Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

issue using std::thread and std::ref via icpc

Gagan
Beginner

Hi guys,

there seems to be an issue using std::ref and std:: thread with icpc, even if you use the tbb/thread/compat.h header:

There are no compilation issues on clang++. I am not using the SP1 beta of composer yet, so I am not sure if these issues have been fixed.

I have found the main issue is that std::ref cannot be used with std::thread (when using icpc). I am getting a lot of the following errors:

aProgram.c(747): error: namespace "std" has no member "thread"
threads = std::thread(func1,std::ref(arg1),std::ref(arg2),std::ref(arg3),std::ref(arg4),std::ref(local_eigs),eta,std::ref(arg6),std::ref(iarg6),std::ref(arg8),arg9,arg10,start,end,,std::ref(aMutex));
^

aProgram.c(747): error: namespace "std" has no member "ref"
threads = std::thread(func1,std::ref(arg1),std::ref(arg2),std::ref(arg3),std::ref(arg4),std::ref(local_eigs),eta,std::ref(arg6),std::ref(iarg6),std::ref(arg8),arg9,arg10,start,end,,std::ref(aMutex));
^

^

^

^

^

^

^

^

threads = std::thread(func1,std::ref(arg1),std::ref(arg2),std::ref(arg3),std::ref(arg4),std::ref(local_eigs),eta,std::ref(arg6),std::ref(arg7),std::ref(arg8),arg9,arg10,start,end,,std::ref(aMutex));
^

Unfortunately, I cannot give you guys the program to debug this, but I am certain this is not an issue with the code as it runs without issue using clang++. 

Clang++ is too effin slow for what I'm doing, and so icpc/icc are the only way the program will be fast enough (to my standards), even though it is parallelized extensively.

note: please don't worry about some weird syntax, as I had to edit the filename/parameters to ensure privacy of my program. The key is that the errors are related to both std::ref and std:;thread...

can someone tell me if this has been fixed?

0 Kudos
32 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

As icpc depends on g++ for definition of these things, you need an active g++ installation new enough to support these facilities under -std=c++11, and you must give icpc that option.  icpc would probably not support any facilities not present in g++ 4.7.  If you would give a test case, someone might be able to comment.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II

As a very quick verification take a look if there is a thread header file in Include folder.

0 Kudos
Gagan
Beginner

in the /opt/intel/include or /opt/intel/mkl/include there is no such header, here is the compiler command:

icpc -g -std=c++11 -stdlib=libc++ -O4 -o aProgram aProgram.c -I/usr/local/include -I/opt/intel/composerxe/mkl/include -I/usr/local/include -I/opt/local/include -I/usr/include -L/usr/local/fsl/lib -lfslio -L/usr/local/lib -lniftiio -L/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib -L/opt/intel/composerxe/mkl/lib -liomp5 -lmkl_intel_lp64 -lmkl_intel_thread -lmkl_core -lpthread -lznz -lm -lz
icpc: command line warning #10159: invalid argument for option '-std'
icpc: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '-O4'
aProgram.c(161): error: namespace "std" has no member "ref"

0 Kudos
Casey
Beginner

What version of the intel compiler are you using?  Your version does not seem to recognize c++11 as a valid standard.  Try either upgrading your compiler version (13.1.3 20130607 recognizes c++11) or try using -std=c++0x instead.

0 Kudos
Gagan
Beginner

I'm using 13.0.3 (gcc version 4.2.1 compatibility), but this is weird because I just installed the composerxe for C++ less than a month ago. I know that by default OSX has gcc 4.2.1 and maybe this is why? How can I fix this issue?

I've tried using prebuilt binaries of newer gcc/g++ but I do not like them because they are compiled without many useful flags. 

Does the installer automatically install an older ICPC if it detects an older gcc/g++?? Any help in dealing with this issue would be great.

0 Kudos
Casey
Beginner

You can grab newer versions of the intel compiler from the registrationcenter.intel.com website to install.  For the full c++11 featureset I think you'll need a newer version of gcc.  I don't have the intel compilers on mac so I cannot test there, but I do know that I build gcc/g++ locally on my mac from the macports (http://www.macports.org/) repository.  Through ports you can get gcc/g++ versions 4.7.3, 4.8.1 and nightly versions of 4.9.x among others.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Try either upgrading your compiler version (13.1.3 20130607 recognizes c++11) or try using -std=c++0x instead. Simply to let you know that after some update both options do the same, that is -std=c++0x and -std=c++11. The best way to verify is to use -help option.
0 Kudos
Melanie_B_Intel
Employee

The Intel compiler isn't standalone, it uses host's definition of <stdio.h> etc. gcc 4.2 doesn't provide <thread>. You could try adding the option -use-clang-env to the compile and link steps, this will tell the Intel compiler to use the clang include files and runtime libraries.

