Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Manager

Any information about BIOS password for DQ77MK boards?

Jump to solution

I am assigned the task of changing the BIOS password of a DQ77MK board from Windows. Is there anyway to achieve that? I will also appreciate any information about where the password is stored (CMOS, TPM, NVRAM, EEPROM?), what hashing algorithm is used, and whether it can be read or altered after the BIOS firmware loads the operating system. If it's not possible, can someone explain why, or hopefully link me to an official document by Intel?

If this is any relevant, the BIOS/UEFI firmware vendor is also Intel.

I appreciate all relevant information, even if it doesn't completely solve my problem, which is again, changing the BIOS password for the said motherboard from Windows. Suggested solutions that involve programming are also welcome.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Mohammad,

This simply cannot be done. It would be a security violation. Passwords are encrypted and cannot be changed by any entity other than the BIOS itself. Clearing passwords requires physical presence, which can never be achieved from software. There is no mechanism for reading the passwords once an O/S is loaded.

The requirements for secure password implementation are full documented in the UEFI specifications. I welcome you to read these at you leisure...

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

Mohammad,

This simply cannot be done. It would be a security violation. Passwords are encrypted and cannot be changed by any entity other than the BIOS itself. Clearing passwords requires physical presence, which can never be achieved from software. There is no mechanism for reading the passwords once an O/S is loaded.

The requirements for secure password implementation are full documented in the UEFI specifications. I welcome you to read these at you leisure...

...S

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Good information from Scott.

Please check this link for http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005690.html Clearing BIOS Passwords on Desktop Boards

Allan.
0 Kudos