Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

std::sqrt(-1.0) == 0.0 evaluates to true!

Eirik
Novice

std::sqrt(-1.0) == 0.0 evaluates to true with optimization level O1 using oneAPI 2021.3 on Windows. Is this a bug?

My understanding is that according to IEC559 NaNs should not be equal to anything, noth even themselves. In debug (Od) the comparison is false as expected.

I stumbled upon this problem while upgrading my application from Intel C++ Compiler 19.0 to oneAPI 2021.3. I have not seen this behavoiur in any earlier version of the Intel C++ compiler or any other compiler (MSVC, Clang, GCC). The linux version of the intel compiler seems to work as expected. 

The following sample shows the problem:

#include <cassert>
#include <cmath>
#include <iostream>
#include <limits>

int main() {
    static_assert(std::numeric_limits<double>::is_iec559, "");

const double sqrt = std::sqrt(-1.0);
    const double div0 = 0.0 / 0.0;

std::cout << "sqrt " << sqrt << '\n';
    std::cout << "div0 " << div0 << '\n';

assert(std::isnan(sqrt));
    assert(std::isnan(div0));

std::cout << std::boolalpha;

std::cout << "sqrt == 0.0: " << (sqrt == 0.0) << '\n';
    std::cout << "div0 == 0.0: " << (div0 == 0.0) << '\n';

std::cout << "sqrt == sqrt: " << (sqrt == sqrt) << '\n';
    std::cout << "div0 == div0: " << (div0 == div0) << '\n';
}

Compiling and running with /Od and /O1 I get the following output:

C:\test>icx /Od main.cpp && main.exe
Intel(R) oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 2021.3.0 Build 20210619
Copyright (C) 1985-2021 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

sqrt -nan(ind)
div0 nan
sqrt == 0.0: false
div0 == 0.0: false
sqrt == sqrt: false
div0 == div0: false

C:\test>icx /O1 main.cpp && main.exe
Intel(R) oneAPI DPC++/C++ Compiler for applications running on Intel(R) 64, Version 2021.3.0 Build 20210619
Copyright (C) 1985-2021 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved.

sqrt -nan(ind)
div0 nan
sqrt == 0.0: true
div0 == 0.0: false
sqrt == sqrt: true
div0 == div0: false

It seems to be a problem with -NaN. Is this a bug in the compiler? Is there some way to prevent it from happening? 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
VidyalathaB_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

>> I see that using floating point model precise (/fp:precise) "solves" the issue.

Glad to know that you have figured it out.

/fp:precise - This option tells the compiler to disable the optimizations, hence using this we get correct results.

/fp:fast - This option performs more optimizations to increase the speed of computations which may effect the accuracy of the results.

You can refer the below link for more details.

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/oneapi-dpcpp-cpp-compiler-dev-guide-and-reference/top/compiler-reference/compiler-options/compiler-option-details/floating-point-options/fp-model-fp.html

Please let us know if you have any other queries regarding this.

Regards,

Vidya.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Eirik
Novice

After some more investigation I see that using floating point model precise (/fp:precise) "solves" the issue. As I understand NaNs are not required to behave properly with fp:fast.

I have never had problems with this earlier using fp:fast, so it's a bit disappointing to move to precise now, but I guess thats the price to pay for relying on undefined behaviour.

0 Kudos
VidyalathaB_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

>> I see that using floating point model precise (/fp:precise) "solves" the issue.

Glad to know that you have figured it out.

/fp:precise - This option tells the compiler to disable the optimizations, hence using this we get correct results.

/fp:fast - This option performs more optimizations to increase the speed of computations which may effect the accuracy of the results.

You can refer the below link for more details.

https://software.intel.com/content/www/us/en/develop/documentation/oneapi-dpcpp-cpp-compiler-dev-guide-and-reference/top/compiler-reference/compiler-options/compiler-option-details/floating-point-options/fp-model-fp.html

Please let us know if you have any other queries regarding this.

Regards,

Vidya.

0 Kudos
VidyalathaB_Intel

Hi,

Thanks for accepting our solution!

As this issue has been resolved, we will no longer respond to this thread. 

If you require any additional assistance from Intel, please start a new thread. 

Any further interaction in this thread will be considered community only. 

Have a Good day.

Regards,

Vidya.

0 Kudos