Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7956 Discussions

win 7 64 bit and visual studio 2008 problem

xs2222
Beginner
Hello ,
I have a win 7 64 bit machine and visual studio 2008 pro installed , but i could for the life of me get vs to compile 64 bit,
the configuration manager in vs only has win32 and other mobile devices, but no x64
and i checked my vc++ install and it has x64 checked as well..
where am i goin wrong please help
thanks
J
0 Kudos
21 Replies
jimdempseyatthecove
Honored Contributor III
Did you install the 64-bit Visual Studio?

Try creating a VS C++ (MSVC++)"Hello world" console app then convert to x64.

If you cannot do that then the problem is not with ICC nor ICC integration to VS.

Check to verify that you have Win7 x64 installed (Windows 7 retail comes with both versions).

Also, Windows 7 has a Virtual PC capability. See that you are not running in a 32-bit Virtual PC.

Jim Dempsey
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
The X64 option in Visual Studio installation is underneath the C++ support selection. As Jim mentioned, you need this, before installing or repairing ICL for Intel64. Then you will be able to switch your projects to X64 (they will start out as X86/32-bit). You would still require the Win7 X64, as Jim mentioned, in order to be able to run the 64-bit .exe.
0 Kudos
xs2222
Beginner
Hi Jim,
thanks for the reply, yes i tried to compile hello world app and eben then it does not have x64 in there,
it hasPocket PC 2003 (ARMV4) ,Smartphone 2003 (ARMV4) ,Windows Mobile 5.0 Pocket PC SDK (ARMV4I) ,
Windows Mobile 5.0 Smartphone SDK (ARMV4I) , but not x64.
and yes i do have win 7 x64 installed
and how do i find if win 7 is running 32 bit virtual pc .
and if it is not running 32 bit virtual pc what do i do next to fix this.
Thanks,
J
0 Kudos
_heinz
Beginner
Hi J,
if you install VS2008 you must select the 64Bit part explicit, normallystill the 32Bit part will be installed.
Try a custom installation, then you can choose all the parts you reallyneed.

heinz
0 Kudos
JenniferJ
There is an article on the detail steps for installing the "x64 compiler & tools" of VS2005/2008 as well:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/configuring-microsoft-visual-studio-for-64-bit-applications/

Jennifer
0 Kudos
xs2222
Beginner
Yes followed the instruction earlier and i have
"
if the box "X64 Compiler and Tools" is not checked, check it, then click Update. If the box is already checked, click Cancel.
"
yes i have the x64 compiler and tools checked..
i have tried all methods and it leads to a dead end still no way of coniguring x64 .
help !!!
0 Kudos
_heinz
Beginner
smithpd wrotes:
In addition to configuring Visual Studio to use "x64 Compiler and Tools", you must also install a 64 bit Intel compiler. To cross compile from IA32 development platform to X64 target platform you need Intel's "Product for IA-32/Intel 64". If you have only "Product for IA-32" installed, the cross compiler is hidden and will not be available, even when using the Microsoft compiler. I would suggest getting everything to run first using the Microsoft compiler alone and then switching it to the Intel compiler after that works
the fullarticle you find there:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/building-intel-64-architecture-applications-in-microsoft-visual-studio/

hoping this can help you
heinz
0 Kudos
xs2222
Beginner
Hi Heinz,
i have followed this article step by step earlier with the same result , in the drop down configutaion manager
i have Itanium and other smartphone dvices and not x64..
for the life of me i have no clue..
can i remove evrything including the sdk and reinstall from scratch ???
thanks
j
0 Kudos
xs2222
Beginner
Hi Heinz,
how do i install a 64 bit intel compiler ??
if you can guide me that would be awsome
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
You may as well remove all the Itanium tools, unless you have an Itanium target.
The only changes you should need to go from 32- to 64-bit on Windows X64 are:
1: add the c++/X64 tools in Visual Studio setup
2: download and install the ICL for Intel64 which is covered by your license (either from the separate Intel64 download or the combined ia32/intel64 mentioned by Hubert)
3. set your projects to Intel C++ and X64
0 Kudos
xs2222
Beginner
Surely compiling a 64 c++ compilation should be this hard ...
this is more than frustrating, have tried every single method, still could not get x64 on my conig manager in vs2008 pro,
and where do i get ICL for intel64 from when i do a web search i end with nothing...
w_cprof_p_11.1.054 would installing this solve the problem ?

