Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

[[noreturn]] not supported in Intel Compiler 15.0 Update 6

AndrewC
New Contributor III
struct S { [[noreturn]] void function() const; }; Fails to compile with Intel Compiler 15.0 Update 6 (but does compile with Intel Compiler 16.0 Update 1) 1>CompileTest.cpp(7): error : expected an attribute name 1> [[noreturn]] void function() const; 1> ^ This breaks Intel Compiler 15.0 Update 6 support for Visual Studio 2015 Update 1 as this construct is used in many headers Is this likely to be fixed in an update to Intel Compiler 15.0?
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

There are no more scheduled updates for 15.0.

0 Kudos
AndrewC
New Contributor III

That's pretty harsh... too bad for anyone using Visual Studio 2015. So essentially Intel C++ Composer XE 2015 can only be used with Visual Studio 2013 and earlier.

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

@vasci_: 
Hi,  can you please let me know if you can upgrade to 16.0 Update 1 release? Appreciate your input so I can pass it on to the product team, thanks.
_Kittur

0 Kudos
AndrewC
New Contributor III

Yes, I can upgrade to Intel Compiler 16.0 - I am just not happy about being forced to do it.

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

@vasci_:  Thanks for your input and I'll pass on your feedback to the product team. Appreciate your upgrading to 16.0 and I'll keep you posted if there's any new update from the team as well.
_Kittur

0 Kudos
dnesteruk
Beginner

I just wanted to voice my personal disappointment with the response given above. I don't see how you can, at any point in time, have a version of a product that is fundamentally unusable with Visual Studio 2015. It is virtually unthinkable that a major company such as Intel allows such a situation to develop in the first place.

0 Kudos
Kittur_G_Intel
Employee

Hi @dnesteruk:  
Pardon the inconvenience. The original VS2015 was fully tested  with the 15.X compiler but unfortunately MS introduced these breaking changes in VS2015 which came about after the 16.0 version was already launched. These new changes in VS2015 update 1 were addressed in the latest shipping product, which is 16.0 compiler (part of the 2016 suite products). Therefore our recommendation for resolving this issue is for you to upgrade to the 16.X version.

Is it feasible for you to upgrade to the 16.0 compiler version? Appreciate your input so I can escalate and pass on your input to the product team accordingly, appreciate much..

Regards,
Kittur 

0 Kudos