Intel® Collaboration Suite for WebRTC
Community support and discussions on the Intel® Collaboration Suite for WebRTC (Intel® CS for WebRTC).

large server-side mixed video conference

David_H_2
Beginner
I'm looking to add live-video-chat to a system which routinely runs 26-person full collaborative sessions (classrooms of 25 students and 1 teacher).  I'd like the video chat to be as inclusive, so I'd like all 26 people to be broadcasting their video and audio, and subscribing to all other 25 video streams.  I'd also like to centrally archive all 26 video streams for later playback.

I'd be looking at:

for each classroom:

26 published streams
26 archived streams
25 subscribers per stream (650 stream subscriptions)

I do not require that the individual streams are sent down to the clients as separate streams - if the service can mux them into a grid or some other layout to conserve client bandwidth and processing, that'd be excellent.

There are times when a number of classrooms are happening simultaneously.  Sometimes up to 4, but there may be times in the future when 10 or 20 are happening simultaneously.

The teachers and students are in a web-app, so I'd want to be using WebRTC as a first choice (which would handle desktop chrome, android chrome, opera, and firefox), with a preference for fallback to ORTC (to handle edge), with a preference to fallback to flash (to handle Internet Explorer and OSX Safari), with a preference to fallback to HLS streaming (to handle iOS safari subscribing, but not sending).

t seems like many of these features are provided by the system.  Do these requirements cause concern, or do they suggest particular scaling levels and licensing levels?  

0 Kudos
5 Replies
manit_c_
Beginner

David, 

I sounds like your question is more business related as to which technology you should use. The Intel WebRTC platform is mainly is not a plug and play system that you can easily install and deploy a working solution. With some serious programming efforts you can probably get the Intel library to work as you need it to. Since its not open source, I doubt some of those features you are looking for will be easy to develop. 

0 Kudos
David_H_2
Beginner

I expect to do a lot of programming around this solution, but I don't want to start using this if it turns out that any of my final expectations are unrealistic.  

1) Is it reasonable to expect that the serverside component of this will be able to mux 26 audio streams together, and grid 26 video streams, and return those back to all 26 participants?  Is that within the compute power of a given server, or is it outside the capability of this system?

2) Is it reasonable to expect that the serverside component of this will be able to record the 26 audio&video streams into individual files before muxing&gridding them?  Is that within the IO power of a given server, or is it outside the capability of this system?

Thanks,

-Dave

0 Kudos
Lei_Z_Intel1
Employee

Hi, Dave

Thanks for considering Intel CS for WebRTC as your RTC solution candidate. According to your description on the requirement, I think generally Intel CS for WebRTC can meet that target.  Intel CS for WebRTC server components are highly distributed with WebRTC accessing, video processing, audio processing, recording, etc. Absolutely it can mux 26 audio/video streams into one and record each individual stream. If you need more concurrent rooms, just adding computing resources as building blocks.

Best wishes,

Zhai Lei 

0 Kudos
yongtao_x_
Beginner

大家好:

MCU 多画面合成,每个用户对应布局上的窗口ID 能调整吗。 通过sdk接口没有找到对应的设置。

0 Kudos
Lei_Z_Intel1
Employee

You can use getRegion/setRegion APIs.

0 Kudos