Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KSay
Beginner

How to boot from microsd card with windows 7 embedded? (Or boot with USB DVD drive or USB flash drive)

I have the Intel Compute Stick STCK1A32WFC. Idealy I'd like to boot from a MicroSD card. If this is not possible I'm wondering if I can boot from a USB DVD drive or even a USB flash drive. Has anyone successfully gotten any of these to work?

Thanks for your time!

Kenny

0 Kudos
3 Replies
EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, kennysay:

Thank you for contacting the Intel Communities.

The Intel® Compute Stick is meant to work with Windows 8.1 or 10*.

Here you can find some additional information about the different versions that are supported by the unit.

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000005899.html Intel® Compute Stick Supported Operating Systems

Please refer to the section "Other operating systems"

If you require any further information, feel free to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C

KSay
Beginner

I appreciate the response! Operating system aside, the major issue is getting the machine to boot from a DVD or flash drive. The stick doesn't seem to be recognizing the DVD drive in the BIOS boot menu. I'll explain:

I am trying to get a DVD drive to be recognized at boot. (Connected via USB) For example, on boot there is an option (F10) for boot menu. The USB DVD drive is not recognized in this menu. I have also checked for more options in the BIOS menu (F2 on boot) but didn't see much there either. Is there something I would have to do special to the DVD I'm trying to boot from? Or maybe is there a BIOS update I can install?

Some of the DVD media I have tried booting from includes windows 8.1 DVD, Windows 7 Embedded DVD, System Rescue CD, and Ubuntu Desktop 14.10 DVD.

I would be just as happy being able to boot from a flash drive or MicroSD card.

EstebanA_C_Intel
Employee

Hello, kennysay:

Thank you for your answer.

So far the MicroSD boot is not available in the BIOS so that option is not available and hasn't been tested, so I cannot assure you it is going to work.

Booting from USB is available in the BIOS of the Intel® Compute Stick so that could be an option; however, the default would be booting from EMMC inside your device so I cannot say it is going to work properly.

Indeed if you are able to test this and provide us with your feedback, I would be really helpful for future references.

Regards,

Esteban C