Intel® Desktop Boards
Peer-to-peer support only
Announcements
Welcome to the Intel Community. If you get an answer you like, please mark it as an Accepted Solution to help others. Thank you!
11358 Discussions

After regular shutdown win 10 - Intel 82579LM - This device cannot start. (Code 10). How fix

HHung21
Beginner

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LeonWaksman
Super User
  1. Download the relevant version (i.e. 64 bit or 32 bit) of the Intel Network Driver Version: 25.0 .
  2. Uninstall the currently installed Network Driver, reboot your computer and install the previously downloaded driver.

Leon

Viking
Beginner

This issue remains unsolved on certain laptops equipped with onboard 82579LM running Windows 10 21H1 and/or Windows 11  21H2.

The driver advised by @LeonWaksman does not work as this is incompatible with the 82579LM Gigabit chip.

In fact, this does not seem to be a driver issue. I have tried using all available drivers both from HP and Lenovo. During cold boot, the 82579LM fails to initiate and the driver produce a code 10 error. 
Simply restarting the PC solves the issue intermittently - irrespectively of which driver version is installed. Cold boot produces the error again.  It can also be solved intermittently by re-installing the existing driver again.  However, having to do this manually at at every cold boot, is quite cumbersome. Restart never produce the error.

The problem is not related to a single specific PC but has been observed across several different HP models equipped with the 82579LM.

Some forum members indicate that the problem could be solved by disabling Windows fast-start, but that is not the case.

This issue became apparent after Windows 10 update to 20H1. Earlier versions of Windows did not suffer from this issue.

I suspect this has to do with something MS did to speed up Windows boot time.