Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

"ICL Intel® C++ Compiler XE 15.0" does not appear as option in Xcode 6

Jaime_Rios
Beginner

I installed the trial version of the "Intel® Integrated Native Developer Experience 2015 Build Edition for OS X*" and found that the "ICL Intel® C++ Compiler XE 15.0" option is not available in Xcode 6 for compiling either C or C++ files.

Is this a known problem with the installer?

BTW, this thread was originally posted to both https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/535238 and https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/535084 by error. Sorry.

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Alexander_W_Intel

Hi Jaime,

Xcode 6 does not seem to be supported according to the Release Notes. Xcode* 5.0 or 5.1 are the only official supported versions. 

Thanks,
Alex

0 Kudos
Jaime_Rios
Beginner

Well, I hope they change their requirements soon since the adoption rate of 10.10 is higher than 10.9 and your average developer probably won't run Xcode 5 on 10.10.

Is there at least a workaround to this problem?

0 Kudos
JenniferJ

The Intel Parallel Studio XE 2015 for OS X* update 1 supports the OS X 10.10 and XCode 6. You can download it from Intel Registration Center now.

Jennifer

0 Kudos
JenniferJ

Sorry. Some clarification is needed.

The INDE Build Edition 2015 did not have the update 1, so OS X 10.10 & Xcode 6 are not yet supported. I will file a FR for it.

Jennifer

0 Kudos
JenniferJ

Have you tried the work around posted here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/topic/534599#comment-1803105 for now?

Although it is not yet supported, we do expect it to work. If you found any issues, please let us know.

Jennifer

0 Kudos
Jaime_Rios
Beginner

I took a look at the forum posts, but the directories that they mention in their product (Fortran) does not exist for INDE, so this appears to not be a solution.

0 Kudos
Varvara_R_Intel
Employee

Hi Jaime,

Do you use Xcode 6.0 or Xcode 6.1? In case of Xcode 6.1 solution from the mentioned post should work for you (it's not Fortran specific).

0 Kudos
Jaime_Rios
Beginner

Hi Varvara,

As I had mentioned in the previous post, the directories mentioned in the other link do not exist for INDE for MacOS.

As a test, I created the folders and followed the steps described but still do not see the INDE compiler available under Xcode 6.1.

0 Kudos
Jaime_Rios
Beginner

I guess I should add some more info about my workstation configuration should someone try to duplicate what I am seeing:

Mac Pro (Early 2009)

Processor  2 x 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Memory  12 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 ECC

Software  OS X 10.9.5 (13F34)

Xcode Version 6.1 (6A1042b)

0 Kudos
Varvara_R_Intel
Employee

Jaime,

I suppose that it may be just IDE support problem, not INDE. So, I thought you could try following steps:

$ cd /Library/Application\ Support/Developer/      (this directory should exist on your Mac)
  $ sudo ln -s 6.0 6.1
and restart Xcode.

0 Kudos
Jaime_Rios
Beginner

Hi Valrvara,

I did the following steps, before you sent your reply:

$ cd /Library/Application\ Support/

$ sudo mkdir Developer      (this directory did not exist on my Mac)

$ cd Developer

$ sudo ln -s 6.0 6.1

Restarted Xcode; still could not see INDE compiler.

0 Kudos
Nadezhda_D_Intel
Employee

Hello Jaime,

Could you please do the following:

1. Remove any links you made under /Library/Application Support/Developer yourself.
2. Run the INDE Build Edition installation package again.
3. Go to the dialog "Choose Install Environment":
  - select the option "Both command line and Xcode integration environment"
  - specify XCode install directory as the path to your XCode application (for example, /Applications/XCode.app).
3. Proceed with the installation.
4. When installation finishes, open the XCode and check for ICL Compiler option.
5. If it is still not available, send us the following:
 - output of the command "ls -la /Library/Application Support/Developer/"
 - the log files /var/log/system.log and /var/log/install.log
Thanks,
Nadya

0 Kudos
Jaime_Rios
Beginner
Here is the ls command results: jrios$ ls -la /Library/Application Support/Developer/ ls: /Library/Application: No such file or directory ls: Support/Developer/: No such file or directory
0 Kudos
Nadezhda_D_Intel
Employee

Hello Jaime,

Thanks for the logs, they are helpful.  I see that you selected to integrate to XCode 6.1, but it is not supported in that release and that's why you do not see the compiler option in XCode. You will need to choose to integrate into lower XCode version (e.g. 6.0) and then follow the steps provided by Varvara above.

0 Kudos
Jaime_Rios
Beginner

Hi Nadezhida,

That is not going to be an available option for our development group so we will postpone considering the Intel compiler until a later date.

Thank you for your assistance.

0 Kudos