Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

internal error compiling python 3.6.4 with icc 2018.1 on centos 7.4

Nolta__Mike
Beginner

Steps to reproduce:

$ wget https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.6.4/Python-3.6.4.tar.xz
$ tar -xaf Python-3.6.4.tar.xz
$ cd Python-3.6.4/
$ ./configure --with-icc
$ icc -I Include -I. -c Modules/_sha3/sha3module.c -o tmp.o
": internal error: ** The compiler has encountered an unexpected problem.
** Segmentation violation signal raised. **
Access violation or stack overflow. Please contact Intel Support for assistance.

compilation aborted for Modules/_sha3/sha3module.c (code 4)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Viet_H_Intel

Hi Mike,

Can you please create a preprocess (sha3module.i), by replace -c with -E, and attach it to us to investigate?

Thanks,

Viet

0 Kudos
Nolta__Mike
Beginner

Sure, attached.

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

Thanks, I've reproduced the problem and will submit this bug to our developer for a fix.

Regards,

Viet

0 Kudos
Niessen__Peter
Beginner

Hello Viet,

did this fix make it into 2018.2?

Cheers, Peter

0 Kudos
HPC-UGent
Beginner

I was also seeing this problem with Intel compilers 2018 update 1, when building Python 3.6.4.

It turns out that there's a workaround for this: the underlying cause for the segmentation fault seems to be that there's a stack limit in place (see output of "ulimit -s"). You may be able to dance around the issue by setting the stack limit to unlimited using "ulimit -s unlimited" (whether that'll work depends on the hard limit, see "ulimit -s -H").

I'm not seeing this problem anymore when building Python 3.6.4 with Intel compilers 2018 update 3 with a stack limit in place, so it seems like the bug has been fixed in either 2018 update 2 or 3.

0 Kudos