Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RDroz
Beginner

Intel Compute Stick image does not fit screen at any resolution level

Bought & connected Intel Compute Stick (STK1AW32SC) running Windows 10 to a Sony Bravia full HD (1080i) TV via the HDMI input. All worked fine, but the screen image is cut off all around the edges (overscan), making it unusable as a computer. No resolution settings found, either in the compute stick software or TV settings, fix the problem. Let me repeat that, NO settings found fix the problem. There is no slider for resolution, just three pre-set resolution levels to select, none of which fix the problem. Let me repeat, there is NO slider for resolution. I've attempted many combinations of resolution levels using the Advanced Setting, which requires manual inputs by either a deep computer expert or a guesser (like me), none of which fix the problem. I've been reading many posts about similar issues, all out of date or with inapplicable information. Is this an MS Windows issue? Or is this an Intel Compute Stick problem? Either way, I need a 2018 solution (and I don't need a bunch of irrelevant questions or useless suggestions that indicate no one has a solution or that the solution hasn't been tested before being suggested). Note: the Compute Stick is marketed as a mobile product you can take and use anywhere just by attaching it to a TV (it even comes with plug adapters for world-wide travel, presumably including hotels). If it requires extensive adjustments and guesswork to any of the settings on each TV to which it's attached to make it usable, then it doesn't live up to its business model.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
24 Replies
idata
Community Manager

Hello, nuxdrozd.

Thank you very much for contacting the Intel® Communities Team.

I understand you are facing some issues when connecting your Intel Compute Stick to your SONY® Bravia TV. I will be more than glad to assist you with this problem you are facing.

In this case, can you please install the latest graphics drivers? In order to achieve so please download the drivers by clicking https://downloadmirror.intel.com/26182/eng/GFX_Win10_32_15.40.37.4835.zip here. Then, to complete the installation, please follow this guide: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005629.html

When these steps are completed, on your desktop, please press CTRL+ALT+F8 to set the Intel® Graphics settings back to default.

Please let me know the results.

Antony S.
RDroz
Beginner

OK, let's think for a moment. I'm not in this forum from the Intel Compute Stick; remember it's unusable because of the screen issue. Therefore, sending me a hyperlink to download to my desktop pc does me no good. I can and will try hand copying the URL (which I'll need to keep hovering over in order to transcribe) and see if I can access enough of the Intel Compute Stick screen to access the URL. I looked at the guide you linked me to and note that it says "Computer manufacturers can change the features..." Let's remember YOU are the manufacturer - it's an INTEL Compute Stick. Finally, when these steps are completed, on my desktop I'm supposed to set my Intel Graphics settings back to default? Why would I do that to my desktop pc? The problem is in your Intel Compute Stick attached to my TV, not my desktop. Has Intel tested the remedy you're telling me to do? Or are you guessing?

idata
Community Manager

Hello, nuxdrozd.

I am terribly sorry this issue persists.

I would like to know what happens when you connect your Intel® Compute Stick to another TV or monitor.

Additionally, please generate a Graphics Report and attach it to your next post while your Compute Stick is connected to your SONY® TV. In order to generate the report please follow this link: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005848/graphics-drivers.html

To attach a file, you must click the "Attach" option on the bottom right-hand corner of the response box.

Antony S.
RDroz
Beginner

Antony,

Before I attempt what will be a very painful process to generate the report you're requesting, please tell me exactly what you're looking for in the report. You see, the Intel Compute Stick is not a stand-alone PC, such as the one we're conversing on, that would make the steps at the link you provided fairly straight-forward and simple. It will require hand-copying the URL and standing in front of my family room television with a wireless keyboard. And, every step is made even more complex by the difficulty of overscan. From what I can see in the example report, you're looking for system specs and OS & driver versions. If so, the driver is your most current version, as I downloaded and installed it a few days ago (ref this stream; though I suspect I already had the most current installed at the time of download). The OS is Win10 v1709 (the most current version available). As for the system specs, the Intel Compute Stick is brand new out-of-the-box, so you have all the system specs you need there at Intel.

I will, at an opportunity this weekend, attempt to attach the stick to another television.

RM9
Beginner

Here is my report.

RDroz
Beginner

Fail. I copied the URL you sent. Entered it in the Compute Stick browser (not easy, given the screen problems) and received an error that the page didn't exist. Tried to go to just the downloadmirror, and got a restricted access error. Very close to returning this Intel product as not fit for purpose and spreading my poor review far and wide. Any more guesses?

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

The page exists and can be accessed without issue. I just verified that the link works perfectly. I also verified that the links that appear on that page work perfectly as well.

Latest available driver for this stick is available here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/26182/Compute-Stick-Intel-HD-Graphics-Driver-for-Intel-Com... Download Intel® HD Graphics Driver for Intel® Compute Stick STK1AW32SC . Install this version and see whether it makes the adjustments available.

Hope this helps,

...S

RDroz
Beginner

Please send me the exact URL, not a link, as I have to hand copy it from this computer and enter it into a browser on the Compute Stick.

n_scott_pearson

The dang site makes this hard to do! Here it is with some spaces inserted next to slashes: https:// downloadcenter.intel.com / download / 26182.

...S

RDroz
Beginner

Thanks. That's different from the URL previously sent. I'll go try it.

RDroz
Beginner

Successfully downloaded and installed, and re-started. Ctrl+Alt+F8 did nothing apparent. No change to resolution. Back to square 1.

n_scott_pearson

Go into Graphics Properties and see if it is exposing the parameters necessary for making the adjustment in the image output.

...S

RDroz
Beginner

Nope. Exactly the same three options as before.

RDroz
Beginner

Right. I'll give your engineers until Sunday to solve this issue. Then I'll box it up, return it, and check out your competitors in the stick PC category.

Mitchell_R_Intel
Employee

Check which version of Windows 10 is on the stick. You may have to update to the latest release through Windows Update to get support for overscan. Also, as was mentioned, updater to the latest Gfx driver. I know there is an overscan option somewhere I just don't remember where. Also, try lowering the resolution to 720p and see if displays correctly.

RDroz
Beginner

MrMitch, I do appreciate the ideas. The Intel Compute Stick automatically sought and installed the latest Win 10 update on first boot, so I'm confident it's current. While 720 is one of the three resolution settings available, it didn't solve the problem. Also, I paid for a pc that's optimized for 1080 and attached it to a 1080 TV. If it would only work at 720, I'd return it as defective.

n_scott_pearson

Mr. Mitch is correct; you do need to look carefully; it is unlikely that your Windows is fully up to date. Most of the Compute Sticks, because of their limited disk space and memory, will not automatically upgrade to the Fall Creator's Update. You typically have to do this manually.

...S

RDroz
Beginner

Thanks. As I suspected, I'm running v1709, which is the Fall Creators' Update.

idata
Community Manager

nuxdrozd: Thank you very much for your reply. The purpose of this report is to check some specifications from the display and the configuration set in the controller, that will actually help a lot with my research. We do have all the specs of the Compute Stick nonetheless we still need to verify all the configuration you have on the controller with this report.

Antony S.
RDroz
Beginner

Antony, I have returned the Intel Compute Stick to the store for refund. I simply do not have the time in my life to spend solving Intel's engineering problems. I will begin anew my research on stick PCs and likely purchase from one of your competitors. Should Intel succeed in resolving this problem, please feel free to contact me. If I haven't already made a purchase - and the incentives are right - I'll reconsider Intel. Thank you for your efforts.