Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

"inline namespace" cannot be compiled with Intel C++ compiler 16 or 17

Bin_C_
Beginner

I'm using Intel C++ compiler 16 with Visual Studio 2015 (platform toolset v140), which has inline namespace literals {} defined in string file. Intel C++ compiler 16 cannot compile it. I tried Intel C++ compiler 17 too. no luck.

If I set platform toolset to v120, which is Visual Studio 2013's toolset and doesn't have inline namespaces defined, Intel C++ compiler 16 and 17 can compile it.

Can anybody advise how to fix or workaround it? I need VS 2015 to work with Intel compiler for other features.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

What is the command line you are using? It doesn't have the /Qvc option in it, does it?

What is the version of cl that is in your PATH? Do a "which cl".

Does adding the option /Qvc14 help? Note that this should not be needed if the MSVC++ 2015 compiler is in your PATH...

thanks

Judy

0 Kudos
Bin_C_
Beginner

The command line (copy/paste from "property page" of VS 2015) is

/GS /TP /W3 /Zc:wchar_t /I"..\pthreads\include" /I"..\pa" /I"..\d264enc" /I"..\vectors" /Zi /Od /Fd"C:\Projects\c265_s265_ref\build\Debug\x64\libD264enc.pdb" /D "WIN32" /D "WIN64" /D "_CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS" /D "__X86__" /D "_WIN32" /D "_MBCS" /Qstd=c++11 /Zc:forScope /RTC1 /arch:AVX /MDd /Fa"Debug\x64\libD264enc\" /EHsc /Fo"Debug\x64\libD264enc\" /Qprof-dir "Debug\x64\libD264enc\" /Qstd=c99 /Fp"Debug\x64\libD264enc\libD264enc.pch"

and Additional options:

/Qstd=c++14 /arch:CORE-AVX2

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\bin\amd64_x86>where cl
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\bin\amd64_x86\cl.exe

Note that I used inter compiler so icl.exe actually was building the code and failed with inline namespaces.

0 Kudos
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

Hmmm nothing looks suspicious there...

Can you do a "icl -V"? That will show the version and date of the compiler.

If you try this small example from the command line does it work?

!% cat t.cpp

namespace std {
inline namespace literals {}
}
!%
!% icl -c t.cpp
Intel(R) C++ Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Versi
on Mainline Beta Build x
Built Nov 11 2016 17:52:59 by jward4 on JWARD4-DESK1 in D:/workspaces/cfe/dev
Copyright (C) 1985-2016 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

t.cpp
!%

Also does explicitly adding /Qvc14 to the command line fix the problem?

0 Kudos
Bin_C_
Beginner
I have left office but I will try tomorrow and post the results.
0 Kudos
Bin_C_
Beginner

I tried the two additional arguments (-V and Qvc14). Enclosed below are the outputs of icl.exe. Also, when I compiled the file individually using the command line (icl.exe -c string.cpp. note that in order to run icl.exe in cmd, I had to run "compilervars.bat -arch intel64 vs2015" first), it worked! This file (string) was from MS VS 2015 and not supposed to be modified. I attached this file for your reference. In order to compile it using icl.exe, I had to change its name to "string.cpp" from "string". So the question is why icl.exe cannot compile the file "string" when it's used in a VS project? It shouldn't because it doesn't have a file ext, right? (a file without extension isn't allowed to upload so I had to change it to string.cpp)

This is the complete command line to build the file individually:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2016.4.246\windows\bin\intel64>icl.exe -c string.cpp
Intel(R) C++ Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 16.0.4.246 Build 20160811
Copyright (C) 1985-2016 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.

string.cpp

I got string.obj after running the above command line.

=======================   below is the output of icl.exe when used in VS 2015 ===============================

1>------ Build started: Project: libD264enc, Configuration: Debug x64 ------
1>  icl /Qm64 /I..\pthreads\include /I..\pa /I..\d264enc /I..\vectors /Zi /W3 /Od -D __INTEL_COMPILER=1600 -D WIN32 -D WIN64 -D _CRT_SECURE_NO_WARNINGS -D __X86__ -D _WIN32 -D _MBCS /EHsc /RTC1 /MDd /GS /arch:AVX /Zc:wchar_t /Zc:forScope /Qstd=c99 /Qstd=c++11 /FoDebug\x64\libD264enc\ /FdC:\Projects\c265_s265_ref\build\Debug\x64\libD264enc.pdb /TP /Qstd=c++14 /arch:CORE-AVX2 /Qvc14 -V ..\d264enc\prediction.c ..\d264enc\bdr.c ..\d264enc\x86\x86_interpolate.c
1>
1>  Intel(R) C++ Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 16.0 Build 20160811
1>  Copyright (C) 1985-2016 Intel Corporation.  All rights reserved.
1>icl: : warning #10121: overriding '/Qstd=c99' with '/Qstd=c++11'
1>icl: : warning #10121: overriding '/Qstd=c++11' with '/Qstd=c++14'
1>icl: : warning #10121: overriding '/archAVX' with '/archCORE-AVX2'
1>
1>
1>  prediction.c
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\include\string(671): error : expected an identifier
1>    inline namespace literals {
1>           ^
1>
1>  Error: inline specifier allowed on function declarations only
1>
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\include\string(672): error : expected an expression
1>    inline namespace string_literals {
1>    ^
1>
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\include\string(699): error : expected a ";"
1>    _STD_END
1>    ^

0 Kudos
Bin_C_
Beginner

on a second thought, I think you can create a .cpp file that include the file "string" to see if it works for you.

0 Kudos
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

I think I understand the problem now. The suffix on your file is .c -- i.e. the name of the file is "x86_interpolate.c" so icl is being run in C (not C++) mode.

To fix this, either change the name of the file to have a suffix like .cpp or .cxx or use the /Tp or /TP option. The <string> header file is a C++ header file so it will only compile if you compiling C++.

/Tc<file>
          compile file as C source

/Tp<file>
          compile file as C++ source

/TC       compile all source or unrecognized file types as C source files

/TP       compile all source or unrecognized file types as C++ source files

0 Kudos
Bin_C_
Beginner

Hi Judith,

Thanks for the continued help. If you look at the command line I posted on #3 post, it already included /TP. I double checked just now. /TP has been there but it still failed......  Just now, I tried the following commands again but with the file "string" (no ext).

1. When I ran "icl.exe -c string", it refused to compile.

2 When I ran "icl.exe -c string /TP", it compiled.

So the standalong command always works but failed to compile the "inline namespace" with VS 2015. I'm using VS 2015 community version, which is free. If you try it by building a project using its file "string", you may see it too.

0 Kudos
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

Yes you are right you are already using /TP. So it seems the problem only occurs inside the Visual Studio environment and not on the command line. Hmmm...

I don't have access to a Visual Studio setup but I'm guessing it's using a different (older?) icl compiler than the one on the command line. Do you have multiple Intel compiler installations on your desktop? I'm not sure what else could be going wrong...

0 Kudos
Bin_C_
Beginner

I have only one Intel Compiler installed. Also, if you look at the above output of Intel Compiler with -V, you will see the following output along with the compile failure messages

1>  Intel(R) C++ Intel(R) 64 Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 16.0 Build 20160811

I guess your QA teams must have tested it with VS 2015 so it can't be a bug, right? If possible, can you bring this to their attention? They should have an access to VS 2015 since that's one of features supported. This also happened to Instell Parallel XE 2017. I tried 2017 first and then 2016.

Thanks again for working on my questions!

0 Kudos