Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aHall3
Beginner

BSOD installing Intel USB 3.0 drivers

I recently purchased a 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo for my desktop, for use as a system drive. I successfully installed Windows 7 x64, configured SATA mode and windows settings for the SSD, and went to install drivers (all current versions). After installing the Intel chipset driver, I attempted to install the USB 3.0 driver (included in the installation was the Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host driver and a few others). I immediately got a BSOD before the installation finished. It took a few tries to boot back up again, as I kept getting more BSODs on startup. Upon starting back up, my monitor resolution had jumped down a bit (but I could change it back), and the whole taskbar had disappeared. My desktop icons were present and working, and explorer.exe was running, but I could not get the taskbar to reappear, and the start menu and taskbar configuration settings would not open. At that point I just reinstalled windows, since I had no data on the drive yet.

After cloning the new installation, I attempted to install the drivers directly from the motherboard's installation disk, in case there were some issues with the new drivers, and the same BSOD issue continued to happen. So until I can figure this out, my USB 3.0 ports are running at USB 2.0 speeds. I never had this issue on my WD Caviar Black, though I haven't reinstalled Windows on it recently. Any help would be appreciated.

Motherboard is an ASrock B75M-DGS, CPU is an i5-3570k.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ZAgha
New Contributor II

If the computer was assembled earlier & you experienced the DSOB after the 840 evo then it might be the SSD. Are you sure you are only experiencing the BSOD ONLY when you install the USB 3.0 drivers??

Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi liltwix,

From our side we can provide the generic driver we have for your unit. You can download it at the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3467&DwnldID=21129&keyword=Intel+USB+... https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3467&DwnldID=21129&keyword=Intel+USB+...

As Ziad says, another good idea is to check the other devices you have in your system like the SSD. I recommend you checking with the computer manufacturer this information so they can provide their drivers for your system.

aHall3
Beginner

Thanks for your replies, but I figured out the problem. I updated my BIOS version, after which the installation of the driver was successful.

MOren1
Beginner

Hi Kevin_Intel,

I've injected both USB 3.0 drivers for Intel 8 and 7 and it's causing a blue screen on Dell 9020 (Intel 8 series) and Lenovo T430 (Intel 7 series).

Is there any driver from Intel for both?

Thank you...

Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Epichok, from our side we can provide the graphics driver but my best recommendation is to contact the Computer Manufacture so they can provide the drivers that have been specifically designed for your unit.

js10
Beginner

The series 7 and series 8 usb 3.0 drivers use the same device id ("IUSB3\ROOT_HUB30") for "Intel(R) USB 3.0 Root Hub". Preinstalling a series 8 driver on a series 7 system will cause a STOP 7E bluescreen when it plug and plays.

BBait
Beginner

This is what fixed my problem.. Lenovo desktop machine with USB 3.0 Extensible drivers blue screening all the time.

Series 7 drivers fixed the issue.. (The link for the Generic drivers above worked 2 weeks ago but doesn't anymore) I've had to do this a few times as I have about 50 of these machines with an image that isn't quite correct.

Bravo though.

Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Thank you for sharing this information here. I am sure it will be very helpful for other customers.

Kevin M