0 Kudos
Gagan
Beginner

just tried that Melanie, same error.

It seems like icpc does not like the way I am using c++11's thread to call functions with multiple references.

The weird thing is that I think the 13.1.3 update might fix it because after taking Sergey's advice and doing the --help thing on ICPC, I saw:

Arguments:

val Specifies the specific language standard to conform to. Possible values are:

c89 Conforms to the ISO/IEC 9899:1990 International Standard. This value is only available on Linux* OS and OS X*.

c99 Conforms to The ISO/IEC 9899:1999 International Standard.

c9x This value is equivalent to specifying value c99. This value is only available on Linux* OS and OS X*.

gnu89 Conforms to ISO C90 plus GNU* extensions. This value is only available on Linux* OS and OS X*.

gnu99 Conforms to ISO C99 plus GNU* extensions. This value is only available on Linux* OS and OS X*.

gnu++98 Conforms to the 1998 ISO C++ standard plus GNU extensions. This value is only available on Linux* OS and OS X*.

c++0x Enables support for the following C++11 (formerly known as C++0x) features:

o Atomic types and operations

o Scoped enumeration types

o Defaulted and deleted functions

o Rvalue references

o Empty macro arguments

o Variadic macros

o Type long long

o Trailing comma in enum definition

o Concatenation of mixed-width string literals

o Extended friend declarations

o Use of ">>" to close two template argument lists

o Relaxed rules for use of "typename"

o Relaxed rules for disambiguation using the "template" keyword

o "extern template" to suppress instantiation of an entity

o "auto" type specifier

o decltype operator

o static_assert

o compliant __func__

o lambda expressions

o character types char16_t and char32_t to store UTF-16 and UTF-32 encoding values, respectively

o template aliases

o variadic templates

o nullptr

o late-specified return types as defined in gcc proposal N2541

o default template arguments for function templates

o standard attributes as defined in gcc proposal N2761

o new style SFINAE as defined in gcc proposal N2634

o noexcept

o explicit conversion functions (N2437)

o general initializer lists (partial)

o generalized constant expressions (partial)

o use of "this" in late-specified return types (N3282)

o range based for loops

gnu++0x This value is equivalent to specifying value c++0x. This value is only available on Linux* OS and OS X*.

So I think the icpc version I am using is not fully supporting C++11, is that part of the problem? Seems so, as the other C++11 features would be useless in my specific case. I am using C++11 standard for one reason only: the threading library.

all of my data structures and whatnot are C standard. same with memory allocation.

on that note, I have a quick question regarding memory allocation when using MKL. I use calloc for all allocations. I also make it a habit to declare/allocate via calloc once, and then if I use this structure in a loop, I just bzero it at the beginning. I felt this way would remove wasteful allocation/deallocations, and instead allow me to have one "chunk" that each thread can allocate at the beginning of the function, followed by clearing/using it in the loop, and then freeing at the end of the threaded function.

I saw this option in icpc: 

-inline-calloc
directs the compiler to inline calloc() calls as malloc()/memset()

Such a directive suggests that calloc might be slower than a malloc memset. Is this the case? I never imagined that malloc would be better for what I'm doing (large scale linear algebra, each thread is looping approximately 2000 times where each loop involves getting eigs/svd/pinv of matrices that are no smaller than 100x100).

any help or advice would be great on how to use ICPC with C++11 threads. The composer XE version I am using came with 13.0.3 by default. 

0 Kudos
Gagan
Beginner

just tried that Melanie, same error.

It seems like icpc does not like the way I am using c++11's thread to call functions with multiple references.

