Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

"internal error: backend signal" when compilng "DRMAA for PBS"

Eric_R_1
Beginner

Hello,

On two separate systems I've attempted to compile "DRMAA for PBS" (found here). It successfully compiles with gcc and fails with icc resulting in the "interal error: backend signal". From what I can tell from searching in previous forums that error message is highly problematic and should be reported.

This error has occurred on the 15.0.1 version on the Intel Compiler. It was compiled under linux. The build was a simple "configure" followed by a "make".

The problematic file and resulting error is displayed below:

icc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I/opt/torque/include -I/opt/torque/include/torque -I../drmaa_utils -fPIC -D_REENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE -DNDEBUG -D_GNU_SOURCE -DCONFDIR=~/opt/pbs-drmaa-1.0.18/etc -Wall -W -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-format-zero-length -pedantic -ansi -g -O2 -pthread -MT drmaa.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/drmaa.Tpo -c drmaa.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/drmaa.o
(0): internal error: backend signals

Thanks for your time in advance,

- Eric

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Shenghong_G_Intel

Hi Eric,

You are correct that almost any internal error should be reported as bugs. :)

I'll take a look and reproduce it for you.

Thanks,

Shenghong

0 Kudos
Shenghong_G_Intel

Hi Eric,

I failed to reproduce the issue, I've build Torque/PBS (torque-5.1.0-1_4048f77c.tar.gz), and use it to build pbs-drmaa-1.0.18.tar.gz.

I also double-confirmed the file you pointed out, and it also builds ok.

# icc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I`pwd`/../pbs/include -I../drmaa_utils -fPIC -D_REENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE -DNDEBUG -D_GNU_SOURCE -DCONFDIR=~/opt/pbs-drmaa-1.0.18/etc -Wall -W -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-format-zero-length -pedantic -ansi -g -O2 -pthread -MT drmaa.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/drmaa.Tpo -c drmaa.c  -fPIC -DPIC -o .libs/drmaa.o
icc: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '-Wno-format-zero-length'
# icc -v
icc version 15.0.1 (gcc version 4.8.1 compatibility)
#

could you please check whether we are using same PBS version and same pbs-drmaa version? Or maybe please post all the source code you have?

Thanks,

Shenghong

0 Kudos
Shenghong_G_Intel

Also, please let me know your gcc version and you may also post your pre-processed file of drmaa.c file for me to reproduce, see below:

# icc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I.. -I`pwd`/../pbs/include -I../drmaa_utils -fPIC -D_REENTRANT -D_THREAD_SAFE -DNDEBUG -D_GNU_SOURCE -DCONFDIR=~/opt/pbs-drmaa-1.0.18/etc -Wall -W -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-format-zero-length -pedantic -ansi -g -O2 -pthread -MT drmaa.lo -MD -MP -MF .deps/drmaa.Tpo -c drmaa.c  -fPIC -DPIC -E > drmaa.ii
icc: command line warning #10006: ignoring unknown option '-Wno-format-zero-length'
#

Note: send me the drmaa.ii file.

Thanks,

Shenghong

0 Kudos
Eric_R_1
Beginner

Hi Shenghong,

I apologize in advance. I misunderstood in that the system I thought was by default loading the latest version of the Intel compiler. Turns out I was loading an earlier version of the compiler by default (12.1.3) where the problem exists. I can confirm that the problem does not exist on 15.0.1.

Thanks for your time and support,

-  Eric

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Yes, I tried with the latest update 2 compiler (15.0) and it works for me on RH EL6.X as well....

_Kittur

0 Kudos