Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with memcpy()

Hi. 

I recently updated Intel compiler to version 14.0.2.176 [IA-32] on Windows. One of the projects started to generate runtime errors. After debugging, I isolated the problem to a memcpy "call".  The relevant part of the code is:

float  mat[3][3];
  float  mataux[3][3] ;

memcpy(mataux, mat,sizeof(mataux));

That routine have not changed for years. If I compile with the previous version of the compiler, or if compile for debug, or if I change to memmove() or if I copy the matrix elements with a loop, the problem vanished. Also, if other compiler is used, the problem vanished too.

In fact, the compiler is not calling the __intel_fast_memcpy  , it is generating an inlined version of memcpy(). See the ASM listing of the generated code :

;;;
;;;   memcpy(mataux, mat,sizeof(mataux));

movaps    xmm1, XMMWORD PTR [100+esp]                   ;1460.3
$LN4593:
        movaps    XMMWORD PTR [148+esp], xmm1                   ;1460.3
$LN4594:
        movaps    xmm5, XMMWORD PTR [116+esp]                   ;1460.3
$LN4595:
        movaps    XMMWORD PTR [164+esp], xmm5                   ;1460.3
$LN4596:
        mov       edi, DWORD PTR [132+esp]                      ;1460.3
$LN4597:
        mov       DWORD PTR [180+esp], edi                      ;1460.3
$LN4598:

In other parts of the code where memcpy is generating the call to __intel_fast_memcpy, there is no problem.

Additional information:

Compiler switches :

/c /O3 /Ob2 /Oi /Ot /Oy /Qip /GA /D "WIN32" /D "NDEBUG" /D "_WINDOWS" /D "MYSDL_MEVIS" /D "___MNPS_PROJECT___" /D "_MBCS" /MT /Zp1 /GS- /fp:fast /J /GR- /Fo"Release/" /Fd"Release/vc90.pdb" /W3 /nologo /Zi /TC /Qopenmp /QxSSE3 /Qopt-matmul- /Quse-intel-optimized-headers /fp:double /Qstd=c99 /Qrestrict /Qdiag-disable:1786,2557

Running on Windows 7 or 8 or Vista. All processors are Intel I7 of several generations.

Thanks.

Armando

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Bernard
Black Belt

>>>I recently updated Intel compiler to version 14.0.2.176 [IA-32] on Windows. One of the projects started to generate runtime errors>>>

Can you provide more description regarding those runtime errors?I presume that you are seeing access violation errors.

TimP
Black Belt

Is the problem associated with /fp:double or the setting of conflicting /fp: options?

The thread 'Win32 Thread' (0x3a20) has exited with code 0 (0x0).
Unhandled exception at 0x77d715de in MNPS.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000000.
The program '[13668] MNPS.exe: Native' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

Debugger goes to module tidtable.c  and  stoped in :

_CRTIMP PFLS_GETVALUE_FUNCTION __cdecl __set_flsgetvalue()
{
#ifdef _M_IX86
    PFLS_GETVALUE_FUNCTION flsGetValue = FLS_GETVALUE;   <= here
    if (!flsGetValue)
    {
        flsGetValue = _decode_pointer(gpFlsGetValue);
        TlsSetValue(__getvalueindex, flsGetValue);
    }
    return flsGetValue;
#else  /* _M_IX86 */
    return NULL;
#endif  /* _M_IX86 */
}

Tim Prince wrote:

Is the problem associated with /fp:double or the setting of conflicting /fp: options?

Is there any thing wrong in using FP model as FAST and FP expression evaluation as DOUBLE ? 

Or I missed something else ?

Bernard
Black Belt

>>>PFLS_GETVALUE_FUNCTION flsGetValue = FLS_GETVALUE;   <= here>>.

I suppose that probably flsGetValue pointer  is initialized to null.

Bernard
Black Belt

Can you post call stack?

Btw, it does not look like the problem is directly related to memcpy().

iliyapolak wrote:

>>>PFLS_GETVALUE_FUNCTION flsGetValue = FLS_GETVALUE;   <= here>>.

I suppose that probably flsGetValue pointer  is initialized to null.

But this is a system runtime file, I do not know what it does.

TimP
Black Belt

Armando Lazaro Alaminos Bouza wrote:

Quote:

Tim Prince wrote:

Is there any thing wrong in using FP model as FAST and FP expression evaluation as DOUBLE ? 

Or I missed something else ?

Although you might argue that the last /fp: option should cause earlier ones to be ignored (and not doing so would be a bug), I doubt this gets full testing.  Your comment seems to indicate that you expect the compiler to choose certain features of each option.  If you want /fp:double with some of the features of /fp:fast, in my opinion, you should specify such features explicitly after setting /fp:double, e.g. /Qftz /Qprec-div-   As far as I know, you will not be able to get the effect of prec-div- prec-sqrt- in the same code expansion as double evaluation of float expressions.

In one context (float complex divide/sqrt/abs) the default /fp:fast=1 should do the same thing as /fp:double.  In other respects, those options are contradictory.

It's not clear that this has an impact on your issue with in-line replacement of memcpy, or, if it does, whether that would be considered a compiler bug, but having too many options, not tested in combination, could confuse the issue.

Bernard
Black Belt

>>>But this is a system runtime file, I do not know what it does.>>>

That file could be probably related to somehow to Fiber functions http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms683141(v=vs.85).aspx