The weird thing is that I think the 13.1.3 update might fix it because after taking Sergey's advice and doing the --help thing on ICPC, I saw:

Arguments:

val Specifies the specific language standard to conform to. Possible values are:

c89 Conforms to the ISO/IEC 9899:1990 International Standard. This value is only available on Linux* OS and OS X*.

c99 Conforms to The ISO/IEC 9899:1999 International Standard.

c9x This value is equivalent to specifying value c99. This value is only available on Linux* OS and OS X*.

gnu89 Conforms to ISO C90 plus GNU* extensions. This value is only available on Linux* OS and OS X*.

gnu99 Conforms to ISO C99 plus GNU* extensions. This value is only available on Linux* OS and OS X*.

gnu++98 Conforms to the 1998 ISO C++ standard plus GNU extensions. This value is only available on Linux* OS and OS X*.

c++0x Enables support for the following C++11 (formerly known as C++0x) features:

o Atomic types and operations

o Scoped enumeration types

o Defaulted and deleted functions

o Rvalue references

o Empty macro arguments

o Variadic macros

o Type long long

o Trailing comma in enum definition

o Concatenation of mixed-width string literals

o Extended friend declarations

o Use of ">>" to close two template argument lists

o Relaxed rules for use of "typename"

o Relaxed rules for disambiguation using the "template" keyword

o "extern template" to suppress instantiation of an entity

o "auto" type specifier

o decltype operator

o static_assert

o compliant __func__

o lambda expressions

o character types char16_t and char32_t to store UTF-16 and UTF-32 encoding values, respectively

o template aliases

o variadic templates

o nullptr

o late-specified return types as defined in gcc proposal N2541

o default template arguments for function templates

o standard attributes as defined in gcc proposal N2761

o new style SFINAE as defined in gcc proposal N2634

o noexcept

o explicit conversion functions (N2437)

o general initializer lists (partial)

o generalized constant expressions (partial)

o use of "this" in late-specified return types (N3282)

o range based for loops

gnu++0x This value is equivalent to specifying value c++0x. This value is only available on Linux* OS and OS X*.

So I think the icpc version I am using is not fully supporting C++11, is that part of the problem? Seems so, as the other C++11 features would be useless in my specific case. I am using C++11 standard for one reason only: the threading library.

all of my data structures and whatnot are C standard. same with memory allocation.

on that note, I have a quick question regarding memory allocation when using MKL. I use calloc for all allocations. I also make it a habit to declare/allocate via calloc once, and then if I use this structure in a loop, I just bzero it at the beginning. I felt this way would remove wasteful allocation/deallocations, and instead allow me to have one "chunk" that each thread can allocate at the beginning of the function, followed by clearing/using it in the loop, and then freeing at the end of the threaded function.

I saw this option in icpc: 

-inline-calloc
directs the compiler to inline calloc() calls as malloc()/memset()

Such a directive suggests that calloc might be slower than a malloc memset. Is this the case? I never imagined that malloc would be better for what I'm doing (large scale linear algebra, each thread is looping approximately 2000 times where each loop involves getting eigs/svd/pinv of matrices that are no smaller than 100x100).

any help or advice would be great on how to use ICPC with C++11 threads. The composer XE version I am using came with 13.0.3 by default. 

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>>>aProgram.c(747): error: namespace "std" has no member "thread" >>>>... >>>>aProgram.c(747): error: namespace "std" has no member "ref" >>... I'd like to refer to one of your previous statements: >>... >>in the /opt/intel/include or /opt/intel/mkl/include there is no such header... >>... The thread header needs to be in a regular Non-Intel Include directory of GCC compiler.
0 Kudos
Melanie_B_Intel
Employee

Can you provide preprocessed test case, or even better a small test case which shows the problem. You can open a support ticket at premier.intel.com, and it can be treated confidentially. (The -E switch produces preprocessed source file). I'm not familiar with the inlin-calloc option but reading the documentation page, it says that it may inline the bzero in certain circumstances. There's a separate support forum for MKL.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Such a directive suggests that calloc might be slower than a malloc memset. Is this the case? You could actually verify it in two tests, like: [ Test Case 1 ] ... // Timer start -> T1 ... for( int i = 0; i < 2048; i++ ) { piDataC = ( int * )calloc( 1, sizeof( int ) * 1024 ); } ... // Timer end -> T2 iDeltaC = T2 - T1 ... [ Test Case 2 ] ... // Timer start -> T1 ... for( int i = 0; i < 2048; i++ ) { piDataM = ( int * )malloc( sizeof( int ) * 1024 ); memset( piDataM, 0x0, sizeof( int ) * 1024 ); } ... // Timer end -> T2 iDeltaM = T2 - T1 ... and compare execution times iDeltaC and iDeltaM.
0 Kudos
Gagan
Beginner

Hi Sergey,

I see what you're saying. However my question would be: If I can change the compiler from icpc to clang++, and the #include <thread> directive issue goes away with the latter, how isn't the thread header in the appropriate /include directory?

