Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7944 Discussions

warning: Could not find object file

alvyn-liang
Beginner
Dear All,
I think this thread is close to what I am going to say, (http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=65303),but unfortunately there was no answer to it.
I am building an fortran/c++ project on my OSX. The compile process went OK with ifort 64bit and icpc 64 bit but when I go to the debug phase with gdb, there was an error message.
[bash]warning: Could not find object file "/var/folders/Uy/UySnD071EXyGu9SoDaFJNE+++TI/-Tmp-/ipo_icpcSYMCh2.o" - no debug information available for "/Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/progman/main.C".
[/bash]
It turns out that there was the file "/var/folders/Uy/UySnD071EXyGu9SoDaFJNE+++TI/-Tmp-/ipo_icpcSYMCh2.o" and several others once created in the icpc compile phase but soon deleted by unknown reason after the compile process. I understand that /var/folders was not really meant to be a compilation folder, but it was choose by icpc not me. I have no idea why those files were created there and why they got deleted eventually.

The final compile lines is listed below.
[bash]icpc -ipo -o /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/progman/qcprog.exe main.o /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/progman/progman.a \
	/Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/aimdman/aimdman.a \
	/Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/fldman/fldman.a /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/gesman/gesman.a /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/scfman/scfman.a \
	/Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/anlman/anlman.a /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/drvman/drvman.a /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/optman/optman.a \
	/Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/vibman/vibman.a /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/cdman/cdman.a /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/setman/setman.a \
	/Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/ccman/ccman.a /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/ccman/cctests/ccman_tests.a /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/gvbman/gvbman.a \
	/Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/ssgman/ssgman.a /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/rpathman/rpathman.a \
	/Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/aimdman/aimdman.a \
	/Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/libmathtools/tensor/libmathtools-tensor.a \
	/Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/libmathtools/general/libmathtools-gen.a \
	/Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/ccman/ccman.a /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/cdman/cdman.a \
	/Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/mopropman/mopropman.a /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/d-scfman/d-scfman.a \
	/Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/qclib.a /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/progman/progman.a /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/optman/optman.a \
	/Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/simper/simper.a /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/polman/polman.a /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/efpman/efpman.a \
	/Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/molarisman/molarisman.a \
	-g -Wl, -L/u/qchem/lib/fftw/x86.p/lib -lfftw -lrfftw  -L/Developer/opt/intel/composerxe-2011.1.122/compiler/lib/intel64 -L/Developer/opt/intel/composerxe-2011.1.122/compiler/lib/intel64 -L/Developer/opt/intel/composerxe-2011.1.122/mkl/lib -lmkl_core -lmkl_intel_lp64 -lmkl_intel_thread -lmkl_lapack95_lp64 -lmkl_solver_lp64 -liomp5 -lpthread -L/Developer/opt/intel/composerxe-2011.1.122/tbb/lib -limf -lifcore -lifcoremt -lifport -lsvml 
ipo: remark #11001: performing single-file optimizations
ipo: remark #11006: generating object file /var/folders/Uy/UySnD071EXyGu9SoDaFJNE+++TI/-Tmp-/ipo_icpcSYMCh2.o
ld: warning: can't add line info to anonymous symbol __ZN11CcdLintermW14calculateWooooEv.lsda from /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/ccman/ccman.a(ccd_linterm_w.o)
ld: warning: can't add line info to anonymous symbol __ZNK14UsesFockMatrix9getFockOVEv.lsda from /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/ccman/ccman.a(cc_t_amplitudes.o)
ld: warning: can't add line info to anonymous symbol initializer$0 from /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/qclib.a(BCSR_io.o)
ld: warning: can't add line info to anonymous symbol initializer$0 from /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/qclib.a(BCSR_io.o)
ld: warning: can't add line info to anonymous symbol initializer$0 from /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/qclib.a(CSR_io.o)
ld: warning: can't add line info to anonymous symbol __ZN15UsesTAmplitudesD2Ev.lsda from /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/ccman/ccman.a(cc_t2interm_woooo.o)
ld: warning: can't add line info to anonymous symbol initializer$0 from /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/qclib.a(RISSM_io.o)
ld: warning: can't add line info to anonymous symbol __ZNK15Uses2eIntegrals9get2eOVOVEv.lsda from /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/ccman/ccman.a(cc_t2interm_eff_woovv.o)
ld: warning: can't add line info to anonymous symbol __data@0 from /Users/alvyn/codes/xcode_build/qchem/ccman/ccman.a(cc_t2interm_wovvo.o)
rm main.o
[/bash]
Could anyone help me with this?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
alvyn-liang
Beginner
Well... I guess I know what this is. There is no "main.C" in the source. It's simply a mock file created to be as the main file. The warning is issued but the program still run.
0 Kudos
Om_S_Intel
Employee

The "ld: warning: can't add line info to anonymous symbol initializer$0" seems to be an issue with Intel compiler. It would be nice if you can provide a test case.

Could you please try disabling the IPO using -ipo- compiler option and help with feedback?

0 Kudos