Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

0.5ft or 1ft type-C power cable for m3 compute stick

Is it possible to use any high quality USB-C cable that supports at least 2.2A or is the cable special?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

This is NOT a USB-C port! It is a custom connector for the special cable from the combined power brick and USB 3.0 Hub.

It is unfortunate that Intel chose to use this particular (physical) connector and non-standard interface; you are not the first to be confused by this...

...S

Highlighted

I would add that this also applies to the Core m5 version of the CC Compute Stick.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

Technically if the pinouts match on both ends and the cable supports at least 3A per the USB-C specification... then it should work.

I can see that there is many different pinouts for USB type-C. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C# Connector_pinouts

I would rather have the power brick closer to the compute stick so the USB ports are accessible and simply run an extension cord to the wall receptacle.

Maybe Intel can share the technical specifications of this cable and then I can contact Anker to see if they have a cable available.

If I misunderstood something. Please point it out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Again, since this is NOT a USB-C connector or cable (it just looks like one). Nothing that you see in the USB-C specification applies to it. This is a custom/proprietary connection between the power brick (which also houses USB 3.0 hub) and the Compute Stick. That's all the information I received from the engineering team. I have no idea whether the cable is a straight-thru or not. I wouldn't be trying this without first getting the spec. Perhaps ICS can obtain it for you.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

A USB-C connector fits; therefore it is a USB-C connector BUT the configuration of the internal pins at the connector is unknown.

There is many USB-C cables that work with some phones/devices and not others.

The Intel compute stick does follow the USB 3.1 Gen 1 specification because if it didn't, USB devices would not work when plugged into the USB ports on the power brick.

Which USB configuration being used is unknown but what is known is that the cable supports power delivery and superspeed as indicated beside the USB ports.

"USB 3.0/3.1/3.2

In the USB 3.0/3.1/3.2 mode, two or four high speed links are used in TX/RX pairs to provide 5 to 20 Gbit/s throughput. One of the CC pins is used to negotiate the mode.

VBUS and GND provide 5 V up to 900 mA, in accordance with the USB 3.1 specification. A specific USB-C mode may also be entered, where 5 V up to 3 A is provided.https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C# cite_note-59 [50] A third alternative is to establish a Power Delivery contract." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB-C# USB-C_receptacle_pin_usage_in_different_modes USB-C - Wikipedia

The compute stick requires 2.2A and therefore is using this specific USB-C mode.

The power brick itself is saying... 5.2V 2.2A(Type-C) when referring to the type-C port on the power brick.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Again, I repeat: This is NOT a USB-C connection! It is unfortunate that Intel chose to use these standard physical connectors in a nonstandard way, but the fact is, they did. While it's true that power and USB 3.0 (NOT 3.1) signals are being passed over this cable, it is not to any standard nor it is documented for user modification. Plugging any other cable into these connectors could result in damage to the Compute Stick and/or its Power Supply.

Look, I am not going to argue this issue with you. It is what it is and you have been warned. You want to screw with it, go right ahead, but understand that you are on your own and likely voiding your warranty in the process.

I don't work for Intel and I have no idea whether Intel Customer Support will respond to any further queries on this conversation. I certainly won't be.

...S

0 Kudos