Gde_C1
Beginner

3 beeps after bios downgrade

Hey guys. I need some help. I'm running a

Intel dh61ww motherboard

Core i7 3770 3.4 ghz

8gb memory(4gb x2)

Geforce gt 420

I've had this setup for more than a year now.

I've noticed that my bios version is 38 and wanted to update it to the latest 120. But everytime I've tried updating it to 48, it fails. I've read somewhere that there was a problem with ver 38 so I've tried downgrading it to 35 first before upgrading to 48 so as to bypass 38. But after downgrading. My pc won't boot. There were 3 beeps,no led lights and no signal to the monitor. I've tried removing the cmos battery, I've tried cleaning then inserting and reinserting my RAM one at a time in different socket combinations. I've tried removing my videocard. I've tried unplugging and replugging the cables connected to my mobo. I've tried removing the bios jumper. I've tried using a flash drive bios recovery of version 35. But still the problem persists.

Is there still a way to fix my computer? Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
IUman
Honored Contributor II

Hello G0DHAND,

Thank you for joining the Intel communities.

In this case, I strongly recommend trying with a BIOS recovery to the https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22174/BIOS-Update-BEH6110H-86A- version 0048; you can follow the steps here:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-023360.htm Desktop Boards — Instructions for Recovery BIOS Update

Before doing the BIOS recovery, please disconnect every component from your system, RAM, hard drive, video card, power supply and remove the battery from your motherboard for at least 45 minutes to an hour.

If the BIOS recovery is done successfully, please download the BIOS https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/22415/BIOS-Update-BEH6110H-86A- version 0109 and update to that version with a bios recovery method as well. Continue to the latest version with the BIOS recovery method.

Regards!

Ivan

Gde_C1
Beginner

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately. After doing all that, the problem still persists.

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Is the recovery process actually completing successfully? That is, do you see the display of the various phases of the process completing and the prompt at the end telling you to power down and restore the jumper?

Gde_C1
Beginner

Nope. There's no signal to the monitor and there's a series of 3 beeps then pause then 3 beeps again. I've read that it might have something to do with my RAM. Although I was using these same pair of RAM before my BIOS downgrade.

IUman
Honored Contributor II

Usually three beeps means Memory error, have you tried one RAM at a time on each of the slots?

You can check the beep codes here:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/000005473.html?wapkw=beep+codes BIOS Beep Codes for Boards and Kits

Gde_C1
Beginner

Yup. I've tried placing my RAM one at a time in different slot combinations. Still the problem persists. I haven't tried using another RAM since I have no spare nor have I tried inserting my RAM to other motherboard so I can't really check if it was RAM which is defective.

CDeCa
Beginner

Three beeps also indicates a video card problem.

it's rare but possible

1) power off and remove the power chord then hold down the power button 30 seconds

2) remove your video card and reset your BIOS by removing the battery for 15 - 30 minutes

3) put back the battery and the video card close the pc case and power chord and start your computer

if after all that you still have the 3 beeps

then is definitely the memory ram

in that case you have no choice but to buy new memory ram

also be aware that when you removing and installing the memory ram

you should remove the video card first or you may potentially have problems

Gde_C1
Beginner

I'vr tried that yet still the problem persists. I've bought a new mobo and ita working fine, even the RAM, I was hoping I could fix my old mobo so that I can be used as spare...Thanks for the replies.