Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

-save-temps is broken

Ismail_Donmez
Beginner

[~]> icc -vicc version 12.1.0 (gcc version 4.6.0 compatibility)[~]> icc -save-temps -c t.c[~]>should produce t.i and t.s files but both are missing. Looks like a regression.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi,
The -save-temps option is used to save the intermediate files during compilation. The .s file is saved only if you use the -use-asm option. If you want to generate the preprocessed .i file, you'll have to use the -P compile option. The link http://software.intel.com/sites/products/documentation/hpc/compilerpro/en-us/cpp/lin/compiler_c/copts/common_options/option_save_temps.htm should give you more info on the -save-temps option,

Regards,
Kittur

0 Kudos
Ismail_Donmez
Beginner
-P indeed works but -save-temps doesn't work which is still a regression for gcc compatibility, no?
0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Hi Ismail,

I agree. The -save-temps option with icc is not 1:1 with gcc behavior as it won't save the .i or the .s file with that option alone with icc. Well, an issue has been filed with the developers on this and I'll update you as soon as the release with the fix is out. Appreciate your patience through this.

Regards,
Kittur

0 Kudos
Ismail_Donmez
Beginner
Thanks a lot! -P already works fine as a workaround.
0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee

Thanks for your patience in using the workaround Ismail. I'll let you know when the release with the fix it out - appreciate much.

Regards,
Kittur

0 Kudos
KitturGanesh
Employee
Hi Ismail, Just letting you know that this issue has been fixed in the latest 2013 release of the product that you can download from the registration center.... Regards, Kittur
0 Kudos