Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7942 Discussions

issues when installing compilers

white888
Beginner
When I installed C/C++ and FORTRAN compilers (version 11.0.069) in 64-bit CentOS 5.2, I got the following problems:

Step no: 4 of 7 | Installation configuration - Missing Optional Pre-requisite
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is one or more optional unresolved issues. It is highly recommended to fix
it all before you continue the installation. You can fix it without exiting from
the installation and re-check. Or you can quit from the installation, fix it and
run the installation again.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Missing optional pre-requisite
-- cannot determine operating system type
-- system glibc or kernel version not supported or not detectable
------------------------------------------------------------

detailed information:

Cannot determine which operating system is running. Supported operating systems
for this release include:
- Asianux* 3.0
- Debian* 4.0
- Fedora* 9
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux* 3, 4, 5
- SGI ProPack* 5 (IA-64 and Intel 64 only)
- SuSE Linux* Enterprise Server* 9, 10
- Turbo Linux* 11
- Ubuntu* 8.04 (IA-32 and Intel 64 only)

System glibc or kernel version not supported or not detectable.
Supported glibc/kernel versions:
architecture kernel glibc
IA-32 2.4 2.2.93, 2.3.2
IA-32 2.6 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6
IA-64 2.4 2.3.2
IA-64 2.6 2.3, 2.4
Intel 64 2.4 2.3.2
Intel 64 2.6 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6

How to solve?

Thanks
0 Kudos
10 Replies
aazue
New Contributor I
Quoting - white888
When I installed C/C++ and FORTRAN compilers (version 11.0.069) in 64-bit CentOS 5.2, I got the following problems:

There is one or more optional unresolved issues. It is highly recommended to fix
it all before you continue the installation. You can fix it without exiting from
the installation and re-check. Or you can quit from the installation, fix it and
------------------------------------------------------------

detailed information:

- Asianux* 3.0
- Debian* 4.0
- Fedora* 9
- SuSE Linux* Enterprise Server* 9, 10
- Turbo Linux* 11
- Ubuntu* 8.04 (IA-32 and Intel 64 only)

IA-32 2.4 2.2.93, 2.3.2
IA-64 2.4 2.3.2
IA-64 2.6 2.3, 2.4
Intel 64 2.4 2.3.2

How to solve?

Thanks

Hi
have you all packages GNU lib and (Gcc and G++) installed.
Also see if you having link name binary gcc & g++ can be named original as gcc-4.x.x and g++-4.x.x.
Also i think required package ia32-libs if you are in 64.
Kind regards

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
As Bustaf hinted, a likely problem, in the absence of information from you, is that you didn't install the g++ development option. You need also the "compatibility" (32-bit libstdc++) library, and, if installing the "ia32" 32-bit compiler, the "legacy" development (32-bit g++). Besides that, it looks as if you are installing a version which is too old to be fully supported, so you would have to accept installation with "missing prerequisites." In spite of the age of g++ 4.1.2 which probably is included with your OS, you may find C++ header incompatibilities with the old icpc.
0 Kudos
avensue
Beginner

install the g++ development option
0 Kudos
white888
Beginner

Thanks for the help.

I install CentOS 5.4, which was released in Oct., in my pc. I installed all available packages. But I still had suce issue. I am not sure if I installed the g++ development option. Could you give me more detailed infomation?

I also downloaded the latest intel FORTRAN compiler (11.1.059). When I installed it in CentOS 5.4, I got the following info:

-- No compatible Java* Runtime Environment (JRE) found
1. Skip missing optional pre-requisites [default]
2. Show the detailed info about issue(s)
3. Re-check the pre-requisites

h. Help
b. Back to the previous menu
q. Quit
Please type a selection or press "Enter" to accept default choice [1]:

This system does not appear to have a Java* JRE version 5.0 (also referred to as
1.5.0) installed. This may prevent operation of the Intel Debugger GUI. For
further details, please refer to the System Requirement section of the product
Release Notes.
1. See next issue [default]
2. Back to Pre-requisite summary dialog

h. Help
q. Quit

- Asianux* 3.0
- Debian* 5.0
- Fedora* 10 (IA-32 and Intel 64 only)
- SuSE Linux* Enterprise Server* 9, 10, 11
- Turbo Linux* 11
- Ubuntu* 9.04
1. See next issue [default]

h. Help
q. Quit

IA-32 2.4 2.2.93, 2.3.2
IA-64 2.4 2.3.2
IA-64 2.6 2.3, 2.4
Intel 64 2.4 2.3.2
1. Finish with prerequisites and continue installation [default]