I did a "locate" for thread and found that the one being used by clang++ likely resides in:

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/thread

I tried including this path manually (-I /usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0) with #include <thread> on icpc, but I get a lot of errors suggesting I'm doing it wrong (heh):

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/bits/stl_relops.h(72): error #77: this declaration has no storage class or type specifier
_GLIBCXX_BEGIN_NAMESPACE_VERSION
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/bits/stl_relops.h(86): error: expected a ";"
template <class _Tp>
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/bits/stl_relops.h(131): warning #12: parsing restarts here after previous syntax error
} // namespace rel_ops
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/bits/move.h(38): error #77: this declaration has no storage class or type specifier
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/bits/move.h(45): error: expected a ";"
template<typename _Tp>
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/bits/move.h(54): warning #12: parsing restarts here after previous syntax error
} // namespace
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(43): error: variable "std::_GLIBCXX_BEGIN_NAMESPACE_VERSION" has already been defined
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(57): error: expected a ";"
template<typename _Tp, _Tp __v>
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(67): error: integral_constant is not a template
typedef integral_constant<bool, true> true_type;
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(70): error: integral_constant is not a template
typedef integral_constant<bool, false> false_type;
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(73): error: integral_constant is not a template
constexpr _Tp integral_constant<_Tp, __v>::value;
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(85): error: not a class or struct name
: public false_type
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(108): error: not a class or struct name
: public true_type
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(128): error: integral_constant is not a template
: public integral_constant<bool, !_Pp::value>
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(128): error: not a class or struct name
: public integral_constant<bool, !_Pp::value>
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(144): error: not a class or struct name
: public false_type { };
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(148): error: not a class or struct name
: public true_type { };
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(153): error: integral_constant is not a template
: public integral_constant<bool, (__is_void_helper<typename
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(153): error: not a class or struct name
: public integral_constant<bool, (__is_void_helper<typename
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(159): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(163): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(167): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(171): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(175): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(180): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(185): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(189): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(193): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(197): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(201): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(205): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(209): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(213): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(217): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(221): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(236): error: integral_constant is not a template
: public integral_constant<bool, (__is_integral_helper<typename
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(236): error: not a class or struct name
: public integral_constant<bool, (__is_integral_helper<typename
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(242): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(246): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(250): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(254): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(265): error: integral_constant is not a template
: public integral_constant<bool, (__is_floating_point_helper<typename
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(265): error: not a class or struct name
: public integral_constant<bool, (__is_floating_point_helper<typename
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(272): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(274): error: namespace "std" has no member "size_t"
template<typename _Tp, std::size_t _Size>
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(280): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(284): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(288): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(293): error: integral_constant is not a template
: public integral_constant<bool, (__is_pointer_helper<typename
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(293): error: not a class or struct name
: public integral_constant<bool, (__is_pointer_helper<typename
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(300): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(304): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(309): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(313): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(320): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(324): error: integral_constant is not a template
: public integral_constant<bool, !is_function<_Tp>::value> { };
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(324): error: not a class or struct name
: public integral_constant<bool, !is_function<_Tp>::value> { };
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(329): error: integral_constant is not a template
: public integral_constant<bool, (__is_member_object_pointer_helper<
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(329): error: not a class or struct name
: public integral_constant<bool, (__is_member_object_pointer_helper<
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(335): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(339): error: integral_constant is not a template
: public integral_constant<bool, is_function<_Tp>::value> { };
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(339): error: not a class or struct name
: public integral_constant<bool, is_function<_Tp>::value> { };
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(344): error: integral_constant is not a template
: public integral_constant<bool, (__is_member_function_pointer_helper<
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(344): error: not a class or struct name
: public integral_constant<bool, (__is_member_function_pointer_helper<
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(351): error: integral_constant is not a template
: public integral_constant<bool, __is_enum(_Tp)>
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(351): error: identifier "__is_enum" is undefined
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(351): error: type name is not allowed
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(351): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(357): error: integral_constant is not a template
: public integral_constant<bool, __is_union(_Tp)>
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(357): error: identifier "__is_union" is undefined
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(357): error: type name is not allowed
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(357): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(363): error: integral_constant is not a template
: public integral_constant<bool, __is_class(_Tp)>
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(363): error: identifier "__is_class" is undefined
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(363): error: type name is not allowed
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(363): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(369): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(373): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(377): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(381): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(385): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(389): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(393): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(397): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(401): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(405): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(408): error: namespace "std" has no member "nullptr_t"
struct __is_nullptr_t_helper<std::nullptr_t>
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(409): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(414): error: integral_constant is not a template
: public integral_constant<bool, (__is_nullptr_t_helper<typename
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(414): error: not a class or struct name
: public integral_constant<bool, (__is_nullptr_t_helper<typename
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(459): error: integral_constant is not a template
: public integral_constant<bool, !is_fundamental<_Tp>::value> { };
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(459): error: not a class or struct name
: public integral_constant<bool, !is_fundamental<_Tp>::value> { };
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(463): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(467): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(472): error: integral_constant is not a template
: public integral_constant<bool, (__is_member_pointer_helper<
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(472): error: not a class or struct name
: public integral_constant<bool, (__is_member_pointer_helper<
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(481): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(485): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(490): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(494): error: not a class or struct name
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(499): error: integral_constant is not a template
: public integral_constant<bool, __is_trivial(_Tp)>
^

