Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ABast4
Beginner

Any information about resetting Intel Extreme Board D77RE-75K?

I got a second handed motherboard, at first it asked me for a password but i pressed enter and everything was okay, so i entered maintance mode and used it to clear passwords, however, when i restarted the motherboard kept asking me for a password and when I tried to press enter it says "Enter password to unlock system", I don't know what to do, a friend has the same board and he did the same and it worked for him. I asked the vendor and he sent me a video to reset password, but i already did that and now I can't do anything, even I updated BIOS and it won't let me access neither BIOS or operating system.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Try clearing CMOS and then install (or reinstall, as the case may be) the latest BIOS using the BIOS Recovery process.

Regarding the BIOS Recovery process, note these expanded requirements:

1. U​se USB 2.0 flash drive. Do not use USB 3.0 flash drives.
  2. On a Windows-based PC (NOT Linux and NOT MACOS), use standard Format app​ to reformat the flash drive using the FAT32 file system (and ONLY the FAT32 file system) and with the Quick Format option disabled. If Format app doesn't offer FAT32 as a choice, this means flash drive is too big; get a smaller one.
  3. Place .BIO file (and ONLY .BIO file) onto flash drive.
  4. Insert flash drive in black USB 2.0 port on the back panel of the board. Do not use Blue USB 3.0 or Yellow​ USB Charging ports. Do not use any front panel USB ports.

Hope this helps,

...S​

ABast4
Beginner

I already upgraded bios yesterday before posting this, now I want to reflash it with the recovery mode and USB goes undetected, the led in the USB blinks but never access to the .bio file.

n_scott_pearson

Yes, that's exactly what I am telling you to do. Reinstalling the BIOS using the Recovery Method ensures that every firmware and data segment in the firmware hub (flash) is rewritten (something that does not happen using the EBU, F7 or iFlash methods).

Did you follow all of my instructions above to the letter? Did you actually do the reformat of your USB flash stick? From my standpoint and looking at what you've said, it doesn't sound like you followed all of these instructions. What flash stick are you using? How long did the reformat operation take?

...S

ABast4
Beginner

Yes as long as i know. Formatted with FAT32 filesystem, quick format unchecked and only .bio in it, i tried with two USB, one of them was Kingston data traveler and the other Verbatim Store N go (one at once). Formatting took like around 10 minutes. Motherboard with recovery mode only posted and showed splash screen and then showed an alert "Chassis intrusion" and rebooted. By the way, little led segment display showed 04, 31 and other numbers i don't remember. As I know, motherboard shouldn't have do that, I cleared passwords with maintance mode but it's still asking for one. Thanks for your answer.

n_scott_pearson

Ugh! I hate to say it, but Password Lock and Chassis Intrusion is a nasty, usually unrecoverable combination of issues. You can't clear the CI without being past the password issue and you cannot clear the password issue without being past the BIOS Recovery and BIOS Recovery won't start with the CI outstanding.

Only thing I can suggest is to power off completely (including disconnecting A/C), remove the BIOS Configuration jumper (as you would for BIOS Recovery) and then unplug the CR3032 battery for at least 15 minutes. Restore the Battery, plug in the USB flash drive, cross your fingers, reconnect A/C and power on. If you are lucky, you can get the BIOS Recovery started without the CI rearing its ugly head.

...S