cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
geco2
Beginner

namespaces; CXX0017: Error: symbol not found

Hi!

I am new to Intel C++ Composer. I have a very simple question about using namespaces.

I am using VS2010 SP1 and Intel C++ Composer XE-2011 Update 5.

If I set a breakpoint at "return 0;" then I cannot access the variable test::i in VS watch window
if I compile with Intel Composer. It is written that "CXX0017: Error: symbol "test::i" not found". But if I compile with Visual C++ there is no problem, the variable can be viewed and accessed.

#include "stdafx.h"

namespace test
{
int i=10;
}

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
{
return 0;
}

Thanks a lot!!! I am spending hours and cannot figure it out:)
0 Kudos
9 Replies

Hi,

thanks for reporting this issue. I first thought the variable i would be optimized away, but it is not the case. In assembler view I see the memory reference. So it should be visible in the debug view.

Because the Intel* compiler should behave the same as the Microsoft* compiler, this should work. I can reproduce that on my machine. I will make some more investigations and give you an update later.

Thanks,
Alex

Hi,

I've found a similar bug in our internal bug tracking system. For your reference, the number is: DPD200152957. I will add you to the affected customers.

Thanks,
Alex
Om_S_Intel
Employee

In my view it should be optimized out as dead code by the compiler.
geco2
Beginner

But the optimizations were disabled (Debug mode). And I was also using a more complex program in a Debug mode and could not access anything from namespaces in VS Watch window by using the syntax "namespace::variable". Whereas, in Visual C++ every variable could be viewed.

Om,

thats definitely a bug. I changed the example a little bit to the following:
[cpp]#include "stdafx.h"

namespace test {
    int i=10;
}

int z = 10; //visible

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[]) {
	return test::i; //test::i not visible
}[/cpp]
Making a debug build with opimization turned of. With the result having a breakpoint at the return test::i:

So the test::i is not recognized in the watch list, but it's recognized in the dissassembly. And the never used z variable is visible. So it's not a matter of optimization here.

Alex
airborne18th
Beginner

What is the status of this issue? Is there a work around? or just waiting for a new update?

Hi,
at the moment I don't know a workaround for that. So you may have to wait. Is it urgent for you?
Alex
airborne18th
Beginner

Hi Alex,
No it is not urgent.

Thanks for quick response.

Hi,

This issue is fixed in the latest Studio XE 2015 Composer edition product.  Please refer to this article for new product names.

Thanks,
Alex