Intel® C++ Compiler
Support and discussions for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!

real to split complex FT

jinfa_y_
Beginner

Dear Help,

I just realized that the fftwf_plan_guru_split_dft_r2c() functional call in Intel's C library simply returns a null. So instead of writing a wrapper to use the original library of FFTW, I thought it might be easier to directly use Intel's DFT functions. My problem is that I really want the complex output to be stored in two different arrays (e.g. rdata and idata for the real and imag, respectively). It is possible to configure a complex forward FT to use two split arrays for both the input and output data by setting DFTI_COMPLEX_STORAGE = DFTI_REAL_REAL, but I don't see how I can do the same thing for the complex output in a DFTI_REAL forward FT. I was hoping that DFTI_CONJUGATE_EVEN_STORAGE is useful to do what I want, but this does not seem to be the case. I am really puzzling why this cannot be done easily. Any suggestions on how I may do what fftwf_plan_guru_split_dft_r2c() in FFTW does are much appreciated!

Thanks!

Jinfa

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Judith_W_Intel
Employee

Intel doesn't have its own runtime C or C++ library, it uses the one provided on the system.

Furthermore  fftwf_plan_guru_split_dft_r2c is not part of the standard C library - it looks like it's in some OpenSource library.

I found it on Github here:

https://github.com/FFTW/fftw3

So I think you are asking this question in the wrong place. 

good luck

Judy

jinfa_y_
Beginner

Judy,

Thanks for your response. Of course, I am aware of the FFTW library. However, there is an FFTW interface to Intel's Math Kernal Library, which allows me to use FFTW's function calls.

I posted the same question in your MKL forum and Fiona has answered me. It is very disappointing that your MKL simply returns a NULL for the ftwf_plan_guru_split_dft_r2c() function call, and the library currently does not have the feature of separately storing the complex output from IDFT_REAL FT in two split arrays. I have made a feature request for your development team to consider this in the future versions.

Thanks anyway for your answer.

Jinfa

jimdempseyatthecove
Black Belt

Using the Intrinsics (https://software.intel.com/sites/landingpage/IntrinsicsGuide/#=undefined&techs=AVX2&expand=2297,3924)

Sketch

Load 256-bit complex (8 floats/4 complex)
_mm256_permutevar8x32_ps to rearrange into 128-bit 4 reals plus 128-bit 4 complex
_mm_256_storeu2_m128 to store the two 128-bit values into two buffers.

Jim Dempsey

jinfa_y_
Beginner

Jim,

Thanks for the suggestion! This sounds very useful and I will definitely give it a try. Much appreciated!

Jinfa