cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DHall18
Beginner

BIOS Upgrade for Intel DZ77BH-55K

Jump to solution

I've read so many forums where people end up bricking their motherboard after updating the bios to the latest one available. For example, 3 beeps, stuck on one code, etc.

I was hoping if there was a safer/better option of updating the bios without bricking the motherboard. The current version of the bios on the motherboard is BHZ7710H.86A.0057.2012.0208.1904, the latest one is BHZ7710H.86A.0100.2013.0517.0942.

Any advice would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Yea, most of the time, these bricks are completely avoidable. If only the idiots would actually read the BIOS Release Notes before attempting to do anything... (sigh!)

My guidance would normally be that you need to upgrade the BIOS is stages. This ensures that major changes in Management Engine firmware, Option ROM firmware, etc. are all handled separately. This would mean installing BIOSs 70, 83, 91, 94 and then 100. But, because these BIOS releases are no longer available, you need to install BIOS 100 using the BIOS Recovery method.

The BIOS Recovery method is documented here: Intel Desktop Boards Recovery BIOS Update Instructions. Here are my additions to these instructions:

1. Use USB 2.0 flash drive. Do not use USB 3.0 flash drives!
  2. On a Windows-based PC (NOT a PC running Linux or MACOS!), use the standard Windows Format dialog​ to reformat the flash drive using the FAT32 file system (and ONLY the FAT32 file system!) and with the Quick Format option disabled (very important!). If the Windows Format dialog doesn't offer FAT32 as a choice, this means the flash drive that you are attempting to use is too big; get a smaller one.
  3. Download and copy file BH0100.BIO onto this flash drive. No other .BIO files should be present on this drive!
  4. Properly eject the flash drive to ensure writing is complete.
  5. Insert this flash drive into one of the black USB 2.0 port on the back panel of the board. Do not use blue USB 3.0 or yellow​ USB Charging ports. Do not use front panel USB ports.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AlHill
Super User

There have been a massive amount of fixes since 0057, especially with 0083 and 0070.

I see no restrictions in the release notes or any dependencies.

@n.scott.pearson​  may be able to help.

Please wait for a reply.

Doc

n_scott_pearson
Super User Retired Employee

Yea, most of the time, these bricks are completely avoidable. If only the idiots would actually read the BIOS Release Notes before attempting to do anything... (sigh!)

My guidance would normally be that you need to upgrade the BIOS is stages. This ensures that major changes in Management Engine firmware, Option ROM firmware, etc. are all handled separately. This would mean installing BIOSs 70, 83, 91, 94 and then 100. But, because these BIOS releases are no longer available, you need to install BIOS 100 using the BIOS Recovery method.

The BIOS Recovery method is documented here: Intel Desktop Boards Recovery BIOS Update Instructions. Here are my additions to these instructions:

1. Use USB 2.0 flash drive. Do not use USB 3.0 flash drives!
  2. On a Windows-based PC (NOT a PC running Linux or MACOS!), use the standard Windows Format dialog​ to reformat the flash drive using the FAT32 file system (and ONLY the FAT32 file system!) and with the Quick Format option disabled (very important!). If the Windows Format dialog doesn't offer FAT32 as a choice, this means the flash drive that you are attempting to use is too big; get a smaller one.
  3. Download and copy file BH0100.BIO onto this flash drive. No other .BIO files should be present on this drive!
  4. Properly eject the flash drive to ensure writing is complete.
  5. Insert this flash drive into one of the black USB 2.0 port on the back panel of the board. Do not use blue USB 3.0 or yellow​ USB Charging ports. Do not use front panel USB ports.

Hope this helps,

...S

View solution in original post

DHall18
Beginner

Thanks so much! Ill try this method as soon as I get my PC back.