Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

segmentation violation.

Intel_C_Intel
Employee
Greetings,
I am encountering this error message when attempting to compile the linpack benchmark on an Itanium2. With -O2 it compiles fine, but seems to encounter difficulties with -O3. I was wondering if anyone could advise how I could resolve/extract more information from this (options such as -v do not seem to provide any further information on the error):
icc -o HPL_dlaswp01N.o -c -O3 -tpp2 -DAdd_ -DF77_INTEGER=int -DStringSunStyle -I/home/clk/hpl/include -l/home/clk/hpl/include/Linux_Itanium2_FBLAS -I/usr/local/mpich-1.2.5/ch_p4/intel/include ../HPL_dlaswp01N.c

icc: error: Fatal error in /opt/intel_cc_80/bin/mcpcom, terminated by segmentation violation

compilation aborted for ../HPL_dlaswp01N.c (code 1)
Thanks.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
If you are getting this compiler failure with the latest compiler version, and can submit a problem report with the reproducer to premier.intel.com, that would be preferable. There are lower level options to shut off -O3 for all loops after some source line, and -num_opt and -num_case to determine compiler internal phase numbers, but those are of use mainly to compiler engineers looking for the site of the breakdown.
0 Kudos
John_O_Intel
Employee
Hi,
I agree w/ Tim, you should submit a bug report on this. Is there multiple functions in HPL_dlaswp01N.c file ? If so, I'd add #ifdefs to isolate which function in the src file is causing the seg fault. I suggest opening an issue on http://premier.intel.com & submit the isolated function that is causing the seg fault. It's best if you can submit the smallest test case that reproduces the problem. I'd also include a preprocessed file (.i) file, the help determine if it's related to system.
Regards,
John O'Neill
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee

Thanks for the info. I shall see if I can isolate the problem and contact premiere support.

ph.

0 Kudos
cp_jain
Beginner
Could you please let me know which build of Intel Compiler v8 are you using.
do icc -V to get build/package id.

I tried this with latest build and it seems to work fine in this case.

CP
0 Kudos
Intel_C_Intel
Employee

Greetings,

icc -V reports: Version 8.0 Build 20031017

Thanks.
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
That appears to be an early beta version. The one I have installed, from premier.intel.com, has Build 20040212 Package ID: l_cc_pc_8.0.058_pl060. With anything built prior to last December, you're wasting your time.
0 Kudos