Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

linux-openmpi-compilation

diedro
Beginner

dear all,

I am new in openMPI world and in general in parallelization.

I have some problems with configuration of openMPI in my laptop.

I have read your FAQ and I tried to google the problem but I was not able to solve it.The problem is:
I have downloaded the openmpi-1.6.3, unpacked it Then I have installed on my pc intel icc and icpc.when I run:./configure CC=icc CXX=icpc F77=ifort FC=ifort
I get:

[php]
*** Startup tests

checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

checking target system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu

checking for gcc... icc

checking whether the C compiler works... no

configure: error: in `/home/diedro/Downloads/openmpi-1.6.3':configure:

error: C compiler cannot create executables

See `config.log' for more details

diedro@diedro-Latitude-E6420:~/Desktop/Downloads/openmpi-1.6.3$ 

[/php]

I do not understand why. I did a simple hello project with icc and it works.(in attachment you can fiend the config.log)

I think that it is some problem with bash file:

[php]

PATH="/opt/intel/bin/compilervars.sh intel64$PATH"
source /opt/intel/bin/compilervars.sh intel64
source /opt/intel/mkl/bin/mklvars.sh intel64 mod lp64
export PATH

[/php]

but I don not know what because as I told you when I run a simple hello project with icc and it works

Really thanks for any help

0 Kudos
6 Replies
diedro
Beginner
dear all, My fault in the new version you need to do exactly like the FAQ told you and to not use icc or ifort o gcc, simple: [php] shell$ gunzip -c openmpi-1.6.3.tar.gz | tar xf - shell$ cd openmpi-1.6.3 shell$ ./configure --p [/php]
0 Kudos
bernaske
New Contributor I
Hi dedro i have download openMPI 1.6.3 and configure with the same options as you, than i compile it with make under openSUSE 12.2 M2 x86_64 with Kernel 3.6.7 and Intel Parallel Studio XE 2013 64 Bit update 1 for linux without any Problems. i think your main problems are the wrong environment settings in your bash file(s), here a sample of my .bashrc export PATH=$PATH:/opt/cuda-5.0:/usr/local/cuda-5.0/bin:/opt/intel/composer_xe_2013.1.117/bin/intel64:/opt/intel/composer_xe_2013.1.117/ipp/bin/intel64:/opt/composer_xe_2013.1.117/mkl/bin/intel64:/opt/intel/impi/4.1.0.024/intel64/bin export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/cuda-5.0/common/lib/linux/x86_64:/usr/local/cuda-5.0/lib:/usr/local/cuda-5.0/lib64:/opt/intel/composer_xe_2013.1.117/compiler/lib/intel64:/opt/intel/mkl/lib/intel64:/opt/intel/ipp/lib/intel64:/opt/intel/tbb/lib/intel64:/opt/intel/impi/4.1.0.024/intel64/lib export IPPROOT=/opt/intel/composer_xe_2013.1.117/ipp i use this settings for all users and any user can compile the openMPI-1.6.3 without any problems cheers Franz
0 Kudos
diedro
Beginner
Dear Franz, I do not understand. do you simple run "./configure --p"? this means that you use the default gcc,g++ and gnufort to compile openMPI, is it right? in your bash I do not understand especially "export IPPROOT=/opt/intel/composer_xe_2013.1.117/ipp" I use [php] PATH="/opt/intel/bin/compilervars.sh intel64$PATH" source /opt/intel/bin/compilervars.sh intel64 source /opt/intel/mkl/bin/mklvars.sh intel64 mod lp64 export PATH [/php] In this way when I compile a simple hello project it works with icc or ifort. ./configure ././configure CC=icc F77=ifort FC=ifort configure CC=icc F77=ifort FC=ifort does not work. what do you think? thanks
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
Please follow openmpi faq about configure and how to ask questions. Does reported error relate to failure to specify CXX=icpc?
0 Kudos
diedro
Beginner
dear TimP and Franz, I have followed the FAQ. In the FAQ the say that the most common problem is that most people use icc instead of icpc for c++ part. The intel user need to compile as: [php] shell$ ./configure CC=icc CXX=icpc F77=ifort FC=ifort ... [/php] I wrote to openMPI mailing list, they told me thar is a icc problem but when I run a simple hello project it runs. Or it is an installation problem. I have installed intel fortran and intel c\c++ in the same default folder, is it correct? thanks
0 Kudos
bernaske
New Contributor I
okay this is correct, default the Intel installation program installs the c/c++ and the fortran compiler in he same folder. i have use this type of environment setting for dedicade setting the environment export PATH=$PATH:/opt/cuda-5.0:/usr/local/cuda-5.0/bin:/opt/intel/composer_xe_2013.1.117/bin/intel64:/opt/intel/composer_xe_2013.1.117/ipp/bin/intel64:/opt/composer_xe_2013.1.117/mkl/bin/intel64:/opt/intel/impi/4.1.0.024/intel64/bin export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/opt/cuda-5.0/common/lib/linux/x86_64:/usr/local/cuda-5.0/lib:/usr/local/cuda-5.0/lib64:/opt/intel/composer_xe_2013.1.117/compiler/lib/intel64:/opt/intel/mkl/lib/intel64:/opt/intel/ipp/lib/intel64:/opt/intel/tbb/lib/intel64:/opt/intel/impi/4.1.0.024/intel64/lib export IPPROOT=/opt/intel/composer_xe_2013.1.117/ipp the IPPROOT is the setting for Integrated Performancd Primitive short IPP environment, i have include this settings in each .bashrc for any user, you can for modify as you need for each user other: this is the result from ./configure --p: linux-cuda:/ibm_supercomputing/openmpi-1.6.3 # ./configure --p configure: error: missing argument to --prefix linux-cuda:/ibm_supercomputing/openmpi-1.6.3 # i have with my settings no problems with the ICC and his components such as MKL, IPP the debugger IDB or the Profiler on my workstation i permanent use my CUDA SDK 5.0 + gcc-4.6.3 and the Intel C/C++ for performance critical standard c/c++ apps. tip: check after reboot your environment with follows: echo $PATH = info PATH settings echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH = info LIB-PATH Settings when you find in both the settings for the Intel c/c++ and fortran then normally all works correct cheers Franz
0 Kudos