cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

BOXDZ77GA-70K wont boot or beep

All,

My motherboard wont boot up or beep, error code on my led is showing 04. i've unplugged everything and replugged it all in and still nothing.

Current setup for my pc is

600watt psu

960 gtx

multiple hdds, but i've unplugged all except one the primary SSD/HDD

unplugged all usb connections.

unplugged all case fans.

From what i can gather, mobo still works because when i removed ram it beeped stating no memory installed.

would removing the battery off the mobo be an option?

or flashing bios, i've never done it before.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

These are Power-On Self-Test (POST) codes, not error codes. While a few codes are reserved to indicate that specific types of errors have occurred, the majority of the POST codes simply indicate that the BIOS has reached a certain point in its initialization and testing processes. POST Codes 0x00 - 0x0F are reserved for use as interim progress indicators within individual drivers/processes in the BIOS. Thus, seeing POST Code 0x04 by itself doesn't really tell us anything. If you can write down the sequence of POST codes you see occurring prior to this (final) code, it would help us narrow it down...

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

a bunch of numbers flash by quick but,

the number 31 appears and is solid for a few seconds, and then it goes back to 04.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

This means the board is unhappy with the memory. It cannot initialize it.

...S

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

suggestion towards fixing this problem?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

You might have to replace the memory you are using...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

replaced ram sticks and still nada.

the led lights up as follows

31- for about 10 seconds.

cycles through a bunch of numbers

power cycles down and stays off for awhile and then power cycles on again

all the fans spin, no beep, nada.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello, tk1134:

I would like to know, did you double check that the memory used does comply with the supported memory in the motherboard and your CPU?

Page 22 of this PDF has the information related to the Motherboard: https://downloadmirror.intel.com/20956/eng/DZ77GA-70K_TechProdSpec04.pdf https://downloadmirror.intel.com/20956/eng/DZ77GA-70K_TechProdSpec04.pdf

You could check the processor's supported RAM by looking for the model you have here: http://ark.intel.com/ ARK | Your Source for Intel® Product Specifications

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Yes, seeing POST code 20 last is an indication that it is getting stuck in Memory Configuration. The replacement RAM seems to have the same issue - it is (also) incompatible or something has failed on the board.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello:

For sure, testing the RAM in the different DIMM slots in your board would be a good troubleshooting step to follow.

I look forward to your outcome with this.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Beginner

I bought another set of ram and applied it to mobo, no success. I put the new ram sticks in every slot and combo, nothing worked. Retried old ram sticks to see if I got any other combos(led numbers). Maybe it was a bad set of ram sticks from microcenter wouldn't be the first time. Will return and swap out and try again.

Orginal stick cmx8gx3m2a1600c9 8gb

Replacement cmz8gx3m2a1600c9 16th

Do you think the mobo is fried?

I believe limited warranty is still covered as its only been one year from amazon purchase

0 Kudos
Highlighted

If you purchased it new, you have 3 year warranty. You need to contact ICS directly to request RMA...

...S

0 Kudos