Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

queries needed to be Cleared before buying C++ Compiler for mac Ox

Sunny_Beast
Beginner
Dear Support provider

I was using the evaluation version of MKL and C++ Xe Composer till today.
And I must say I liked it a lot and seriously thinking to buy a suscription, though there are few doubts as follows...

--> Is it possible to update the librariries and compileres as soon as Intel release a new update.
--> if yes do we have to pay extra for that.

I am using Intel Core7i and Mac 10.6 and evaluated update 4 of C++ Xe Composer for Mac.
and planning to upgrade my system to Power mac - which has three coer7i processors and Mac-Lion and xcode 4.1

-->I was wondering till when C++ Xe Composer will be updated for Mac lion and xcode 4.1.

-->Also I found, altough vectorization of loops helped in increasing the performence but adivces provided by "GAP" for parallelization doesn't help much. so my qurrey is would they be helpfull with power mac.

-->Other qurrey is when a program is parallelized --> it works on multiple cores or -->it work on multiple processors.

As the documentation file for update 4 was broken I wasn't able to play much with the compiler or read about how various processes work.

Anyway my evaluation version is getting over tomorrow, and I was wondering is it possible for to have one more month of evaluation so That I can better evaluate the compiler.

Also can you provide me the link for online documentation of C++ compiler for Mac Ox.

Sincerely

Please Guide!!!!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Om_S_Intel
Employee

I am providing the answere to your question below:

--> Is it possible to update the librariries and compileres as soon as Intel release a new update.
--> if yes do we have to pay extra for that.

Answer: Yes. You can down load updates free of cost as long as support for your license active. Usually it is one year from the date of purchase. You can get support extended by subscribing it agian by paying required subscription.

-->I was wondering till when C++ Xe Composer will be updated for Mac lion and xcode 4.1.

Answer:We will post reply here as soon as we release C++ Composer XE with lion support.

-->Also I found, altough vectorization of loops helped in increasing the performence but adivces provided by "GAP" for parallelization doesn't help much. so my qurrey is would they be helpfull with power mac.

Answer: The GAP is implemented in Intel C++ composer and it is not supported on IBM power processors.

-->Other qurrey is when a program is parallelized --> it works on multiple cores or -->it work on multiple processors.

Answer: The autoparallelizationby Intel compiler is implemented using multiple threads in single process. The thread use multiple cores.

Om

0 Kudos
Sunny_Beast
Beginner

Thanks

[qoute]-->Also I found, altough vectorization of loops helped in increasing the performence but adivces provided by "GAP" for parallelization doesn't help much. so my qurrey is would they be helpfull with power mac.

Answer: The GAP is implemented in Intel C++ composer and it is not supported on IBM power processors.[\qoute]

I am upgrading my system to Mac Pro which has Two 2.66GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Westmere processors.
my query is would Xe composer be helpfull to build application which are which can use use all 12 cores and and will be ~12 time faster than normal GCC builded application..

thanking you
0 Kudos
Om_S_Intel
Employee
The Intel C++ composer can generate the code for Intel Xeon Westmere processors. The autoparallelizermay parallelise some code segments. The scaling depends on the amount of serial code in the code. Also you need to consider overhead when running parallized code. I am sure you would not get 12x scaling. It would be much less.

0 Kudos