Intel® Collaboration Suite for WebRTC
Community support and discussions on the Intel® Collaboration Suite for WebRTC (Intel® CS for WebRTC).
1146 Discussions

Audio quality in recorded MCU stream very poor

Mark_d_10
Beginner

Hi,

I have made a recording of a MCU stream, but the audio quality of the video was very poor. There is lot of background noise and cracking in the sound.
Is there a way to improve this? The Video quality is ok. But with the terrible audio it's not becoming a very usefull video.

I've tried both the options pcmu and opus as the audioCodec settings for the recorded stream.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Lei_Z_Intel1
Employee

What's the input audio codec when you choose pcmu and opus as the recording audio codec? Or you always leave the input codec as default?

0 Kudos
Mark_d_10
Beginner

I've tested with the basic example, so no changes are made to the input codec. So the input codec is default.

The sound in the room itself is very clear during when we tested a conversation with 4 users. It is only in the recording were the cracking appears. Listening back from the recording what is told during the conversation is very hard.

0 Kudos
Lei_Z_Intel1
Employee

Got it. We found default PCMU recording output quality is really not good. But if set output codec as Opus it seems OK. This align with the default meeting output Opus sounds good. We will look at the PCMU recording quality issue, can you please double check the Opus recording quality?

0 Kudos
Mark_d_10
Beginner

Ok, after examining my javascript code I saw the correct options were not parsed correctly to the recording function so it defaulted always to pcmu, my bad. In Opus quality it is indeed better than pcmu, so it's better usable, still a bit of noise in the background, but that might also be related to the poor quality of the laptop microphone. So I will investigate that a bit more.

0 Kudos
Lei_Z_Intel1
Employee

We found it's the defect of our product on pcmu style audio generation. Will change the default recording output to opus in coming 3.2.1 patch release and plan to have a thorough solution at next major release 3.3. Thanks for reporting this and your patience.

0 Kudos