Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner

Built my desktop with D865GBF & Pentium 4, now want to replace with moderate priced new board/cpu - Thanks for any suggestions!

Desktop is in nice LIan Li black box & now I want to update to a new board and CPU for a moderate price. Need suggestions, Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Super User

Intel no longer makes desktop boards. You can visit any of the motherboard manufacturers (asus, evga, msi, etc.) and search their board products, or you can view some of their desktop offerings here: http://www.intel.com/buy/us/en/catalog/desktop/all Intel Shop

Doc

Doc (not an Intel employee or contractor)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Super User Retired Employee

There are a lot of reasonably good deals around for 4th generation Core i7 processors (like the i7-4770K and i7-4790K). The 6th generation part (i7-6700K) is also reasonably priced as well though motherboards for it are slightly more expensive (as is DDR4 memory). For the budget conscious, there are equivalent Core i5 and Core i3 parts as well. I would note that, the newer the parts you use in your system, the longer you will have before compatibility issues arise (I am including the Windows O/S in this category). Thus, my recommendation is to look at the Core i7-6xxx, Core i5-6xxx and Core i3-6xxx processors.

As for motherboards, you can look at the primary ODMs' products, like Asus, MSI and Gigabyte. They all have high-end as well as entry-level (budget conscious) motherboards...

Hope this helps,

...Scott

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello, Al and Scott:

Thank you for the recommendations provided to BrownGus.

BrownGus, if you require any further information or support, feel free to contact the Intel Communities again.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello, BrownGus:

This is to follow up on this inquiry you posted in our communities.

If you require further information or support, please do advise us.

Regards,

Esteban C

0 Kudos