Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AStac
Beginner

Avast is telling me I need to update my chipset driver but device manager does not. Where can I find version 14.8.16.1016 on the downloads page?

Avast is telling me I need to update my chipset driver but device manager does not. I'm having trouble finding the driver, i currently have intel 8 series/c220 chipset version 12.8.0.1016 and I need to find 14.8.16.1063. I have searched in the downloads page but none of the results show version 14.8.16.1063, the search engine seems alittle obscure and I dont know what to download please help. Thank you.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AlHill
Super User

Tell us your processor model number, your motherboard model number, OS version and build number. TYPICALLY, you get the chipset inf/install from your motherboard manufacturer, but let us see what we can do.

And, do not listen to avast.

Doc

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

I have no idea where you came up with those numbers. Are you sure you are referring to the Chipset Device Software package?

Are you perhaps referring to the Intel Rapid Storage (RST) drivers? There, I found a version numbered v12.8.0.1016 for 8 Series boards and chipsets utilizing Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/23488/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-RAID-for-Intel-7-and-.... I also found a version numbered v14.8.16.1063, which you can download here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/27446/Intel-Rapid-Storage-Technology-RAID-for-Intel-NUC-Ki....

Hope this helps,

...S

AlHill
Super User

See, I told you to not listen to avast.<G>

Doc

AStac
Beginner

Hi sorry should have done that right off the bat. Here's the specs.Capture.PNG

AStac
Beginner

I have also had microsoft help forums tell me the same thing about the chipset.

AStac
Beginner

avast gave me that weird version number though, I believed it because microsoft told me to update aswell, but I'm uncertain what I need to download.

n_scott_pearson

You are not using Optane caching, as it's not supported on 8 Series boards. The big question is: Are you using RAID?

If you are not using RAID, then you should simply uninstall the Intel Rapid Storage (RST) package. In this case, it's doing absolutely nothing for you and doesn't need to be there. It would be best if you also turn RST off in the BIOS (by resetting the SATA Mode to AHCI), but understand that this would also require you to reinstall Windows (which you likely don't want to do).

If you are using RAID, on the other hand, then you could try upgrading to the 14.8.16.1063 release. If it won't install (there's a chance the package was customized specifically for the 5th gen Intel NUC products), then no harm, no foul. If it does install, it shouldn't harm the existing RAID arrays (hopefully those aren't famous last words) and (who knows?) it may even offer improvements.

Hope this helps,

...S

n_scott_pearson

Oh, one more thing - With regards to the Chipset Device Software packages, understand that they do not install any drivers. Instead, what they do is install .INF (Configuration Info) files that will accomplish two things: First, they will optimally configure drivers built into windows (but originally supplied by Intel) to support the Intel chipset devices. Second, they provide nice strings that more-properly describe these devices.

...S

AStac
Beginner

As far as I can tell I am not using raid, disk says basic. But the real reason for me doing all this is to resolve some weird mouse lag when highlighting icons, could the RST package be causing this? I have no problem reinstalling windows I've done it maybe 5 times to try and resolve this month lol.

So are you saying that chipset devices dont install drivers? or that this specific package is not a driver? Thanks again and let me know if I should perhaps start a new thread on these topics.

AStac
Beginner

Heres the dsk mngmt.

Capture2.PNG

disk drive is asus drw-24f1st.

n_scott_pearson

If, in the BIOS, you have the SATA Mode configured for RAID, I recommend changing it back to AHCI and reinstalling Windows. [Aside: there's a trick you can use that will allow you to keep booting the same image after this change, but I don't recommend using it; reinstall cleanly.]

The mouse lag is the result of issues in the graphics drivers, not anything to do with RST.

...S