Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

vc++ projects build fails on Multi-core machines

jjinka
Beginner

We have a suite of C# projects along with VC++ projects built on VS2005. We have a makefile which builds all the C# and VC++ projects ( their associated solutions ) at a single shot.

This build crashes giving a message box "Microsoft Visual Studio has encountered a problem and needs to close", its event properties say "Faulting application devenv.exe, version 8.0.50727.42 stamp 4333e69s, faulting module vcprojectengine.dll version 8.0.50727.42, stamp ....."
When I see the build log I observed that multiple VC++ projects are getting build in parallel.

Interesting point here is, the same build doesnot crash on Intel GX260, Intel GX520. On GX620 few vc++ build crashes but on T3400 it happens very frequently.

So, we disabled Multi-core support and Speed Step in BIOS setting and tried the build. It goes on well with out a single crash.

Is there a way I come out of this situation without disabling Multi-core support ?

Does installing Intel C++ compiler for Windows would be of any help to me ?

Thanks,

Jinka

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
It doesn't seem likely that choice of compiler would affect this. From your quoted numbers, it looks like you are using a very early VS2005, not that I'm an expert on this. Your report looks a lot like http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921538
It looks like SP1 is the first choice to attempt to resolve such problems.
0 Kudos
jjinka
Beginner

Hi Tim,

Thanks for providing the link. This is the exact problem I am facing and I dont know how to stop multiple parallel builds ( am new to VS ). It solves my problem.

Thanks,

Jinka

0 Kudos