Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

NEED HELPS ICS WINDOWS 1ST GENERATION

HELLO, I try to install ubuntu on my ICS windows first generation but when I boot on the USB drive I have only a black screen and nothing else, I made all things right : Change in my bios to ubuntu boot up, I tried several versions of ubuntu (linuxium) for my device but nothing allways a black screen on boot and nothing else, I need Help ! THX

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
15 Replies
linuxium
New Contributor III

So you don't even see a GRUB menu?

Could you provide more information including:

1. What BIOS version are you running on?

2. How are you creating your USB with the Ubuntu ISO?

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

I have the last one bios : 0032 and I made several usb keys with rufus.

linuxium
New Contributor III

Can you install BIOS version 0027 and try Ubuntu from your USB again?

idata
Community Manager

I will try thanks but could I upgrade the bios after the installation of Ubuntu or I'll must keep this 0027 Bios ?

linuxium
New Contributor III

It depends on what the problem is and what your requirements are. For now I'm just trying to rule out a BIOS version issue and possibly a Rufus issue.

If you don't want upgrade the BIOS then write the ISO to the USB using 'dd' on a Linux device first to rule out any Rufus issues.

Also ask Intel whether your warranty will be affected in downgrading BIOS to version 0027.

Note that installing any OS other than the supported ones as defined by Intel for your device will affect your warranty.

idata
Community Manager

If you install another operating system than the pre-installed will void the warranty. Intel will cover the Intel® Compute stick with the factory settings.

BIOS downgrade does not cause problems to the warranty.

Allan.
idata
Community Manager

Sincerely I don't care of the warranty, my stick is over one year old. I'm about flashing... I will tell you ;-)

idata
Community Manager

It's okay Ubuntu is finally installing !! thank you !

idata
Community Manager

Excellent, I hope you enjoy Ubuntu on the Intel® Compute stick.

Allan.
linuxium
New Contributor III

Good to hear.

I have also updated the BIOS on my STCK1A32WFC to version 0032 and found I had no problems both booting Ubuntu from USB or using Ubuntu once installed. So you should be able to now upgrade your BIOS back to version 0032 without issue.

idata
Community Manager

Hi,

I tried to install the last bios 0032 with a single ubuntu boot but the stick doesn't boot, I had to install 0027 bios version. :-(

linuxium
New Contributor III

Please can you clarify what works and what doesn't work.

My understanding was that with BIOS version 0032 you could not boot an Ubuntu USB, is that right?

You then installed BIOS version 0027 and you could boot the Ubuntu USB and you installed Ubuntu?

Did you then upgrade the BIOS to version 0032 and the installed Ubuntu no longer boots?

idata
Community Manager

I installed ubuntu under 0027 BIOS (all OK) and after I tried flash the bios with 0032 version and the stick didn't boot (black screen) until I reinstall 0027 version bios and now my stick boots on the Ubuntu installed. It's really strange that we can not have by Intel an universal bios version which boots on all Linux versions...

linuxium
New Contributor III

Thank you for the information.

Both BIOS versions work on my stick so please can you confirm what Ubuntu ISO you installed (including the download URL you used) so I can try on my stick?

idata
Community Manager

These are the two versions that I installed :

https://goo.gl/QXyWQ2 ubuntu-16.04.1-desktop-linuxium.iso - Google Drive

And the second that I keep it until now :

https://goo.gl/KZtiOC xubuntu-16.04.1-desktop-linuxium.iso - Google Drive

Both seem don't support the flash 0032 update (no boot).