Intel® Compute Stick
Support for Intel® Compute Sticks and Cards
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
536 Discussions

Can’t do a Bios Update for Intel Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC

RyanInzero
Beginner
Hi all!
I’m having trouble doing a BIOS update for the Intel Compute Stick: STCK1A32WFC

It boots up saying “No bootable device found” I followed some steps on Intel’s site to isolate the issue. It’s showing no Boot Drive. I then got prompted to download the correct drive. I downloaded:

“System-on-a-chip (SOC) Driver Package for STCK1A32WFC”

I downloaded both windows 10, 32bit and the 8.1, 32bit.

I first used the 8.1 and put it on an sd card turned it on and used the recovery mode f10 I believe. I was able to access the files on the SD card but there wasn’t an actual update button, they were just files. (The setup feature was only available on my pc). So I then thought maybe I needed to do the setup and then plug it into the stick.

When I try the setup on my computer it says: “the setup program ended prematurely because of the following error: this platform is not supported”

And yeah that’s where I’m at.
I’ve read somewhere I needed to format a usb to something specific in order for it to run. I’m using an SD card. Does that still apply?

Any help would be much appreciated, customer service said it’s discontinued and didn’t help.
0 Kudos
14 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

No, you should be able to use a micro SD card (uSD) to do the update. Do the following:

1. Take this uSD to another PC running Windows.
  2. Regardless of its current format, reformat the uSD to the FAT32 file system with the Quick Format option disabled.
  3. Copy the BIOS update file (FC0040.BIO) onto this uSD.
  4. Use the System Tray icon or the Context Menu Eject item to properly eject the uSD before removing from the PC.
  5. Power off the Intel Compute Stick (ICS).
  6. Insert the uSD into the ICS.
  7. Power on the ICS.
  8. When the BIOS logo screen appears, immediately and repeatedly press the F7 key (once a second) until the BIOS Update dialog appears.
  9. Select the update file (FC0040.BIO) on the uSD device and start the BIOS update process.
  10. When the BIOS Update completes, the ICS will be rebooted.
  11. When the BIOS logo screen appears, immediately and repeatedly press the F2 key (once a second) until the main BIOS Setup screen appears.
  12. Press F9 and then click on the Yes button to reset the BIOS Configuration.
  13. Press F10 and then click on the Yes button to save the configuration change and exit from BIOS Setup.
  14. Test that it will boot into Windows.

Hope this helps,

...S

RyanInzero
Beginner
Thanks for the reply! The only issue is the file I’m downloading doesn’t ever say (FC0040.BIO). I’m not sure where to get that file? When I download the SOC driver the file reads -> “soc_byt_win8.1_32” -> “platforminstaller” -> “Drivers”, “Config (XML Doc)”, and a “Setup Application”. If you go into Drivers it lists a bunch of files as so: audio, GPIO, GPIOVirtual, I2C, MBI, PMIC, TXEI, UAET.
If you do the setup of gives the error code I described in the Main Thread.

So I’m not sure where I’d get a file with xxxx.bio
Thanks!
RyanInzero
Beginner

So I just tried the update with the FC0040.BIO file.

SD card reformatted to FAT32, quick format was disabled when I formatted it.
It runs the update, says update complete I then do F2 -> F9 -> F10
Same result it says no bootable device. I did the update again went F2 and in the Configuration page it still shows “no boot drive”
So not sure if there is a different solution?
Thanks!
EDIT: Also in the configuration page I went into the event log, it gives me Errors:

CMOS Checksum Error (16)

CMOS Time Not Set (16)

occasionally this will pop up initially when you plug the stick into a new power source, and the “no bootable device” follows this message.

LeonWaksman
Super User

You may try to recover Windows from the Recovery Partition on you Compute Stick (all personal data will lost):

1. Power on the Compute Stick

2. During boot, press F8 when you see the prompt F8 to Activate Windows Recovery Mode.

3. Follow the recovery steps.

Leon

RyanInzero
Beginner
Hi Leon!
Thanks for the response!
Yeah I had tried the recovery mode on the menu that’s displayed after holding down the power button for 3 seconds. It actually turned my display off but the stick was still on.

Then I just tried it without holding down the power button and for whatever reason it’s unresponsive. It’s as if I hadn’t pressed anything and continues to the message “no bootable device found”

Let me know if there is anything else I should try!
LeonWaksman
Super User

1. You should connect power to your Compute Stick and you should see that power LED is illuminated and your device starts to boot. Short depress the power button only if the power LED is not illuminated after connecting power.

2. After few seconds, you should see Intel Compute Stick logo.

3. Next you will see the menu with F2 (for entering into BIOS), F7 (to BIOS update), F8 (for Windows recovery) and F10 (for Boot Menu). Click on F8, your device should boot into Windows Advanced Menu.

4. Click on Troubleshoot. You will get an option to recover Windows to the last saved working point.

Leon

RyanInzero
Beginner

Hi Leon!
Yeah went through that process. For whatever reason F8 doesn’t do anything.

F2 works, F7 works and F10 works. Maybe it’s my keyboard? Will try with another keyboard….presently
Thanks!

EDIT: yeah just tried another keyboard. F8 doesn’t do anything. 

n_scott_pearson

This has nothing to do with drivers; it is a firmware (BIOS) issue.

You get the .BIO file here: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/18173/bios-update-for-compute-stick-fcbyt10h.html?w.... Download it and follow the process I defined above (don't skip any steps). 

...S

RyanInzero
Beginner
And that looks like that’s what I’m looking for
Yeah I’m not sure why it’s so misleading when you are trying to follow Intels links but even the rep didn’t know, so good thing you’re here!
I’ll try this tomorrow…it looks like this should work for me, I appreciate it!
n_scott_pearson

I cannot remember; is there an option in the BIOS to disable the eMMC drive? If so, you may need to enable it.

Hope this helps,

...S

RyanInzero
Beginner

I don’t see anything saying eMMC in the BIOS. Although, I noticed the UEFI Shell is disabled should that be enabled?

n_scott_pearson

When you use the F10 key at POST, what are the entries it displays?

RyanInzero
Beginner

Nothing shows.
It says “Please Select Boot Devices”

And there is nothing.

Hugo_Intel

Hello RyanInzero

Thank you for posting on the Intel️® communities.   

Due to this product being discontinued, Intel Customer Service no longer supports inquiries for it, I am glad to see that fellow community members have the knowledge and they jumped in and helped. You may also find the Discontinued Products website helpful to address your request.    

You can get the specifications and verify this product's discontinuance status at the Intel® Product Specifications website > Product Status > "Discontinued".  

Please keep in mind that this thread will no longer be monitored by Intel. I appreciate your understanding. 

Best regards,  

Hugo O.   

Intel Customer Support Technician.