cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dominique120
Beginner

ippvalarray fails to compile when using Intels Optimized Headers

Hello,

I'm not sure why, but when I use Intels Optimized Headers(specifically valarray) the compiler will point out about 66 or so syntax errors. I'm unsure why this is happening.

I'm on Visual Studio 2019.4.1(enterprise) and Intel C++ Compiler version 19.1

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Viet_H_Intel

Can you provide us a test case to reproduce the error along with your command line options?

dominique120
Beginner

Sure, my code is a bit complicated so I've written a small example and this one also fails:

#include <valarray>
#include <cstdlib>
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
    int size = 20;
    std::valarray<double> num1(size), num2(size), result(size);

for (int i = 0; i < size; ++i) {
        num1 = std::rand();
        num2 = std::rand();
    }

result = num1 + num2;
    }

std::cout << "Value at position " << i << ": " << result << std::endl;
    }
}

And here is what I see on the command line from the output of the build log. (I'm seting the option from the properties window, I'm not using the command line):

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2020\windows\bin\intel64\icl.exe /c /Qm32 /ZI /nologo /W3 /Od /Quse-intel-optimized-headers /D __INTEL_COMPILER=1910 /D WIN32 /D _DEBUG /D _CONSOLE /D _UNICODE /D UNICODE /EHsc /RTC1 /MDd /GS /permissive- /Zc:wchar_t /Zc:forScope /Fo"Debug\\" /Fd"Debug\vc142.pdb" /Gd /TP /FC l11.cpp

Thanks,

Dominique

Viet_H_Intel

With /Quse-intel-optimized-headers flag, I am seeing the below error. Did you see the same?

C:\Temp>icl /c /Qm32 /ZI /nologo /W3 /Od /Quse-intel-optimized-headers  /D WIN32 /D _DEBUG /D _CONSOLE /D _UNICODE /D UNICODE /EHsc /RTC1 /MDd /GS /permissive- /Zc:wchar_t /Zc:forScope  /Gd /TP /FC test2.cpp
test2.cpp
C:\PROGRA~2\INTELS~1\COMPIL~1.166\windows\compiler\perf_headers/c++/ippvalarray(37): catastrophic error: cannot open source file "ipp.h"
  #include <ipp.h>
                  ^

compilation aborted for test2.cpp (code 4)

dominique120
Beginner

No I'm not seeing that error. I only see the syntax errors I mentioned. Here is a photo. I've not changed any setting other than using Intel's compiler and "Use Intel optimized headers" in the options window.

When I press on one of the errors to the where its pointing to I see the following:

If /Quse-intel-optimized-headers is broken even on your end, what is the correct way to make use of Intels optimized headers?

dominique120
Beginner

I just tested the same code with the same version of Intel's compiler(its the only one I have access to, 19.1) but with the latest version of Visual Studio 2017(15.9.19) and I get the same exact result. 66 syntax errors in ippvalarray and no syntax highlighting for the file.

Both these tests were conducted on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 1809

Viet_H_Intel

Seem to me that you don't have IPP install or somehow didn't have it linked in correctly.

dominique120
Beginner

The compiler and all accompanying tools(vTune, Inspector, etc) all work fine. It can also find the files, it just seems to have a problem interpreting them. I tried on another machine with the default installation of Visual Studio 2017 and the compiler and I get identical results. Have you been able to run the code I posted above? Thanks

Viet_H_Intel

Yes, it compiled after I installed IPP