Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Novice

At 90 I have a lot of equipment locked into the arena of Windows 2000 and XP and mu or 10 and I cannot find ( perhaps they do not exist ) any upgrades. So I have dug out from my old stock an Intel Desktop -01 motherboard and built a reserve computer to r

At 90 I have a lot of equipment locked into the arena of Windows 2000 and XP and much will not work on Windows 10 and many did not work on Windows 7, so I have dug out an old Intel Desktop-01 motherboard and built a reserve computer. However I cannot find the drivers and software for this board so can anybody help with a CD or know where to find the drivers etc.

Message was edited by: Lee Tracey This blog is software corrupted as it refuses to allow me to reply to Al Hill by saying I do not have permission to reply to this blog

40 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

There is no support for this "old equipment". Your best approach, in my opinion, is to take it to the salvage yard.

Also, you should remove your email address as soon as possible from your post, unless you want to be flooded with spam.

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

First delete your email address from your post.

There are multiple problems with old hardware. If a PC does not have at least 1 GB of RAM, even running Linux will be challenging. I suspect your old systems only accommodate IDE drives, so you cannot use SSDs for the most part. Try to install Linux -- I recommend Debian (debian.org) with the LXDE desktop -- as a test. You don't have to worry about drivers because a major distribution like Debian will probably support it. I'll bet your processors are 32-bit only, so choose a 32-bit download. If Debian won't run, recycle your old equipment. I have Debian LXDE installed on a USB flash drive and only 5 GB is used; around 230 MB of memory is used at idle, but that increases with added applications.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Test reply as previous have been refused on grounds that I do not have permission to reply to this blog - even though I started it

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Try Again:

Hi Al:

Many thanks for your comments and time to respond. Actually I have so much "old" equipment that I am currently sorting it and so far have over 400 items identified and cleaned and serviced and boxed and perhaps another 400 to go before I start listing and trying to dispose of them. This particular Intel Desktop motherboard was in a major complete PC housing as a DVR and had two 2TB Sata hard drives and bags of RAM. It also had a QVIS DVR board and a Stretch 16 channel DVR board so was a powerful system - why I had it and what I used it for in DVR recording I cannot remember, it is just one of some 12 old DVR's in my "junk" box. The original operating system would have been either QVIS or Stretch but no Windows system. I tried to load XP and that failed: I tried to load Windows 7 and that failed so I guessed that it was the software and drivers for the Desktop motherboard that was missing and probably in the old Stretch software. And that's where I was stopped. I am an old fashioned hardware design engineer and have never really grasped the software age so I struggle as soon as software is involved. In electronics I have a B.Sc honours degree but around computers and software a 13 year daughter of a friend of mine thinks I am thicker than six planks of wood. To give you an example of what I am trying to do: I have a Veho electronic microscope ( out of the junk box ) and the CD will not read on my Windows 7 PC or on my Windows 10 PC. I finally discovered from Veho that it will not work above XP and that there is no software upgrade above XP.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

I broke my habit of collecting old hardware after watching a "Hoarders" marathon one weekend. It was much easier to focus on vintage autos and audio equipment. Those still have value and function.

My recommendation is still to find a good salvage yard.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Hi Al again:

Here is the balance of my orignal reply, unfortunately the Intel blog could not cope with my verbosity.

Before passing the microscope onto somebody else or a young student I need to make sure it is working or if not then repaired but to do that I need a fully operational XP loaded computer. In my simple mind that means I need the software and drivers for the Intel Desktop-01 motherboard. I have been through about a thousand old CD's I have dug out but so far no luck so I probably never ever had the CD but somebody else loaded the QVIS and Stretch software, and in consequence also the Intel Desktop software. While searching for the right CD I found a virgin set of Gennum Reference Design Kit and a pack of Gennum GV7600 IC's at a total cost of $2018 plus shipping plus duty plus VAT.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

I forgot to add another option: Become a seller on that auction site, and make the hardware a problem for someone else, and use the profits for a lager and lime (or two).

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

"had two 2TB Sata hard drives"

Now that changes things. If it had IDE drives, the amount of potential improvement would be very limited, but since it has SATA drives, you could use an SSD to speed it up. The motherboard is probably only SATA I, but an SSD would allow you to max it out. If it had SATA II, you'd really be in good shape.

What's the model number of the motherboard? You need to know the maximum memory it can handle.

Used processors of 45 nm and larger lithography are dirt-cheap on Amazon Marketplace. The motherboard model number will lead you to a list of supported processors.

All that said, I agree with Al Hill. The majority of your equipment should be taken to a recycler. I've tried to sell old PC equipment. I earned little and it took a long time to sell.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello:

Thank you very much to all the peers on this thread for all the feedback provided.

In order for us to look if we still have drivers for your Intel® motherboard, we need the model of it, so we can look for them at our download site to try to find them:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/ https://downloadcenter.intel.com/

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Many thanks for the willingness to help. I have finally decoded what the identity is of the motherboard. Apart from the DESKTOP-01 I found the following:

