Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PKozi1
Beginner

Compute Sticks - fast boot & power consumption

It's my first post here, so hello everyone!

I've got 2 Intel Compute Sticks STK1AW32SC and STK2m3W64CC and my problem is that Fast Boot doesn't always work on STK2. E.g. I do proper turn off in Windows, both are turned off, then i cut off power and get power back. STK1 can still use Fast Boot and get into Windows in about 22sec, but STK2 has long post screen with compute stick logo and boots into the windows in about 44 sec. What is the reason of such behaviour? In addition, STK1 turned off consumes 0.0 [W], STK2 turned off consumes 0.2 [W]. I don't like it either.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello ppk!,

Thank you for joining the Intel® Compute Stick Community.

In order to address this matter in the most accurate way, please let me know the BIOS version installed in these units. Was the behavior present before?

Regards,

Amy C.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

In the CC ICS BIOS, do you have Wake System From S5 enabled? This would explain the power utilization in S5 (it has Management Engine running).

...S

PKozi1
Beginner

BIOSes are the newest avaible. STK1 was manually updated to Creators Update. STK2 is brand new, it had it already. I'm not shure and i didnt noticed, but on STK1 before CU update:

S5->desktop was ~44sec,

after CU speed up to ~22sec.

Wake System from S5 disabled.

Consumption in S5 drops when I disconnect USB hub, but not to 0 [W].

I said earlier that Fast Boot dont work. Well maybe I didn't express my self properly. Maybe it works, but post screen (the one with ICS logo only, without info about "F2 to enter bios..." etc.), stays for a little longer, than in situation without power cut off.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Yea, I see the difference in boot speed as well. The m5 CC is not quite as bad as the m3 CC but still (too) long.

Remember, from power on to first presentation of spinner is BIOS time; Windows owns everything after that. Removal of the BIOS menu occurs when Windows completes primary loading and switches to runtime video driver.

...S