i have even removed everything from the computer and reinstalled it , still no luck
0 Kudos
xs2222
Beginner
Hi Tim,
have tried everything except the icl for intel64 , where do i get it from tried web search end up with nothing...
please help
thanks
J
0 Kudos
xs2222
Beginner
I have win sdk 6.0A , 6.1, abd 7.0 installed in my computer... i read in a web page that icl does not install 64 bit
on win sdk 7.0 ..
so what do i do ?
thanks
J
0 Kudos
xs2222
Beginner
Hi Tim,
1 . added it is there
2. dowldaed thissde-ivb-external-3.88-2010-12-21-win-intel64-and-ia32
3. no x64 availabe yet
thanks
J
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
The sde is a different thing from the compilers. On https://registrationcenter.intel.com, sign in with your support account, or, if you haven't done so, first register your license to create a support account. Then you can view the downloads availabe for your license, which would include the intel64 counterparts to the ICL for ia32.
0 Kudos
xs2222
Beginner
Hi Tim,
thanks done that , and when i open vs2008 i have the option of intel c++ compiler, but when i run it says
using Compiling with Intel C++ 11.1.054 [IA-32]... (Intel C++ Environment)
and i coul not chage it to x64 in the config , the project platform still says WIN32 ...
and in vs 2008 the configuration manager Active solution platform still list win32 and none other..
thanks
j
0 Kudos
xs2222
Beginner
Hi Tim,
sorry i am able to change the it x64 in th intel c++ compiler tools option, but not within vs 2008 tool vc++ ,
is this normal... and if so is thsi compiling 64 bit , but why does it say
Deleting intermediate files and output files for project 'hw', configuration 'Debug|Win32'.
1>Compiling with Intel C++ 11.1.054 [IA-32]... (Intel C++ Environment)
Deleting intermediate files and output files for project 'hw', configuration 'Debug|Win32'.1>Compiling with Intel C++ 11.1.054 [IA-32]... (Intel C++ Environment)
or is this what it should look like..
and when i try to compile the softare plugin itself i get
error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol " (i know this is vs 2008 error , but if you could help me on this as well it would be great
thanks
j
0 Kudos
xs2222
Beginner
this is my preprocessor definition
WIN32;NDEBUG;_WINDOWS;NT_PLUGIN;_USRDLL;MM_EXPORTS
i have my header abd library setting done as well..
but still complains of link error...
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III
You do need to find where to change your project to X64; it's not entirely obvious to me either; I don't do this often. All your objects and libraries need to be built with /machine:X64 (or AMD64). When you switch to X64, it should automatically want to rebuild everything where you have source, but won't necessarily take care of 32-bit libraries and objects you may have in the project.
Maybe someone here could be of more help if you attach a complete build log, after you get into X64 mode.
I don't think the defines are a problem, although they may change slightly if you get the project set to X64.
0 Kudos
xs2222
Beginner
Hi Tim,
thanks i will post the buil log here.. i desperetley need help please.....
1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: mm, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1>Deleting intermediate files and output files for project 'mm', configuration 'Debug|Win32'.
1>Compiling with Intel C++ 11.1.054 [IA-32]... (Intel C++ Environment)
1>helloWorldCmd.cpp
1>Compiling manifest to resources... (Microsoft VC++ Environment)
1>Microsoft Windows Resource Compiler Version 6.1.6723.1
1>
1>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
1>
1>
1>Linking... (Intel C++ Environment)
1>xilink: executing 'link'
1> Creating library C:\Users\Jay\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\mm\Debug\mm.lib and object C:\Users\Jay\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\mm\Debug\mm.exp
1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall MPxCommand::MPxCommand(void)" (__imp_??0MPxCommand@@QAE@XZ) referenced in function "public: __thiscall helloWorld::helloWorld(void)" (??0helloWorld@@QAE@XZ)
1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: virtual __thiscall MPxCommand::~MPxCommand(void)" (__imp_??1MPxCommand@@UAE@XZ) referenced in function "public: virtual __thiscall helloWorld::~helloWorld(void)" (??1helloWorld@@UAE@XZ)
1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall MFnPlugin::MFnPlugin(class MObject &,char const *,char const *,char const *,class MStatus *)" (__imp_??0MFnPlugin@@QAE@AAVMObject@@PBD11PAVMStatus@@@Z) referenced in function "class MStatus __cdecl initializePlugin(class MObject)" (?initializePlugin@@YA?AVMStatus@@VMObject@@@Z)
