cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
idata
Community Manager

No video signal on any monitor

Hello,

My Compute Stick doesn't display anything on the screen on any monitor. It doesn't transmit any video signal, but it powers on with a fixed blue light, while the fan doesn't move. I can't even see the bootloader. What can i do? thanks.

0 Kudos
24 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Do the following:

1. Hold down the power button until the blue light goes off.
  2. Release the button and then wait for a few seconds.
  3. Hold the power button for 3 seconds (try to be exact) and then release it.

This should get you to the recovery menu. You should see the Intel Compute Stick logo and a Bluetooth Pairing spinner. Wait and you will eventually see the recovery menu displayed.

1. Press F2 to enter BIOS Setup.
  2. Press F9 to have the BIOS configuration set to defaults.
  3. Press F10 to save the configuration and exit BIOS Setup.

You should now see the ICS perform a normal Windows boot. If you then do a normal shutdown, you should be able to do a normal power on afterwards.

If it doesn't go exactly as I have described, more remedial action may be necessary. Let us know what does (and doesn't) happen...

...S

idata
Community Manager

Thank you for the answer.

Nothing appears on the screen. There is no video signal.
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

If you are still in warranty, I would be contacting Intel Customer Support regarding an RMA replacement...

BNatt
Beginner

I am having this same problem after a Windows 10 update that occurred today. No idea what the update was as the system was DOA after the upgrade. Tried holding the power supply button but the power light never goes off. If I unplug the power supply the light goes off but same behavior when plugged back in. Product code: BOXSTK1AW32SC. Any other ideas for how to recover? Thanks.

Bruce

ERadz
Beginner

I am experiencing the exact same problem. Anyone found a fix for this yet?

DBabo2
Beginner

I just logged a case for this exact same issue.

Anyone got a fix for this?

idata
Community Manager

Hello all,

I recommend doing a BIOS recovery, see here for the instructions http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/intel-compute-stick/000005902.html BIOS Recovery Instructions for Intel® Compute Stick, and here for the BIOS file; https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/91065/Intel-Compute-Stick-STK1AW32SC Downloads for Intel® Compute Stick STK1AW32SC. You can use the Online No Boot Wizard for more reference; http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/wizards/Compute_Stick/ No Boot Troubleshooting Wizard.

Let me know how that goes.

Regards,

Amy.

DBabo2
Beginner

Hi Amy

thanks for the reply. I have seen this BIOS recovery being mentioned alot from online support self help. But the problem here is that , since there is no display output to tell whether or not the BIOS recovery as been initiated or not.

To be clear, the blue light remains on constantly, and no display is shown on different screens, so how do we troubleshoot without display?

idata
Community Manager

Hello all;

To dudecompute;

• Are you using the power adapter included with the Intel® Compute Stick?
  • Have you tried using a different power adapter?
  • Are you connecting the Intel® Compute Stick with the HDMI extender?

Erchicago85, did you contact our support for the RMA?

Regards,

Amy.

DBabo2
Beginner

Hi Amy

• Are you using the power adapter included with the Intel® Compute Stick? - Yes I am
  • Have you tried using a different power adapter? - I used a portable battery with sufficient 3A , same issue
  • Are you connecting the Intel® Compute Stick with the HDMI extender? - Yes i tried, connecting with extender and directly, to two different devices.

FYI , i purchased this stick about a month or less ago. This is really disappointing.

idata
Community Manager

/thread/109289 dudecompute, I apologize for the inconvenience. At this stage the next step is to replace the unit, if you bought the unit in less the 30 days your warranty should be processed by your place of purchase since this is the faster interaction for you. If that is not the case we can help to process the warranty for your unit.

Regards,

Amy.

idata
Community Manager

Hello all,

I just wanted to check the status of all of your warranty requests, and let you know that if you need further assistance just let us know.

Regards,

Amy.

idata
Community Manager

Please see a related thread:

DBabo2
Beginner

Hi All, its been a while, but I have now gotten a chance to provide an update.

The stick was replaced by Intel and was delivered and is working successfully.

Here are some pointers and tips from my experience.

To start off, the problem seems to be related to thermal cooling, and the ability of the fan to have its allowed period of time to cool the system when the OS has been shutdown. Even when the OS is shutdown and the blue light goes off, the fan remains on , even accelerates to cool down the cpu and perhaps the gpu. The hotter the stick, the longer the fan remains on. -Advice : when you shutdown your OS leave the system plugged into the usb power, i would advise listening until the fan cuts off then unplug. I recall from my original stick, that it was heavily used , and once the os shuts down, naturally we just unplug the power.

I think there is some BIOS related thermal threshold that is not updated once that fan does not get his chance .

HDMI output :

Depending on on your usage, the hdmi screen for whatever device you are using will get a signal once the stick gets power.

For usage whereby the hdmi screen comes on only when it receives a signal, once the stick gets usb power it come on for 2 seconds and comes off, but the hdmi screen will come on as well. You should wait for the screen to shut off then power on your stick. Even setting the BIOS to NOT automatically power up the stick once power is detected is a good idea.

BIOS

i updated the BIOS from a29 to the latest as of DEC, cannot recall if it is 30. This seem fine, but i started to noticed similar problem with powering on , blue light on, but no video signal. The notes for bios 30 shows its merely security updates, but it does update all firmware. Point is, i got more unpredictable behavior with regards to power on, especially reboots, and then getting no video. I rolled back to bios v29 and it seeming to behave better.

On an overall though, there has been instances where i thought the original issues happened once more. Sometimes I would get a blank screen and i will have to hold down power button to shutdown and retry.

With all said and done, I am very very contented with Intel support. Their assistance was really great even down to handling shipping queries etc.

i'm spent!

laterss

idata
Community Manager

dudecompute, thank you for sharing your all of this with the community. I am happy to hear you have replaced your unit.

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.

ERadz
Beginner

any update from intel on this issue? My compute stick died just a week after the warranty period...purchased in December 2015.

ERadz
Beginner

Hi Amy,

I reached out this afternoon. Thanks.

idata
Community Manager

/thread/109289 Erchicago85, thank you for letting me know that, hope that everything went fine with the process.

If you need further assistance let us know.

Regards,

Amy.

MPrie
Beginner

The same problem with 2 sticks from 7 we ordered, after working only 1 week, second only 1 day. One with blinking led, no video signal. Second with blue light constantly no fan , no video signal. Model STK1AW32SC. Really dissapointed. I see many of users has reported this problem, there is definitely some problem in intel sides. Don't understand how Intel can leave the same problems what was also for previous generation and sell these products.. More over we use these sticks for digital signage at museum (next week opens new exposition) and such fail. We have more 5 units and now are really anxious what to do as there is no time left. No BIOS recovery is possible as there is no video output at all with different cables, directly. All with original power adapters.

idata
Community Manager

MartinsP, thank you for input.

For us to further assist you and to help you with the specific problem, please create a new thread, make sure to add all the details in regard to your system. This way the next agent will have a better look at your specific scenario, you can add this thread as a reference but I recommend creating a new thread in order to isolate your case.

Regards,

Amy