Intel® Collaboration Suite for WebRTC
Community support and discussions on the Intel® Collaboration Suite for WebRTC (Intel® CS for WebRTC).

Retaining ExternalStream in a room when the publisher disconnects

Daniel_E_
Beginner

I would like to publish an external stream (RTSP) into a room, so multiple users in the same room can see it.

I would also like the users to be able to leave the room in any order and the remaining users still be able to watch/hear the stream.

The problem is, I can only see one way of publishing the stream, and that is from the client Woogeen API. It works initially, and subsequent users joining the same room can see the stream okay.

But if the user that published first leaves the room, then the stream dies, and other user no longer see/hear video.

Is there a way I can publish an external stream (perhaps on the server side) so that it is not associated with a specific client user?

It would also be good to have an event at the server that tells me when users have left a room, but I can check on an interval timer otherwise. This is so I could automatically unpublish such a stream when no users are remaining in the room.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Lei_Z_Intel1
Employee

All publish/subscribe operations are designed to associate with specific users for easy system resource management. For your requirement, we will develop RESTful APIs to do back-end operations easily, but still need associate with user. Hope this make sense to you.

Regarding to the user left event notification, now we have already such event, please refer to the SDK user guide for the details.

0 Kudos
RLinc
Beginner

Hello Lei, Dan,

We also see 'parent' of a room closure for RTSP sources as a major issue for our deployment. The Intel WebRTC collaboration suite is an excellent solution for security based applications viewing both IP camera's and user video conference rooms. We look forward to the API additions to continue our solution to market. After concept is complete we will be using the Intel VCA transcode hardware for scalability. We look forward to your update.

0 Kudos
RLinc
Beginner

Hi Lei,

Will the back end RESTful API for manual / override room closure be available in v3.4?

Do you have a development estimation time? The work around is rather messy, having to create a dummy dynamic parent to open the room prior to any 'real' clients connecting, then be aware when everyone has left.

This will be a great feature for RTSP applications with video conferencing.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Lei_Z_Intel1
Employee

Not yet for v3.4. Will update you if we have estimated plan on that. Thanks for your patience.

0 Kudos
RLinc
Beginner

Thank-you for your feedback, this information helps determine the role out date for the solution. We eagerly await your plan.

Best Regards, Rich.

0 Kudos
RLinc
Beginner

Hello Lei,

Have Intel an update on this thread, parent room closure (all other participants ejected) ?

Many thanks.

Rich.

0 Kudos
RLinc
Beginner

Hello,

Do we have any update on the request for this powerful feature?

The ability to create rooms for RTSP sources as users enter and leave would be most functional. Do you hace any suggestions for a work around?

Cheers.

0 Kudos