Intel® Collaboration Suite for WebRTC
Community support and discussions on the Intel® Collaboration Suite for WebRTC (Intel® CS for WebRTC).

Firewall's CPU usage raking upto 100%

Naresh_R_1
New Contributor I

Hi Chunbo,

I am facing a strange issue using the Intel CS WebRTC MCU.

I have the MCU server running and 5 users are logged into the conference room. Here, the cpu usage on firewall is around 80%. And without the conference, usually the cpu will be at around 45%.

No one else is using the bandwidth of my network.

I have a bandwidth of 26Mbps down and 26Mbps up.

When an extra user logs into the conference, the firewall CPU goes up to 100% immediately and no other user is able to even open the google page.

And when I monitor the bandwidth usage, it stays at around 10Mbps down and 2Mbps up at 640x480 resolution video.

So it is definitely not a bandwidth issue. But with other video conferencing solutions, this is not the case and firewall CPU works fine.

Is this problem the same with any WebRTC solution?

Kindly let me know your view on this and suggest me a solution for this problem.

Thanks & Regards,

Naresh Reddy

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Chunbo_H_Intel1
Employee

Please tell us the MCU version you're using?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Naresh_R_1
New Contributor I

Hi Chunbo,

We are using Version 3.0 update 2.

and Firewall we are using is Dell Sonic wall  2 x 500 MHz Mips64 Octeon Processor , 512 MB RAM, 32 MB Flash , Model NSA 220

Thanks

Naresh

0 Kudos
Chunbo_H_Intel1
Employee

To my understanding, 512 MB memory is definitely not suitable for video conference server. We recommend RAM size 8GB at least.

Correct me if I take it wrong. Thanks!

0 Kudos
Naresh_R_1
New Contributor I

Hi Chubo,

For MCU we are using Intel Xeon CPU with 8 core Processor 16 GB Ram with Forwarding Archietecture we dont have any issues with server machine

Problem is at firewall CPU Usage, it goes to 100% once 7 users logged in to MCU. 

512 MB RAM is for Firewall and can handle max of 24000 Connections

Thanks

Naresh

0 Kudos
Chunbo_H_Intel1
Employee

Hi Naresh,

Could you give us more information about the Firewall you mentioned? Is it a software that runs on MCU server machine, or a component on your network?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Naresh_R_1
New Contributor I

Hi Chunbo,

Its physical device in the network where all systems connected through that firewall

Thanks

Naresh

0 Kudos
Chunbo_H_Intel1
Employee

Besides the server itself, there should be no media work on the external firewall. I think the burst depends on your firewall policy.

Thanks!

0 Kudos