1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall MStatus::MStatus(void)" (__imp_??0MStatus@@QAE@XZ) referenced in function "class MStatus __cdecl initializePlugin(class MObject)" (?initializePlugin@@YA?AVMStatus@@VMObject@@@Z)
1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall MString::MString(char const *)" (__imp_??0MString@@QAE@PBD@Z) referenced in function "class MStatus __cdecl initializePlugin(class MObject)" (?initializePlugin@@YA?AVMStatus@@VMObject@@@Z)
1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: class MStatus __thiscall MFnPlugin::registerCommand(class MString const &,void * (__cdecl*)(void),class MSyntax (__cdecl*)(void))" (__imp_?registerCommand@MFnPlugin@@QAE?AVMStatus@@ABVMString@@P6APAXXZP6A?AVMSyntax@@XZ@Z) referenced in function "class MStatus __cdecl initializePlugin(class MObject)" (?initializePlugin@@YA?AVMStatus@@VMObject@@@Z)
1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall MString::~MString(void)" (__imp_??1MString@@QAE@XZ) referenced in function "class MStatus __cdecl initializePlugin(class MObject)" (?initializePlugin@@YA?AVMStatus@@VMObject@@@Z)
1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: class MStatus & __thiscall MStatus::operator=(class MStatus const &)" (__imp_??4MStatus@@QAEAAV0@ABV0@@Z) referenced in function "class MStatus __cdecl initializePlugin(class MObject)" (?initializePlugin@@YA?AVMStatus@@VMObject@@@Z)
1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall MStatus::operator bool(void)const " (__imp_??BMStatus@@QBE_NXZ) referenced in function "class MStatus __cdecl initializePlugin(class MObject)" (?initializePlugin@@YA?AVMStatus@@VMObject@@@Z)
1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: void __thiscall MStatus::perror(char const *)const " (__imp_?perror@MStatus@@QBEXPBD@Z) referenced in function "class MStatus __cdecl initializePlugin(class MObject)" (?initializePlugin@@YA?AVMStatus@@VMObject@@@Z)
1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: virtual __thiscall MFnPlugin::~MFnPlugin(void)" (__imp_??1MFnPlugin@@UAE@XZ) referenced in function "class MStatus __cdecl initializePlugin(class MObject)" (?initializePlugin@@YA?AVMStatus@@VMObject@@@Z)
1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall MObject::~MObject(void)" (__imp_??1MObject@@QAE@XZ) referenced in function "class MStatus __cdecl initializePlugin(class MObject)" (?initializePlugin@@YA?AVMStatus@@VMObject@@@Z)
1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: class MStatus __thiscall MFnPlugin::deregisterCommand(class MString const &)" (__imp_?deregisterCommand@MFnPlugin@@QAE?AVMStatus@@ABVMString@@@Z) referenced in function "class MStatus __cdecl uninitializePlugin(class MObject)" (?uninitializePlugin@@YA?AVMStatus@@VMObject@@@Z)
1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall MStatus::MStatus(enum MStatus::MStatusCode)" (__imp_??0MStatus@@QAE@W4MStatusCode@0@@Z) referenced in function "public: virtual class MStatus __thiscall helloWorld::doIt(class MArgList const &)" (?doIt@helloWorld@@UAE?AVMStatus@@ABVMArgList@@@Z)
1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual class MStatus __thiscall MPxCommand::undoIt(void)" (?undoIt@MPxCommand@@UAE?AVMStatus@@XZ)
1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual class MStatus __thiscall MPxCommand::redoIt(void)" (?redoIt@MPxCommand@@UAE?AVMStatus@@XZ)
1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual bool __thiscall MPxCommand::isUndoable(void)const " (?isUndoable@MPxCommand@@UBE_NXZ)
1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual bool __thiscall MPxCommand::hasSyntax(void)const " (?hasSyntax@MPxCommand@@UBE_NXZ)
1>C:\Users\Jay\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\mm\Debug\mm.mll : fatal error LNK1120: 18 unresolved externals
1>Build log was saved at "file://C:\Users\Jay\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\mm\mm\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
1>mm - 19 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Rebuild All: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========
1>------ Rebuild All started: Project: mm, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------1>Deleting intermediate files and output files for project 'mm', configuration 'Debug|Win32'.1>Compiling with Intel C++ 11.1.054 [IA-32]... (Intel C++ Environment)1>helloWorldCmd.cpp1>Compiling manifest to resources... (Microsoft VC++ Environment)1>Microsoft Windows Resource Compiler Version 6.1.6723.11>1>Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.1>1>1>Linking... (Intel C++ Environment)1>xilink: executing 'link'1> Creating library C:\Users\Jay\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\mm\Debug\mm.lib and object C:\Users\Jay\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\mm\Debug\mm.exp1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall