Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

"xilink.exe" error with MSVC

vchizhov
Beginner

Hi,

I am trying to use the Intel compiler with visual studio 2019, but I always get the error:
error MSB6006: "xilink.exe" exited with code -1073741819.

I have found similar issues on the forum, but neither provided a solution for me. The same error occurs with VS2017, VS2019, and VS2019 preview. My VS2019 version is 16.6.5, while the Intel compiler version is 19.1. You can find the build log attached.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
vchizhov
Beginner

I have since uninstalled the Intel compiler, and all of my msvc versions, and I have reinstalled vs2019 and the Intel compiler. This did not fix the issue.

0 Kudos
RahulV_intel

Hi,

Could you try creating a new C++ project with Intel C++ compiler and build/run a sample code (just print something) and see if it works?

Try it out with both debug and release modes.

Also, kindly upgrade your parallel studio to the latest release if not done already.

Let me know if it helps.

--Rahul

0 Kudos
vchizhov
Beginner

I created a project with just int main() { return 0; } and got the exact same error. I tried it in both debug, release, x86, x64. As mentioned, I already reinstalled everything so I have the latest version of both vs2019 and parallel studio. Something noteworthy is that `icl` was not set in the environment path, so I had to go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2020.2.254\windows\bin" and run "compilervars.bat intel64". Now I can compile code just fine from the command line, but I get the exact same error as before in vs2019.

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

can you run this from the command line to see if you still reproduce the xilink.exe error?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Current\Bin\Tracker.exe /a /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\15.0\FileTracker\FileTracker32.dll" /i "D:\Vasko\work\Weickert\Weickert code\ref_code_collection\demonstrator_linear_splines\build\demonstrator_linear_splines\x64\Release\demonstr.a0cbfe50.tlog" /r "D:\VASKO\WORK\WEICKERT\WEICKERT CODE\REF_CODE_COLLECTION\DEMONSTRATOR_LINEAR_SPLINES\BUILD\DEMONSTRATOR_LINEAR_SPLINES\X64\RELEASE\DEMONSTRATOR_LINEAR_SPLINES.OBJ" /b MSBuildConsole_CancelEvent8420387b9ec44b729e9e063e5a4a595d /c "D:\Vasko\Programs\Intel Parallel Studio XE\compilers_and_libraries_2020\windows\bin\Intel64\xilink.exe" -qm64 /OUT:"D:\Vasko\work\Weickert\Weickert code\ref_code_collection\demonstrator_linear_splines\build\demonstrator_linear_splines\x64\Release\demonstrator_linear_splines.exe" /INCREMENTAL:NO /NOLOGO /LIBPATH:"D:\Vasko\Programming2\vcpkg\installed\x64-windows\lib" /LIBPATH:"D:\Vasko\Programming2\vcpkg\installed\x64-windows\lib\manual-link" kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib "D:\Vasko\Programming2\vcpkg\installed\x64-windows\lib\*.lib" /MANIFEST /manifest:embed /MANIFESTUAC:"level='asInvoker' uiAccess='false'" /DEBUG /PDB:"D:\Vasko\work\Weickert\Weickert code\ref_code_collection\demonstrator_linear_splines\build\demonstrator_linear_splines\x64\Release\demonstrator_linear_splines.pdb" /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE /OPT:REF /OPT:ICF /TLBID:1 /DYNAMICBASE /NXCOMPAT /IMPLIB:"D:\Vasko\work\Weickert\Weickert code\ref_code_collection\demonstrator_linear_splines\build\demonstrator_linear_splines\x64\Release\demonstrator_linear_splines.lib" /MACHINE:X64 x64\Release\demonstrator_linear_splines.obj

0 Kudos
vchizhov
Beginner

The above won't work since I have deleted the project since. I made a new project (which I will keep this time around), the log is attached below.

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

Thanks,

Can you try this from the command:

C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2020\windows\bin\Intel64\xilink.exe -qm64 /OUT:"D:\Vasko\work\intel_compiler\comp\x64\Release\comp.exe" /INCREMENTAL:NO /NOLOGO /LIBPATH:"D:\Vasko\Programming2\vcpkg\installed\x64-windows\lib" /LIBPATH:"D:\Vasko\Programming2\vcpkg\installed\x64-windows\lib\manual-link" kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib "D:\Vasko\Programming2\vcpkg\installed\x64-windows\lib\*.lib" /MANIFEST /manifest:embed /MANIFESTUAC:"level='asInvoker' uiAccess='false'" /DEBUG /PDB:"D:\Vasko\work\intel_compiler\comp\x64\Release\comp.pdb" /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE /OPT:REF /OPT:ICF /TLBID:1 /DYNAMICBASE /NXCOMPAT /IMPLIB:"D:\Vasko\work\intel_compiler\comp\x64\Release\comp.lib" /MACHINE:X64 x64\Release\main.obj

