Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.

vectorization report in icc

woshiwuxin
Novice
Hi, everyone! Here's a simple C snippet. I compile it with icc, but the report of vectorization seems weird.
[cpp]#include #include #define N (1 << 20) #define MB (1 << 20) int main(void) { int *a, *b, i; size_t ms = sizeof(int) * N; a = (int *) malloc(ms); b = (int *) malloc(ms); for (i = 0; i < N; ++i) a = rand(); for (i = 0; i < N; ++i) /* not an inner loop? */ b = a; free(a); free(b); return 0; }[/cpp]
Here's how I compiled the code.
[plain]wu@mars:~ $ icc --version && icc -O2 -vec-report3 ex.c icc (ICC) 12.1.3 20120212 Copyright (C) 1985-2012 Intel Corporation. All rights reserved. ex.c(11): (col. 12) remark: loop was not vectorized: statement cannot be vectorized. ex.c(12): (col. 3) remark: LOOP WAS VECTORIZED. ex.c(12): (col. 3) remark: loop was not vectorized: not inner loop.[/plain]
The output about line (12) confused me. Is the loop of line (12) vectorized or not? Why it's detected as 'not inner loop'?
Thank you in advance!
0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III
This could mean there are 2 versions of the loop, or even that there is optimized code to skip it, since the compiler can see that no results are used. If code is not eliminated, it would be entirely reasonable for the compiler to fuse the loops, storing both results in the same loop.
0 Kudos
woshiwuxin
Novice
Thanks, Tim!
You're right! I turned on '-opt-report 3' and found out that the compiler recognized the adjacent loops, and replaced the second loop with memset.
[plain] High Level Optimizer Report (main) Adjacent Loops: 2 at line 10 QLOOPS 2/2/0 ENODE LOOPS 2 unknown 0 multi_exit_do 0 do 2 linear_do 2 lite_throttled 0 ...... Loop at line:12 memcopy(with guard) generated [/plain]
0 Kudos