Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RS_1
Beginner

Problems with USB 3.0 Port (always connect and disconnect)

Hi,

first of all - sorry for the bad english!

i have got a Problem with my compute stick (STK1AW32SC) - newest BIOS (0024) and newest Drivers, Windows 10 32 bit.

if i connect my external HDD (WD Elements 2,5" 1TB with USB 3.0 Support) to the USB 3.0 Port of the compute stick i hear the "device connected" Sound, after 1 oder 2 seconds i hear the Sound "device disconnected". This goes a many times and after that Windows Show me the error message " ... Problem with USB Device ..."

First i think the USB 3.0 Port from the Stick delivers to less power for the HDD but at the USB 2.0 Port the HDD runs fine!

And Intel write at the technical Information, that the 3.0 Port delivers MORE power than 2.0 Port.

So this is no power Problem.

If i connect a Kingston USB 3.0 Flash Drive (32GB) to the 3.0 Port auf the compute stick the same Problem (i have got with the HDD) apperas.

And again, at the 2.0 Port the Kingston Drive works fine.

So i think this is a USB 3.0 Driver/Controller Problem or a Hardware malfunction?!

greetings from germany

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
LThom12
Beginner

I have a similar issue to this but when plugged in to the USB 3 port it crashes the PC until the device is removed and put in the USB 2 one.

idata
Community Manager

Hi Shortyfilms,

I apologize for the time it takes; I suggest you install all windows updates; this is because the USB 3.0 controller is in your windows package.

Could you please send me a screenshot of your windows version?

Steps:
  • Right click on the windows flag
  • Click on (run)
  • Write (winver) and click OK
Please let me know the outcome.

Hi Biopure,

Could you please explain to me the scenario where you get this issue?

Regards,

Hellen.

RS_1
Beginner

Hi Hellen,

i'm sure that all windows updates are installed (win 10 tells me "no more updates found"). But now im on holiday, i will give you the information not later than calendar week 26.

thanks and greetings

idata
Community Manager

Hi Shortyfilms,

I will be waiting for the update.

Regards,

Hellen.

SHirs
Novice

I have the same Problem with my M5 compute stick. I connected a 32GB USB memory stick on one of the both USB Ports of the original Power adapter, Yes. I used the original cable, the cable is plugged correctly and sit tight, randomly the USB memory stick disappears (like taken out of the port) and it only comes back if I replug the USB memory stick manually.

The USB Port on the Compute Stick itself has the same behaviour., but when I plug in my externally powered 7 port USB 2.0 Hub in the Compute Stick (with 4 USB devices plugged in) - all works okay, have not tested it with a USB 3.0 Hub yet. Maybe the Power adapter is too weak to handle a simple USB memory stick ?!?

greetings,

Sebastian

idata
Community Manager

Hi Naviara,

According to what I understand, It seems that the ports of your Intel® Compute Stick are fine, this situation looks more like incompatibility issue.

I suggest you, run Windows® updates, and install all the latest Drivers and the latest BIOS version.

Regards,

Hellen.

idata
Community Manager

Hi all,

I was checking this thread and I would like to know if there is any update regarding the information requested previously.

Regards,

Hellen.

RS_1
Beginner

Hi Helle,

as i have written, im on Variation But you will become the Information from me next weeK.

Thanks for waiting

idata
Community Manager

Hi Shortyfilms,

I'll be waiting for the update.

Regards,

Hellen.

RS_1
Beginner

Hi Hellen,

i have send my Compute Stick back to my reseller and bought the same Stick from another shop.

This news Stick now works perfect.

Seams that my first Compute Stick had a hardware failure.

Thanks for help.

EBrin
Beginner

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04, fully updated, and have exactly the same problem.

A SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 stick is mounted and unmounted on the USB 3.0 port irregular.

I'll try to use a bluetooth keyboard+mouse tomorrow to see if it is power-related.

UPDATE: Oops, in my case it may be related to the thumb drive itself:

UPDATE 2: A short USB-extension cable fixes the issue with dropping wifi AND unmounting USB drive.

(With this you should also wear a tin foil hat!)

idata
Community Manager

Hi all,

Shortyfilms, it is a pleasure, if there is something else you need, please let me know.

Thanks Tru, for the information.

Regards,

Hellen.