h. Help
q. Quit

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Just about everything which can be said is already on this forum or the linux Fortran forum.
The following commands must work in order for the installer to work:
g++ -print-search-dirs
rpm -qa glibc
If you want to install the ia32 compilers, you need the 32-bit (g++ -m32) as well as (on x86_64) the 64-bit versions. You need the "compatibility" library (libstdc++ 32-bit) anyway.
There is probably no JRE included in the installation. If you want to use the idb GUI debugger, you must install JRE from the Sun web site (the x86_64 one if that corresponds to what you are running), as well as Firefox to support the idb help button, with "mozilla" set up as a symlink to start Firefox. The current installer has a bug; it won't recognize the current Sun JRE even when correctly installed, so you will still have to accept "missing" prerequisite and continue installation. If the "java" on PATH is a symlink to gij (gnu byte code interpreter), that symlink should be removed before installing Sun JRE.
0 Kudos
white888
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
Just about everything which can be said is already on this forum or the linux Fortran forum.
The following commands must work in order for the installer to work:
g++ -print-search-dirs
rpm -qa glibc
If you want to install the ia32 compilers, you need the 32-bit (g++ -m32) as well as (on x86_64) the 64-bit versions. You need the "compatibility" library (libstdc++ 32-bit) anyway.
There is probably no JRE included in the installation. If you want to use the idb GUI debugger, you must install JRE from the Sun web site (the x86_64 one if that corresponds to what you are running), as well as Firefox to support the idb help button, with "mozilla" set up as a symlink to start Firefox. The current installer has a bug; it won't recognize the current Sun JRE even when correctly installed, so you will still have to accept "missing" prerequisite and continue installation. If the "java" on PATH is a symlink to gij (gnu byte code interpreter), that symlink should be removed before installing Sun JRE.

I have to ask you some basic questions. Thanks so much.

1) I issued the two commands, I got:

% g++ -print-search-dirs
install: /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/
programs: =/usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/:/usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/:/usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/:/usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/:/usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/../../../../x86_64-redhat-linux/bin/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/../../../../x86_64-redhat-linux/bin/
libraries: =/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/../../../../x86_64-redhat-linux/lib/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/../../../../x86_64-redhat-linux/lib/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/../../../x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/:/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/../../../:/lib/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/:/lib/:/usr/lib/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.1.2/:/usr/lib/

% rpm -qa glibc
glibc-2.5-42
glibc-2.5-42

Does my system include what is needed?

2) "If you want to install the ia32 compilers, you need the 32-bit (g++ -m32) as well as (on x86_64) the 64-bit versions. You need the "compatibility" library (libstdc++ 32-bit) anyway."

This means that I need is32 package instead of ia64 package. Is it right?

There are lots of compatibility libraries, for example, compat-libstdc++-296-2.96-138.i386.rpm, compat-libstdc++-33-3.2.3 (32 bit), and so on. Do you know which is needed?

3) Is the following website where I can download and install JRE 1.6?
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/webnotes/install/system-configurations.html

If the "java" on PATH is a symlink to gij (gnu byte code interpreter), that symlink should be removed before installing Sun JRE.
How and where do I check the link?

Do I need to install Eclipise to start idb GUI debugger?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
It looks like you have a normal installation of 64-bit g++ and glibc.
As you are running a 64-bit system, you must have working 64-bit g++. The components you show should support the ifort intel64 installation. In addition, if you wish to install 32-bit icc, you must have the working 32-bit "g++ -m32".
The libstdc++-33 32-bit is required for icc installation. I generally install both 32- and 64-bit libstdc++-33, along with the more up to date libstdc++ which comes with g++.
Yes, java.sun.com is the right place. You need the x86_64 linux version. The 32-bit version ought to run, but will not support icc.
Before you install the Sun JRE, try
which java
If it shows /usr/bin/java, try
ls -l /usr/bin/java
to see if that is a symlink to gij. If so, (with root privilege) remove it:
rm /usr/bin/java.
The Sun JRE installation will use /usr/bin/java as a symlink to itself; without that, icc won't find it. You'll probably still get a complaint from the installer due to the bug, but you can proceed.
You don't install an Eclipse to use the idb GUI debugger. In the icc ia32 installation, there are Eclipse options where the installer installs Eclipse automatically, but that is independent of idb.
0 Kudos
white888
Beginner
Anyway, I installed both C++ and FORTRAN compilers even with these warning. Seems they work well.

I have another problem. I want to debug my code in idb (with GUI). When the program stopped at a break point, I want to check some values of a array. The size of the array is 200. Look at the following. I can check some individual values in console window. However, I couldn't check the values with index from 10 to 20 in the array. How can I get these values in idb?

(idb) p cmp[100]
$1 = 0.014085453
(idb) p cmp[0]
$2 = -0.0065141404
(idb) p cmp[10:20]
Unable to parse input as legal command or C expression.
(idb) p cmp[10..20]

cmp is a 1-D array in C/C++. If I have 2D array or 3D array, how can I check their values with certain ranges? For example, for a 3D array a[30][40][50], I want to check a[5:6][30:35][20:30].

If I want to do the samething in idb with a FORTRAN code, how should I do?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
according to a quick Google search (perish the thought):
http://docs.sun.com/source/819-3683/data.html#42068
0 Kudos
white888
Beginner
Quoting - tim18
according to a quick Google search (perish the thought):
http://docs.sun.com/source/819-3683/data.html#42068

I did exactly the same way as described in the web page. But I still had the problem.

(idb) print cmp[10..20]

Maybe there is a bug in idb?

0 Kudos