E210882 - D33025 - DH77EB - 21-66 - 01 and VC1 plus a barcode giving me G39073-304, the idents were all in sub-tiny print like a barcode. Eventually by tracing the barcode through the Intel site I discovered that the actual identity of the motherboard was the DH77EB number. The processor is an Intel Core 3-2128. Although I can't remember much about this DVR the fact that it was used for the STRETCH 16 channel video recorder board suggests that the Desktop motherboard was one of the best of its day so it would be a shame to lose it altogether, especially as I want it to run XP for me so that I can access hundreds of circuit designs of my younger days and pass them one to a local college, with instructions. I also, in my youth, stored vast amounts of technical know-how on Imation SUPER Disk Drives so translating those is my next task. I do agree that trying to sell old gear is a nightmare but I have over a $100,000 at original cost to dispose of and I have already filled a 3 X 3 X 3 foot cardboard box with "hopeless" products but others, such as the Canopus Twin Pack 100 plus software plus Edius LE software plus Edius 2.5 software plus Acid software plus ADVC 300 software is still very much employed today by all UK intelligence services and still costs over $2.000 to buy new. I also have, almost virgin, Gennum CV 6700 hardware development kit and software, also over $2,000 - plus some 600 other items so I am reluctant to throw it all in the rubbish bin. Having retired at 90 I no longer earn any money and live on my old age pension. All my savings vanished paying nursing home fees for my late wife for 12 years while she suffered from alzheimers - so I will still work on to try to turn some of it back to cash. Apart from the petty cash interest it also gives me a purpose to work on every day and a reason to get out of bed. All technical help is much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

I am still having trouble responding to this blog as I have to try many times to get listed - so often the message is that I do not authority to reply to this blog but after about five or six tries I do get through

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Your motherboard is http://ark.intel.com/products/59505/Intel-Desktop-Board-DH77EB Intel® Desktop Board DH77EB Specifications

This board is worth salvaging for use as a "reserve computer" as you originally suggested. It is not current, but it is also not that old.

You can find driver and bios downloads for this board here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/59505/Intel-Desktop-Board-DH77EB Drivers & Software

If you were to install Windows 7, 8x, or 10 on this board, you should have no problems.

Are you sure about the processor model number? Here is a list of supported processors for your board: http://processormatch.intel.com/Processors/CompatibleProcessors?componentName=dh77eb Compatible Processors

This board, with a couple of 2tb drives and reasonable processor, would make (in my opinion) a nice reserve system.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

"The processor is an Intel Core 3-2128"

There is no such thing. Did you misread the digits? Look at this link: http://ark.intel.com/products/family/59133/2nd-Generation-Intel-Core-i3-Processors# @Desktop 2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i3 Processors

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

This is a first; I find an error in Al Hill's post.

If he does indeed have a 2nd Generation Core (Sandy Bridge) processor, there are no W-10 graphics drivers for it. Microsoft will supply one, but I can say from experience that it will have quirks. Of course he could always use a graphics card to solve the problem. Or he could buy a used 3rd Generation Core (Ivy Bridge) processor from Amazon Marketplace for which graphics drivers can be obtained at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25188/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10-15-33- Download Intel® Graphics Driver for Windows® 10 [15.33]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Nice try, I was waiting for verification of the processor before my recommendation of using an add-on card.

But, thanks for keeping an eye on me.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor I

I couldn't resist. :-)

I realize that you know this stuff backward and forward, but the way you wrote your comment implied that a system with an Intel board and Sandy Bridge processor could run W-10. Waggoman might have been confused by that. I wanted to explicitly add that he would need a video card or upgrade to Ivy Bridge. I'm currently doing that for a number of PCs. Many people are confused by Intel's lack of graphics support for processors earlier than Ivy Bridge, especially when Intel marketing stated in January 2016, almost breathlessly: "You might be resisting [migrating to Windows 10] because you're worried Windows 10 won't work with older computers. But rest easy, it's backwards compatible, meaning it's designed to work with older and newer computers alike. Upgrading your hardware can be expensive, so start with a free operating system update." Though Intel finally deleted that blog post, probably out of embarrassment. But I kept a copy of it (see attachment).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User

Thanks for the attachment. I am glad you captured that.

Doc

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Manager

Hello Waggoman:

According to the information in our web site, the Intel® DH77EB board is not fully compatible with Windows® 10, that is the reason why there are no drivers for this board available in our web site:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/59505/Intel-Desktop-Board-DH77EB https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/59505/Intel-Desktop-Board-DH77EB

The board supports Windows® Vista, 7, 8, or 8.1, on the following link you will be able to confirm that information:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/59505/Intel-Desktop-Board-DH77EB https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/59505/Intel-Desktop-Board-DH77EB

Any questions, please let me know.

Alberto

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Novice

Alberto:

Many thanks for the help. Unfortunately my basic area of information requirement seems to have gone awry. My purpose is to revive the DVR that holds this motherboard into a PC running Windows XP, it has 4TB of SATA and 6GB of KHX1600C9D3K3/6GX Hyper Genesis SDRAM plus three plug-in daughter boards and other facilities, so it is an attractive animal. Why XP?

I am now 90 and a former electronic product R&D engineer living on my own in a three bedroom by two garage bungalow with no room for the car and just one bed squeezed into a corner of one room and hardly a chair to sit on' I am now in the process of reverting it back into a home but to do this I have to get rid of all the mass of equipment and relics. Practically all the major test gear is old analogue so that lot is museum fodder, but other items such as the Canopus hardware and software is still current at over $10,000 so perhaps I can sell that plus Gennum evaluation rigs and Ambarella evaluation rigs etc. Much more will be hard to sell so I will donate it to a local electronic college. However so much of it is XP and will not run on my Windows 7 rig or my Windows 10 rig so I need to revive an XP rig in order to test and, if necessary, repair any hardware and get it running on at least XP and perhaps 7 before passing it on to students. So while it may seem crazy to want to revert to XP there is a method to my madness.

But - before I can load the old XP operating system I need to set up the Intel board again with the drivers and software to run on XP, the previous drivers and software were contained within the operating software of the STRETCH 16 channel DVR, and that I destroyed when I wiped the 4 TB. Or I have done something daft as I cannot load XP. In addition I have over 200 Imation SUPER discs and the one remaining SUPER drive also wants 2000 or XP so I could then convert a mass of technical knowledge and circuits and Gerbers to a more modern ( and not obsolete ) media and pass that on to students.

Any help is greatly appreciated Alberto.

Lee Tracey

0 Kudos