Then also run:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Current\Bin\Tracker.exe /a /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\15.0\FileTracker\FileTracker32.dll" /i D:\Vasko\work\intel_compiler\comp\x64\Release\comp.tlog /r D:\VASKO\WORK\INTEL_COMPILER\COMP\X64\RELEASE\MAIN.OBJ /b MSBuildConsole_CancelEvent30fdf23028884619ba1e73b9c04a6b12 /c "C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2020\windows\bin\Intel64\xilink.exe" -qm64 /OUT:"D:\Vasko\work\intel_compiler\comp\x64\Release\comp.exe" /INCREMENTAL:NO /NOLOGO /LIBPATH:"D:\Vasko\Programming2\vcpkg\installed\x64-windows\lib" /LIBPATH:"D:\Vasko\Programming2\vcpkg\installed\x64-windows\lib\manual-link" kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib "D:\Vasko\Programming2\vcpkg\installed\x64-windows\lib\*.lib" /MANIFEST /manifest:embed /MANIFESTUAC:"level='asInvoker' uiAccess='false'" /DEBUG /PDB:"D:\Vasko\work\intel_compiler\comp\x64\Release\comp.pdb" /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE /OPT:REF /OPT:ICF /TLBID:1 /DYNAMICBASE /NXCOMPAT /IMPLIB:"D:\Vasko\work\intel_compiler\comp\x64\Release\comp.lib" /MACHINE:X64 x64\Release\main.obj

I wanted to see if the error came directly from "xilink.exe" or from executed "Tracker.exe"

0 Kudos
vchizhov
Beginner

I got the following error after running the second part:

TRACKER : error TRK0006: Failed to open cancel event "MSBuildConsole_CancelEvent30fdf23028884619ba1e73b9c04a6b12". The system cannot find the file specified.

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

Seems like that file had been deleted.

Will you able to run this?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Current\Bin\Tracker.exe /a /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\15.0\FileTracker\FileTracker32.dll" /i D:\Vasko\work\intel_compiler\comp\x64\Release\comp.tlog /r D:\VASKO\WORK\INTEL_COMPILER\COMP\X64\RELEASE\MAIN.OBJ /c "C:\Program Files (x86)\IntelSWTools\compilers_and_libraries_2020\windows\bin\Intel64\xilink.exe" -qm64 /OUT:"D:\Vasko\work\intel_compiler\comp\x64\Release\comp.exe" /INCREMENTAL:NO /NOLOGO /LIBPATH:"D:\Vasko\Programming2\vcpkg\installed\x64-windows\lib" /LIBPATH:"D:\Vasko\Programming2\vcpkg\installed\x64-windows\lib\manual-link" kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib "D:\Vasko\Programming2\vcpkg\installed\x64-windows\lib\*.lib" /MANIFEST /manifest:embed /MANIFESTUAC:"level='asInvoker' uiAccess='false'" /DEBUG /PDB:"D:\Vasko\work\intel_compiler\comp\x64\Release\comp.pdb" /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE /OPT:REF /OPT:ICF /TLBID:1 /DYNAMICBASE /NXCOMPAT /IMPLIB:"D:\Vasko\work\intel_compiler\comp\x64\Release\comp.lib" /MACHINE:X64 x64\Release\main.obj

0 Kudos
vchizhov
Beginner

I was able to run the above just fine, without any errors.

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

Seems like it works from the command line.

The VS2019 version you use is pretty new (released on Jul/21/2020) and Intel compiler 2020 update 2 ( built date Jul/1/2020). Is there a way you can try on VS2019 versions which released before the compiler built date (e.g. VS2019 version16.6.1) to see if the problem still occurs?

0 Kudos
vchizhov
Beginner
Before uninstalling and reinstalling VS my versions for both vs2017, vs2019, and vs2019 preview were ones that were released before the intel compiler version that I installed. If you can reproduce this, then maybe you could recommend to which version specifically this needs to be downgraded. On the other hand, if it is not reproducible, I would assume it's a different reason.
0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

It is not recommended to use the VS versions that released after the compiler built date because we didn't have a way to validate that VS versions prior to releasing the compiler.

0 Kudos
vchizhov
Beginner
I understand this. That is why I clarified that I had the same problem with the older versions, and why I asked whether you can test this and see if it is reproducible on your side, and potentially recommend a specific version that can work with the Intel compiler.
0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

Can you let us know which specific older VS versions you have tried and saw the same issue so that I can escalate it to the integration team?

0 Kudos
vchizhov
Beginner
I believe the older version for vs2019 which I tested with was 16.3.5. I don't remember the preview and vs2017 versions that I had.
0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

Thanks,

I tested on VS2019 version 16.5.5. It worked fine.

0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel
0 Kudos
Viet_H_Intel

This issue has been resolved and we will no longer respond to this thread.  

If you require additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only.

Thanks,

0 Kudos