/usr/local/include/c++/4.8.0/type_traits(499): error: identifier "__is_trivial" is undefined
: public integral_constant<bool, __is_trivial(_Tp)>
^

0 Kudos
Gagan
Beginner

found a similar post related to my issue here:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/392900

It seems that the way I use clang++ with -stdlib=libc++ -std=c++11 gives me all of the features i need.

it seems the inability to tell icpc that i want to use -stdlib=libc++ is the issue, as clang++ has compilation issues without the stdlib flag.

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...how isn't the thread header in the appropriate /include directory? It is a new addition in STL library. Let me give you some comparison on what is going on with different Visual Studios: - VS 2005 - thread is Not supported - VS 2008 - thread is Not supported - VS 2010 - thread is Not supported - VS 2012 - thread is supported You need to download the most latest version of standalone STL library ( for Linux platforms ) in order to have that header and, of course, a C++ compiler should support latest C++ standard.
0 Kudos
Gagan
Beginner

so just to be clear:

you're saying icpc is looking for the *LINUX* standard of libc++, which by default is not included with any OS X installation of gcc/g++ by either brew/macports/etc?

0 Kudos
Gagan
Beginner

I did more digging.

I don't think a standalone version of the C++11 thread library is available yet, as there is a profiteer trying to sell a standalone version of this library: http://www.stdthread.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,107.0.html

Even this developer says there is trouble with icpc. I am almost certain that the way you guys are asking the tbb_thread to wrap std:;thread is causing an issue, as it can correctly figure out the *type* of each parameter:

aProgram.c(736): error: no instance of constructor "tbb::internal::tbb_thread_v3::tbb_thread_v3" matches the argument list
argument types are: (void (double **&, typedefdStruct *&, double **&, double **&, double **&, double *&, int, int, int, int), <error-type>, <error-type>, <error-type>, <error-type>, <error-type>, <error-type>, int, int, int, int)
threads = tbb::tbb_thread(calcWeights,std::ref(data),std::ref(nbhd),std::ref(W),std::ref(V),std::ref(local_eigs),std::ref(rho),K,d,start, end);

0 Kudos
Gagan
Beginner

I did more digging.

I don't think a standalone version of the C++11 thread library is available yet, as there is a profiteer trying to sell a standalone version of this library: http://www.stdthread.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,107.0.html

Even this developer says there is trouble with icpc. I am almost certain that the way you guys are asking the tbb_thread to wrap std:;thread is causing an issue, as it can correctly figure out the *type* of each parameter:

aProgram.c(736): error: no instance of constructor "tbb::internal::tbb_thread_v3::tbb_thread_v3" matches the argument list
argument types are: (void (double **&, typedefdStruct *&, double **&, double **&, double **&, double *&, int, int, int, int), <error-type>, <error-type>, <error-type>, <error-type>, <error-type>, <error-type>, int, int, int, int)
threads = tbb::tbb_thread(aFunction,std::ref(data),std::ref(nbhd),std::ref(W),std::ref(V),std::ref(local_eigs),std::ref(rho),K,d,start, end);

0 Kudos
Gagan
Beginner

note that what I just showed above is independent of whether the thread is declared as std::thread or tbb:thread:

aProgram.c(734): error: no instance of constructor "tbb::internal::tbb_thread_v3::tbb_thread_v3" matches the argument list
threads = std::thread(aFunction,std::ref(data),std::ref(nbhd),std::ref(W),std::ref(V),std::ref(local_eigs),std::ref(rho),K,d,start,end);

0 Kudos