MPxCommand::MPxCommand(void)" (__imp_??0MPxCommand@@QAE@XZ) referenced in function "public: __thiscall helloWorld::helloWorld(void)" (??0helloWorld@@QAE@XZ)1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: virtual __thiscall MPxCommand::~MPxCommand(void)" (__imp_??1MPxCommand@@UAE@XZ) referenced in function "public: virtual __thiscall helloWorld::~helloWorld(void)" (??1helloWorld@@UAE@XZ)1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall MFnPlugin::MFnPlugin(class MObject &,char const *,char const *,char const *,class MStatus *)" (__imp_??0MFnPlugin@@QAE@AAVMObject@@PBD11PAVMStatus@@@Z) referenced in function "class MStatus __cdecl initializePlugin(class MObject)" (?initializePlugin@@YA?AVMStatus@@VMObject@@@Z)1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall MStatus::MStatus(void)" (__imp_??0MStatus@@QAE@XZ) referenced in function "class MStatus __cdecl initializePlugin(class MObject)" (?initializePlugin@@YA?AVMStatus@@VMObject@@@Z)1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall MString::MString(char const *)" (__imp_??0MString@@QAE@PBD@Z) referenced in function "class MStatus __cdecl initializePlugin(class MObject)" (?initializePlugin@@YA?AVMStatus@@VMObject@@@Z)1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: class MStatus __thiscall MFnPlugin::registerCommand(class MString const &,void * (__cdecl*)(void),class MSyntax (__cdecl*)(void))" (__imp_?registerCommand@MFnPlugin@@QAE?AVMStatus@@ABVMString@@P6APAXXZP6A?AVMSyntax@@XZ@Z) referenced in function "class MStatus __cdecl initializePlugin(class MObject)" (?initializePlugin@@YA?AVMStatus@@VMObject@@@Z)1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall MString::~MString(void)" (__imp_??1MString@@QAE@XZ) referenced in function "class MStatus __cdecl initializePlugin(class MObject)" (?initializePlugin@@YA?AVMStatus@@VMObject@@@Z)1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: class MStatus & __thiscall MStatus::operator=(class MStatus const &)" (__imp_??4MStatus@@QAEAAV0@ABV0@@Z) referenced in function "class MStatus __cdecl initializePlugin(class MObject)" (?initializePlugin@@YA?AVMStatus@@VMObject@@@Z)1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall MStatus::operator bool(void)const " (__imp_??BMStatus@@QBE_NXZ) referenced in function "class MStatus __cdecl initializePlugin(class MObject)" (?initializePlugin@@YA?AVMStatus@@VMObject@@@Z)1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: void __thiscall MStatus::perror(char const *)const " (__imp_?perror@MStatus@@QBEXPBD@Z) referenced in function "class MStatus __cdecl initializePlugin(class MObject)" (?initializePlugin@@YA?AVMStatus@@VMObject@@@Z)1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: virtual __thiscall MFnPlugin::~MFnPlugin(void)" (__imp_??1MFnPlugin@@UAE@XZ) referenced in function "class MStatus __cdecl initializePlugin(class MObject)" (?initializePlugin@@YA?AVMStatus@@VMObject@@@Z)1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall MObject::~MObject(void)" (__imp_??1MObject@@QAE@XZ) referenced in function "class MStatus __cdecl initializePlugin(class MObject)" (?initializePlugin@@YA?AVMStatus@@VMObject@@@Z)1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: class MStatus __thiscall MFnPlugin::deregisterCommand(class MString const &)" (__imp_?deregisterCommand@MFnPlugin@@QAE?AVMStatus@@ABVMString@@@Z) referenced in function "class MStatus __cdecl uninitializePlugin(class MObject)" (?uninitializePlugin@@YA?AVMStatus@@VMObject@@@Z)1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol "__declspec(dllimport) public: __thiscall MStatus::MStatus(enum MStatus::MStatusCode)" (__imp_??0MStatus@@QAE@W4MStatusCode@0@@Z) referenced in function "public: virtual class MStatus __thiscall helloWorld::doIt(class MArgList const &)" (?doIt@helloWorld@@UAE?AVMStatus@@ABVMArgList@@@Z)1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual class MStatus __thiscall MPxCommand::undoIt(void)" (?undoIt@MPxCommand@@UAE?AVMStatus@@XZ)1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual class MStatus __thiscall MPxCommand::redoIt(void)" (?redoIt@MPxCommand@@UAE?AVMStatus@@XZ)1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual bool __thiscall MPxCommand::isUndoable(void)const " (?isUndoable@MPxCommand@@UBE_NXZ)1>helloWorldCmd.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: virtual bool __thiscall MPxCommand::hasSyntax(void)const " (?hasSyntax@MPxCommand@@UBE_NXZ)1>C:\Users\Jay\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\mm\Debug\mm.mll : fatal error LNK1120: 18 unresolved externals1>Build log was saved at "file://C:\Users\Jay\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\mm\mm\Debug\BuildLog.htm"1>mm - 19 error(s), 0 warning(s)========== Rebuild All: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 skipped ==========
0 Kudos