Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

parallel_studio_xe_2011_sp1_update2

Santosh_S_1
Beginner

Hello Everyone,

I have installed the Parallel Studio (parallel_studio_xe_2011_sp1_update2_intel64_setup.exe) on my Linux box. The compilation seems 2-3 time  slower compared to intel 11.1 compiler. I  tried to perform the test on  "Hello World" Program and see the same behaviour.  

Thanks.

Santosh

0 Kudos
6 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...I have installed the Parallel Studio (parallel_studio_xe_2011_sp1_update2_intel64_setup.exe) on my Linux box. The compilation >>seems 2-3 time slower compared to intel 11.1 compiler... Please provide more technical details. Thanks in advance. PS: I still use IPS 2011 SP1 Update 3 ( our versions are very close / however on Windows XP ) and I didn't have any performance related issues with compilation on a real project ( not a small test-case ).
0 Kudos
Santosh_S_1
Beginner

Hi Sergey,

I have installed the IPS SP3 Update3 yesterday and with that compilation is extremely fast but I am concern about the  IPS SP3 Update2, actually all our builds are being created  with the IPS SP3 Update2. Can you please confirm if there is any compilation time issue with Update2

Details:

Installer: parallel_studio_xe_2011_sp1_update2_intel64_setup.exe ( IPS SP3 Update2)

Version Info:

spsingh@punsuppalalnx.ansys.com[262] icc --version
icc (ICC) 12.1.3 20120212
Copyright (C) 1985-2012 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved

Machine Info:

processor : 31
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 45
model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2665 0 @ 2.40GHz
stepping : 7
cpu MHz : 1200.000
cache size : 20480 KB
physical id : 1
siblings : 16
core id : 7
cpu cores : 8
apicid : 47
initial apicid : 47
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 13
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx pdpe1gb rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm dca sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic popcnt aes xsave avx lahf_lm ida arat epb xsaveopt pln pts dts tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid
bogomips : 4791.12
clflush size : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes : 46 bits physical, 48 bits virtual

Please let me know if you need any details from my side.

Thanks.

Santosh

These are the details

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...Can you please confirm if there is any compilation time issue with Update2... Sorry, I can't confirm it and please take a look at a list of fixes: Web-topic: List of fixes for Intel(R) Composer XE 2011 compilers ( no further updates ): Web-link: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-composer-xe-2011-compilers-fixes-list I think you need to move on a more stable / latest update.
0 Kudos
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee
Hello Santosh, the only reason I know of that could have this effect is the license check-out done with every compiler invocation. Which license model are you using (floating or single)? Floating licenses require connection to a license manager. This is usually done via network and thus slower than installing single license files on the local system. I'm also confused about "parallel_studio_xe_2011_sp1_update2_intel64_setup.exe". Didn't you mean "parallel_studio_xe_2011_sp1_update2_intel64.tgz"? Best regards, Georg Zitzlsberger
0 Kudos
Santosh_S_1
Beginner

Hi Georg,

That was just by mistake, I mean to say ""parallel_studio_xe_2011_sp1_update2_intel64.tgz". actually I am using floatinng license. I have installed    "parallel_studio_xe_2011_sp1_update3_intel64.tgz and poining it the same same license server and it is compiling very fast (2 -3 time faster). I  am fine to move to update3 but before I  just want confirmation if there was real issue with update2. 

Thanks.

Santosh

0 Kudos
Georg_Z_Intel
Employee
Hello, the differences between Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2011 Update 2 & Update 3 are ranging from Update 9 to Update 11 for the enclosed Intel(R) Composer package (which contains the compiler). According to the fix list we made some corrections in this area but non was explicitly described to be related to performance. Nevertheless, not all improvements are documented as tickets because engineers also fix problems they observe themselves. In addition, those updates only get smaller changes and improvements observed should last for the remaining updates as well. Unfortunately, I cannot name you exactly who fixed this and when (possible but efforts to investigate are quite high), but improvements like that are to be expected. While you are moving to a newer version already: I'd recommend to use the latest Intel(R) Composer XE 2011 Update 13 version which you have to update/install manually after installing Intel(R) Parallel Studio XE 2011 Update 3. The latter only contains Intel(R) Composer XE 2011 Update 11. Best regards, Georg Zitzlsberger
0 Kudos