Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

/usr/bin/ld: BFD 2.14.90.0.4 20030523 internal error

szaki
Beginner
Hello

I have tried to compile my program that uses the boost C++ library for serializing objects to XML and/or binary files. All source files compile but when linking them I get the following error (only the last few lines copied here):

/usr/bin/ld: /home/szaki/ENGA/ProgramSource/../code/obj/agent/sex/test/AgentSexTest.o: no group info for section .gnu.linkonce.t._ZN5boost7archive6detail18interface_iarchiveINS0_13text_iarchiveEEanINS_13serialization3nvpIP16ActivityDynamicsEEEERS3_RKT_
/usr/bin/ld: /home/szaki/ENGA/ProgramSource/../code/obj/agent/sex/test/AgentSexTest.o: no group info for section .gnu.linkonce.ia64unwi._ZN5boost7archive6detail18interface_iarchiveINS0_13text_iarchiveEEanINS_13serialization3nvpIP16ActivityDynamicsEEEERS3_RKT_
/usr/bin/ld: BFD 2.14.90.0.4 20030523 internal error, aborting at ../../bfd/elfcode.h line 226 in bfd_elf64_swap_symbol_in

/usr/bin/ld: Please report this bug.

I wonder if anyone could tell me what is going on here. The environment is as follows.

HW: SGI ALTIX350 with 4 Itanium processors
Kernel: 2.4.21-sgi301r1
SGI ProPack version: SGI ProPack 3SP1 for Linux, Build 301r3-0407280007
Compiler: Intel C++ Itanium Compiler for Itanium-based applications
Version 8.0 Build 20031017 Package ID: l_cc_p_8.0.056

Thank you very much in advance

Zoltan Szatmary
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
From appearances, you have provoked a bug in binutils. As you appear to have the most
widely used binutils version, I can't fault your installation. However, you might want
to try building and installing a more up to date version in your own space, e.g. from
www.kernel.org.
While it would be a long shot to blame this particularly failure on an out of date icc,
it would also be a long shot to hope to get good results from such an old version. Even if
your don't have current paid support, you should take out an evaluation license and download
a current version.
You would want to check that the application you are building is compatible with the g++
version installed on your system, as icc adopts the STL libraries found in your PATH when you
install icc.
0 Kudos
szaki
Beginner
Dear Tim

Thank you for the quick answer.

>However, you might want to try building and installing a more up to date version in your own space, e.g. from www.kernel.org.

Good idea, I'll try that if nothing else helps.

>you should take out an evaluation license and download
a current version.

We have got paid support and I downloaded l_cc_pc_8.1.026.tar.gz a few days ago. I upgraded then but when compiling I got similar errors from ld and additional missing references to "_Unlocksyslock". I decided to downgrade to our original ICC version then. I would like to emphasize that only when boost-related pieces of code are compiled in the error appears.
I have read since somewhere that default values of some switches to icc and icpc are different between version 8.0 and 8.1. Could this cause the "_Unlocksyslock" thing? If yes, which switch should I set and to what value?

Thank you again

Zoltan
0 Kudos