Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7939 Discussions

"Invalid command line switch" error

daven-hughes
Beginner
Hi there.
I just installed VS2010 and Composer XE 11. When building I've got this error message here:

Microsoft.Cpp.Win32.Intel C++ Compiler XE 12.0.targets(206,5): error MSB6001: Invalid command line switch for "icl.exe". Parameter "path" cannot have zero length.

And I look at the build log and I don't see anything that makes sense of the error...

D:\\CS\\ComposerXE-2011\\bin\\ia32\\icl.exe /c /Qvc10 /Qlocation,link,"D:\\CS\\VS10\\VC\\bin" /ZI /nologo /W3 /Od /Oi /Qftz- /D _USE_MATH_DEFINES /D JUCE_DONT_DEFINE_MACROS /D _MBCS /EHsc /RTC1 /MDd /GS /fp:precise /Zc:wchar_t /Zc:forScope /Fo"Debug\\\\" /Fd"Debug\\vc100.pdb" /Qdiag-error-limit:5 /Gd /TP /Qwd4244 /Qwd4305 ..\\..\\..\\Workspace\\Surface\\Application\\ApplicationStartup.cpp [+more source files]

When I double click on the error from VS2010 I'm taken to this target file:

BuildingInIDE ="$(BuildingInsideVisualStudio)"
Sources ="@(ClCompile)"
[...]
Can someone make sense of this?
Thank you!
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Feilong_H_Intel
Employee
Hi Dave,

Could you please try a simple hello world program and see if the error is reproducible? If so, I'd recommend to uninstall and then re-install the Composer XE.

Thank you.
--
Feilong H.
Intel Developer Support

Tools Knowledge Base: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/tools
0 Kudos
levicki
Valued Contributor I
Don't take my word for it, but to me it seems like your MSBuild configuration got corrupted somehow. Try repairing the compiler installation (particulary VS integration part). If that doesn't help, you might want to try repairing VS2010 installation as well. I messed around Microsoft SDKs folder (tried to install 7.1 and delete 7.0a), and got similar errors -- had to reinstall both VS2010 and the compiler afterwards.
0 Kudos
daven-hughes
Beginner
Bewilderingly, it's working without trouble now. I hadn't reinstalled Composer, but I installed several related products - VTune, TBB, IPP, InspectorXE, so perhaps they corrected a bad environment variable somewhere.
When it was still an issue, I could compile a very simple IPP sample and get the error, so I believe it was unrelated to the source.
Thanks for the help gentlemen.

0 Kudos