Intel® Collaboration Suite for WebRTC
Community support and discussions on the Intel® Collaboration Suite for WebRTC (Intel® CS for WebRTC).

Sanity check for Media Server Studio fails

JHorn4
Beginner

I followed installation process at  your HOWTO "How to enable Intel® Media Server Studio on Ubuntu14.04 LTS" in this forum. Everything builds an installs OK, but sanity check failed: Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display "localhost:10.0".

I suppose this is a problem due to ssh -X to the Ubuntu server. Do you know a workaround for checking if erverything is working as expecting?

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Chunbo_H_Intel1
Employee

Have you run the "export DISPLAY..." variable to set the right value for your server display? since you're using ssh.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
JHorn4
Beginner

Hi Chunbo,

Did another test: Started inside my ssh connection an xterm, inside that session I set environment and run "vainfo". Here's the output:

~$ vainfo 
libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
vainfo: dri2_util.c:199: isDRI2Connected: Assertion `dri_state->base.fd >= 0' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)
~$

Whats wrong?

0 Kudos
Chunbo_H_Intel1
Employee

Could you show me the command you run for "export DISPLAY.."?

Another suggestion is that you log onto your Ubuntu server locally to run the VAINFO in X11. Let me know whether is works or not.

0 Kudos
JHorn4
Beginner

Hi Chunbo,

Here's what I did:
- ssh to Ubuntu Server (its a virtual machine at ESXi)
- inside that ssh started a xterm (the xterm is shown at my local machine: $ echo $DISPLAY: localhost:10.0 )
- inside that xterm I get following error message:

~$ vainfo 
libva info: VA-API version 0.35.0
vainfo: dri2_util.c:199: isDRI2Connected: Assertion `dri_state->base.fd >= 0' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)
~$

0 Kudos
Chunbo_H_Intel1
Employee

OK. The current MSS package has not been supported on Virtual Machine...

0 Kudos
JHorn4
Beginner

Is there a chance for a (unsupported) workaround?

0 Kudos
Chunbo_H_Intel1
Employee

Not till now in my knowledge. The good thing is that the virtualization of MSS advantage should be probably ready and released next year.

Stay tuned!

0 Kudos
JHorn4
Beginner

Is there an update for supporting MSS in virtual environments.

Not for production, but for developing/testing it would be helpful. And - to my knowledge, Intel Skylake Xeons of newest generations are supporting hardware based transcoding at Vsphere/ESXi 6 too.

Thanks!
Juergen

0 Kudos
Lei_Z_Intel1
Employee

Maybe this link can address your interest https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/how-to-setup-media-server-studio-r6-on-vt-d ;

More information, please refer Intel Media Server Studio Document site https://software.intel.com/en-us/intel-media-server-studio/documentation

0 Kudos