Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

mpicxx using g++ instead of icc

Diego_V_
Beginner

Hello,

I've just installed the latest Intel distribution for Fortran, C++, and MPI (2018/2 version). However i typed "mpicxx" in terminal to check and it gave the following message:

This script invokes an appropriate specialized C++ MPI compiler driver.
The following ways (priority order) can be used for changing default
compiler name (g++):
   1. Command line option:  -cxx=<compiler_name>
   2. Environment variable: I_MPI_CXX  (current value '')
   3. Environment variable: MPICH_CXX  (current value '')

It shouldn't use the intel compiler by default? How do I do that?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
TimP
Honored Contributor III

You'll probably need to read the docs anyway; isn't it still called "getting started...."?  You're getting more instruction than it used to give.  Apparently, you could use mpicxx -cxx=icpc (if on linux) as well as mpiicpc if you want icpc as the compiler.  The developers always thought it was important to preserve g++ functioning.  What some people have done to lock out g++ is to rename the python scripts (contrary to instructions). As for trying to do without the docs, you'll find that many essential command line options differ among the main MPI implementations; although Intel MPI started out based on mpich1, you'll find differences even there.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

You'll probably need to read the docs anyway; isn't it still called "getting started...."?  You're getting more instruction than it used to give.  Apparently, you could use mpicxx -cxx=icpc (if on linux) as well as mpiicpc if you want icpc as the compiler.  The developers always thought it was important to preserve g++ functioning.  What some people have done to lock out g++ is to rename the python scripts (contrary to instructions). As for trying to do without the docs, you'll find that many essential command line options differ among the main MPI implementations; although Intel MPI started out based on mpich1, you'll find differences even there.

0 Kudos
Diego_V_
Beginner

Thank you Tim. Yes I guess it is the right thing to do (preserve g++ functioning). Now i saw that there the other options using the Intel compilers by default, as mpiicpc for example. Sorry for the basic question, just getting started with it and nobody close uses these compilers =D

0 Kudos