Intel® C++ Compiler
Community support and assistance for creating C++ code that runs on platforms based on Intel® processors.
7957 Discussions

winnt.h declaration incompatible with func declared in emmintrin.h

TaylorIoTKidd
New Contributor I

I assume that this forum is trolled by the Intel C++ experts for answers the communal mind doesn't have.

I'm using Visual C++ 2008 (9.0.21022.8). And IC C++ 11.0.066.

I'm working on a module that uses old SSE 2 code. It compiles fine with VS but gets the following error using the IC:

1>Getblk_sse2.cpp
1>C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\\include\winnt.h(3332): error #147: declaration is incompatible with "void __cdecl _mm_pause()" (declared at line 375 of "C:\Program Files\Intel\Compiler\11.0\066\cpp\include\emmintrin.h")
1> _mm_pause (
1> ^
1>

The only thing I can find is that errors similar to this can occur if you're using an older version of the IC with a newer version of VS. But I'm not.

Any ideas? I'm using Vista SP2.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JenniferJ
did you use "__cdecl (/Gd)"? Try to add it.

Jennifer

0 Kudos
TaylorIoTKidd
New Contributor I

Quoting - Jennifer Jiang (Intel) did you use "__cdecl (/Gd)"? Try to add it.

Jennifer

Jennifer,

Thanks. It worked.

MSDN has an explanation of the calling conventions (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/46t77ak2.aspx), but I have to admit that I'm not sure about their advantages and disadvantages outside of __fastcall.

So I'm guessing that the problem was that winnt.h uses a __stdcall convention which didn't match with the __cdecl convention used in emmintrin.h. (Hey, if I'm wrong, correct me.)

--Taylor

0 Kudos
JenniferJ
Quoting - Taylor Kidd

So I'm guessing that the problem was that winnt.h uses a __stdcall convention which didn't match with the __cdecl convention used in emmintrin.h. (Hey, if I'm wrong, correct me.)
It's the mixmatch of winnt.h and emmintrin.h. If you do not use winnt.h, you can still use _stdcall with emmintrin.h. The icl knows what to do.

Jennifer
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Here are some technical details for reference: In older versions ( v11 and before ) of Intel C++ compilers _mm_pause is declared as follows: ... extern void _mm_pause(void); ... In latest versions ( v12 and v13 ) of Intel C++ compilers _mm_pause is declared as follows: ... extern void __ICL_INTRINCC _mm_pause(void); ... and __ICL_INTRINCC is declared as follows: /* * Define the calling convention that will be used by intrinsics. * For most of them this convention has almost no effect, as they are * completely lowered by compiler. To override the calling convention * throw an additional option -D__ICL_INTRINCC=. This may * be needed to match MSFT declrartions, which miss __cdecl specifier. */ #ifndef __ICL_INTRINCC #ifndef _MSC_VER # define __ICL_INTRINCC #else # define __ICL_INTRINCC __cdecl #endif #endif /*__ICL_INTRINCC */ #ifndef __ICL_CDECLCC #ifndef _MSC_VER # define __ICL_CDECLCC #else # define __ICL_CDECLCC __cdecl #endif #endif /* __ICL_CDECLCC */ #ifndef _MSC_VER #define __cdecl #endif As you can see there was a change in declaration of _mm_pause intrinsic function.
0 Kudos