Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

needing libstdc++.so.5

richardrl
Beginner
I'm trying to install c++ and I'm getting the message in the installer that libstdc++.so.5 is missing on my system.

However, I have gcc 4.1.2 installed and also installed libstdc++ version 3.3.

I'm running gentoo. Anyone have ideas on what I need to do here?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
sgwood
Beginner
Quoting - richardrl
I'm trying to install c++ and I'm getting the message in the installer that libstdc++.so.5 is missing on my system.

However, I have gcc 4.1.2 installed and also installed libstdc++ version 3.3.

I'm running gentoo. Anyone have ideas on what I need to do here?

I just ran into a similar problem with Fedora 10 and version 11 release 074 of icpc. I fixed the problem by simply downloading a libstdc++.so.5 rpm and installing it. I found the rpm here:

http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=libstdc%2B%2B.so.5

-Simon
0 Kudos
richardrl
Beginner

Well, I'd like to keep using my package manager (portage, and not install rpm's) and I know gentoo has the libs, but I'm guessing it's just a naming issue and something I can fix with a link, but not sure what it needs to be.
0 Kudos
sgwood
Beginner
Quoting - richardrl

Well, I'd like to keep using my package manager (portage, and not install rpm's) and I know gentoo has the libs, but I'm guessing it's just a naming issue and something I can fix with a link, but not sure what it needs to be.

Originally I tried the following: ln -s /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.10 /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5

The above line will got my past the installation stage. However, when I actually tried to use the compiler I received a number of errors about missing functions and/or incorrect parameters.

-Simon
0 Kudos
richardrl
Beginner
I'm not having much luck installing this compiler. I was going through the install.sh scripts and came across this command, which seems to say I have these libraries.

Anyone have ideas?

# ldconfig -p | grep libstdc++
libstdc++.so.6 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/libstdc++.so.6
libstdc++.so.6 (libc6) => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/32/libstdc++.so.6
libstdc++.so.5 (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib64/libstdc++-v3/libstdc++.so.5
libstdc++.so.5 (libc6) => /usr/lib32/libstdc++-v3/libstdc++.so.5
libstdc++.so.2.9 (libc6) => /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.2.9
libstdc++.so.2.8 (libc6) => /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.2.8
libstdc++.so.2.7.2 (libc6) => /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.2.7.2
libstdc++.so (libc6,x86-64) => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/libstdc++.so
libstdc++.so (libc6) => /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.1.2/32/libstdc++.so
libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 (libc6) => /usr/lib32/libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3
libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2 (libc6) => /usr/lib32/libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2

And I know libstdc++ is installed as shown, so I didn't follow up on the rpms because none supported my platform.
0 Kudos
Kevin_D_Intel
Employee
There is a similar ongoing thread involving the Fortran compiler 11.0 installation on Gentoo here that you might keep an eye for developments regarding a resolution.
0 Kudos
holysword
Novice

Hi

I got the same problem here, and asked in gentoo forums. There is an entry in bugs.gentoo about it, and they already made an ebuild too. It works, but takes a really long time (more than 30 hours in my Q6600... I don't know if the original installator takes all this time).

I am in need of such thing for ifc and mkl as well, but seems that they didn't created such ebuild for it yet. Take a look here.

0 Kudos
Mark_S_Intel1
Employee
The solution provided by Ronald Green (Intel) inFortran compiler 11.0 forum at http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=62836should also resolve this issue.

0 Kudos